Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 02:17 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am experiencing that kind of issue right now.

I have apartments with rent set at 23% of Minimum-wage, I pay for utilities and heat, trash and I provide a laundry room no coin-ops [I hate coin-op machines]. Most of our tenants will never pay their rent on time. A fairly high percentage will pay first month's rent and security deposit up front to move in, but they will never pay another dime, ever.

I have a bunch of liberal friends who gripe to me all the time that nobody can earn a 'living wage'. I have asked repeatedly what exactly is a 'living wage'? They refuse to answer. If you are working, then you are above the poverty level.

Is 23% of Minimum-Wage too high?

None of my tenants are below the poverty level. But they refuse to pay rent.

I honestly feel that even if rent were $1 a month, they would still refuse to pay. It is not about the amount of money. They are insulted that they are expected to have a job.

There is no shortage of jobs in this area.
Why do you tolerate this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 09:47 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Why do you tolerate this?
The courts have been shut-down due to this plandemic.

About half of my tenants are on early-parole coming out of prison, the parole officer gets along with me fine, but even when a parolee violates his parole, the parole office can not get the courts to issue an arrest warrant, because the courts are shutdown.

I can not get an eviction processed through the courts because the courts are shutdown, due to the plandemic.

A couple of times, I have printed an 'eviction notice' and put it on the apartment door. Sometimes the tenant will leave on his own, and sometimes they do not. Since these evictions have not gone through the court process there is no sheriff deputy on his way to serve the eviction so the parolee can squat in his apartment.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Was this in Minnesota by chance?
No, it was in western WA. I have read that MN Nice is similar to that of Seattle Nice (not where we lived, but dominated by it).

Old 11-12-2021, 01:35 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,274,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Whew!

Dodged a bullet on that one.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:23 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Finding liberal rural area anywhere in the nation is going to be tough. Which is strange, since small farmers constantly get screwed by Republican policies.

Though they brag about being independent, government subsidies provide about 40% of farm income. Unfortunately, a great deal of this goes to agri-business rather than small farmers. The top 10% get about 60% of the subsidies.

Health insurance was unaffordable for many small farmers before ACA. The children could get on government funded programs, but the adults were out of luck. If they got hurt or sick, they either sucked it up, or went bankrupt paying medical bills.

That said, as you point out even if liberals are in the minority in rural areas, they are there.
I bet you can't document any of your statements....Farm subsidies are pretty much limited to subsidized crop insurance (which you hope you don't have to collect on) and various conservation programs where you are paid only a portion of your costs & labor. Contrary to popular myth, there are no direect payments for several decades now...ACA merely included a few more of the poorest people into subsidized healthcare while making it harder for the next higher economic group to afford insurance....Medical debt is only included among the top reasons for bankruptcy because once you go broke, you include all your debts. It isn't THEE reason for going broke in the vssrt majority of cases.

BTW-- in reading thru this trhead, it seems to me posters seem to fall into one of two camps-- Llberal or libertarian, and not too many, if any, full blown conservatives. Is that the same as Makers vs Takers?

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 11-13-2021 at 12:42 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 04:44 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
The courts have been shut-down due to this plandemic.

About half of my tenants are on early-parole coming out of prison, the parole officer gets along with me fine, but even when a parolee violates his parole, the parole office can not get the courts to issue an arrest warrant, because the courts are shutdown.

I can not get an eviction processed through the courts because the courts are shutdown, due to the plandemic.

A couple of times, I have printed an 'eviction notice' and put it on the apartment door. Sometimes the tenant will leave on his own, and sometimes they do not. Since these evictions have not gone through the court process there is no sheriff deputy on his way to serve the eviction so the parolee can squat in his apartment.
I see.

Did you rent to prison parolees on purpose? Are they the ones that are giving you these problems mostly?

Old 11-13-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I see.

Did you rent to prison parolees on purpose?
I bought a commercial building that had been vacant for decades. It took us four years to rehab the building to make it into apartments and to bring it up to current codes. During that time, I fell into a group that offers support to parolees.

For a parolee to get early release they must have been 'good' in prison and competed to get into a 'work-release' program. Before their social workers contact me, the parolee has been holding a fulltime job for over a year. They are referred to me when they have sufficient income flow to support themselves and they each have enough cash in hand to cover first months rent and security deposit. We do not take any government subsidies.

As it turns out, the primary threat to a parolee's freedom is lonely women. These men are outside for 2 or maybe 3 days when a woman latches onto them. The women convince them to quit their jobs and free load. To a man who has been in prison for over 5 years, there is nothing an old man like me can say to turn their heads away from a woman wrapping her legs around them.

When I advertise to the public, most applicants are 'looking for work' and have very spotty work history. Whereas these men all have jobs and they have held their jobs for over a year.

Quote:
... Are they the ones that are giving you these problems mostly?
We are in an economy where every business is hiring.

I am willing to take in anyone who has a job.

But the only reason anyone is willing to have a job is if having a job is a pre-requirement to sign a lease. As soon as they move into an apartment they quit their job to free load.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:07 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
I bought a commercial building that had been vacant for decades. It took us four years to rehab the building to make it into apartments and to bring it up to current codes. During that time, I fell into a group that offers support to parolees.

For a parolee to get early release they must have been 'good' in prison and competed to get into a 'work-release' program. Before their social workers contact me, the parolee has been holding a fulltime job for over a year. They are referred to me when they have sufficient income flow to support themselves and they each have enough cash in hand to cover first months rent and security deposit. We do not take any government subsidies.

As it turns out, the primary threat to a parolee's freedom is lonely women. These men are outside for 2 or maybe 3 days when a woman latches onto them. The women convince them to quit their jobs and free load. To a man who has been in prison for over 5 years, there is nothing an old man like me can say to turn their heads away from a woman wrapping her legs around them.

When I advertise to the public, most applicants are 'looking for work' and have very spotty work history. Whereas these men all have jobs and they have held their jobs for over a year.

We are in an economy where every business is hiring.

I am willing to take in anyone who has a job.

But the only reason anyone is willing to have a job is if having a job is a pre-requirement to sign a lease. As soon as they move into an apartment they quit their job to free load.
Wow.

A friend of mine owns a dozen properties in northern Colorado, some of them in more rural districts. Probably half his tenants are pure scum. There was one place where if he needed to do some maintenance, he'd bring his son (Iraq veteran) and both of them would be packing; he thinks the tenants were in league with Mexican drug cartels. Luckily they moved out (leaving trash, pets, etc. -- he inherited a cat that way). The good thing is that he is, on paper, rather wealthy. The bad thing is having to deal with the scum, and also he does a lot of his own maintenance on top of his full time engineering job. I imagine he's looking forward to the day when he can just unload all these properties.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Wow.

A friend of mine owns a dozen properties in northern Colorado, some of them in more rural districts. Probably half his tenants are pure scum. There was one place where if he needed to do some maintenance, he'd bring his son (Iraq veteran) and both of them would be packing; he thinks the tenants were in league with Mexican drug cartels. Luckily they moved out (leaving trash, pets, etc. -- he inherited a cat that way). The good thing is that he is, on paper, rather wealthy. The bad thing is having to deal with the scum, and also he does a lot of his own maintenance on top of his full time engineering job. I imagine he's looking forward to the day when he can just unload all these properties.
During my Active Duty career, we lived in many different regions. We bought Multi-Family-Residences at each location. One apartment for my family to live in and two, three or five apartments for tenants. We lived in each of those buildings ourselves. We rented primarily to fellow servicemembers, we were very impressed with how well our Net Worth grew by doing that.

After retiring from the military we moved out extremely rural, built our own house and setup for an off-grid lifestyle. Twenty years later an opportunity to invest in a commercial property came along, and because of our previous experience managing apartments we were not hesitant to do it again.

But this time, we do not live in the building ourselves. The property is not even in the same town where we live. There are no Active Duty servicemembers to rent to. Breaking even has turned out to be much more difficult this time around.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:33 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Wow.

Jeez, and people wring their hands over vacation rental properties being more desirable to property owners. Wonder why, hmmmm? Too many parasites combined with laws that make criminals into “the victims” = Who the heck would want to rent to risky tenants? Squatters taking legal possession of vacant properties by using adverse possession claims, way to go, U.S.A.

Yeah, this is going off on a tangent. Back to the OP: Got land—then expect to work so hard you don’t have time to cherry-pick the politically perfect neighbors for you. Worry about weather, water supply, invasive animals and plants, markets for whatever you grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living