Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 09:09 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, yesterday someone on the R&S forum called me out on a "Many", which I revised to "Some".
Gotta love those message board commenters on the interwebs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 02:12 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think rural people mostly get tired of city people telling them what their best interests are.
That's true.

I grew up on a small farm in Idaho and watched what agri-business did to small farmers. Would they vote against politicians who were sucked in tight with agri-business? Not on your life.

I watched them rant against the government programs that benefited small farmers.

So strange.

That said, there are some mighty nice small farmers and regardless of their political perspectives, they'd be good neighbors.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:45 PM

330 posts, read 429,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Finding liberal rural area anywhere in the nation is going to be tough. Which is strange, since small farmers constantly get screwed by Republican policies.

Though they brag about being independent, government subsidies provide about 40% of farm income. Unfortunately, a great deal of this goes to agri-business rather than small farmers. The top 10% get about 60% of the subsidies.

Health insurance was unaffordable for many small farmers before ACA. The children could get on government funded programs, but the adults were out of luck. If they got hurt or sick, they either sucked it up, or went bankrupt paying medical bills.

That said, as you point out even if liberals are in the minority in rural areas, they are there.
Quote:
That's true.

I grew up on a small farm in Idaho and watched what agri-business did to small farmers. Would they vote against politicians who were sucked in tight with agri-business? Not on your life.

I watched them rant against the government programs that benefited small farmers.

So strange.

That said, there are some mighty nice small farmers and regardless of their political perspectives, they'd be good neighbors.

I wanted to "like" both of these posts but this board, in it's wisdom, says I need to spread the likes around.

whatever! I like what you said.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
That's true.

So strange.

That's what I thought when I first read the OP's initial post. Gonna lose out on a potentially GREAT area to live and prosper because of insisting on a PLU (People Like Us). Also, a potentially really good neighbor and even friend.

My closest friend right now is extremely right wing. I'm a crable liberal leaning center more conservative. I see both sides and think politicians are a waste of time and will never solve anything. And I hate the way too many people nowadays seem to worship certain politicians. Hello? What about First Commandment for Christians who do that?

My friend's politics don't stop me from loving her as a close friend. We have other more important things in common (like our faith).

Tennessee and Kentucky which I believe the OP mentioned are beautiful places. I would live in Knoxville. Who cares if it's mostly conservative? Who says you can't form fantastic relationships with someone who disagrees with you politically? Life is short.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:55 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think rural people mostly get tired of city people telling them what their best interests are.
Who would that be?
I'm rural myself.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:59 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:
Not everyone, although I can see where someone might believe that if they spend their days on City-Data's P&OC forum, lol. Many of us live our lives despite politicians and their nonsense. I don't believe a damn thing any of them say, no matter what party they affiliate themselves with. Politicians' first and foremost interest is getting themselves elected, and after that, they focus on getting themselves re-elected. Anything they may accomplish in between is incidental.

My suggestion is that the OP look for places where people are just not too heavily into politics.
I definitely agree with that. I have an old curmudgeon neighbor who flies a confederate flag (up here in the great Yankee north) he comes down the lane wanting to talk politics. I shut him down!

Old 11-06-2021, 08:06 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I definitely agree with that. I have an old curmudgeon neighbor who flies a confederate flag (up here in the great Yankee north) he comes down the lane wanting to talk politics. I shut him down!
Yup, my sister in Northwestern New Jersey has a neighbor with a Confederate flag. LOL, she told my niece she didn't like it that he has that flag because it makes all conservatives look ignorant. My niece, who is half black, just kind of stared at her...like THAT'S the reason you don't like the Confederate flag?

But that sister is generally a fairly moderate conservative, not extreme. I lean more liberal in many ways, but we have more in common than not. And we both love being in the woods and nature more than we care about politics.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:16 PM

I've got 2 neighbors on each side who fly the Confederate flag. Along with the Blue Line/I Support the Police flag. For the record I absolutely support the police, but not blindly. It bothered me when I first moved here but I'm used to it now. A friend of mine who grew up here tried to explain the historical value of the Confederate flag, that it's as much about history and pride in the ancestors (troops) as it is about racism. I sort of got it. Sort of. To a lot of people it just stirs things up. I try to ignore it because it ain't going away. I like to get along with people.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
My suggestion is that the OP look for places where people are just not too heavily into politics.
Yes,

A strong value set / good 'caring' neighbors likely has NOTHING to do with devisive politics.

It just may be that USA politics as we once knew it / foundational to our country, is no longer serving that purpose. (for the people, by the people).

Time to scrap and restructure.

include our USA educational system & HC / medical services in the remake.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:37 AM

177 posts, read 121,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Funny how Liberals are the least Live and Let Live type people.

You don't really understand country people do you.

I live rurally, 25+ years, liberal but not left........but thankfully, I don't have neighbors who talk to people like you just did. Deep South here.

Are you saying you represent "country people"? because you really don't and therefore should not be so egotistical as to pretend to speak for them.

To the OP: as many have already pointed out, people get along just fine when they don't beat each other over the head with generalizations based on political opinions or affliliations. Most people are *more than just that* and therefore, have more than enough in common to be great neighbors and help each other. I've never had any problems and I live in one of the most conservative counties in my entire already "red state". None of us say or do rude stuff to each other.

However, most of them also aren't trying to "announce" their identity with flags in their yard. There are a few like that but they do tend to be big mouths who are somewhat insecure about their place in the world. The rest of us are busy just being nice human beings to each other and have tons of stuff in common. Maybe because we LOOK for what we have in common instead of looking for what divides us?

Last edited by pavedwithgold; 11-07-2021 at 12:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living