Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
After living in small-town conservative Texas for more years than I care to remember, you and I both know how they act towards anyone with a different mindset, especially a liberal one.
How would they even know what your mindset is, unless you continually push it on other people?

My motto: Live and let live - mind your business and I'll mind my own. I live in a liberal city in a red state. It disgusts me with some of the policies enacted by the current administration and supported by some citizens, but I keep my opinions to myself and vote according to my conscience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 12:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
I’d disagree that most rural folks don’t announce their political side. Driving through rural areas these past few elections, I saw many, many political campaign signs in farmhouse yards. Same thing in small towns.
It is probably us ex spies that don't announce our political side for we fall into one of two groups. To get away from it all or....."No need to believe in either side or any side.".

The problem is, of course, A, B, and C. A: We are terrifically well armed for if in anything else, who is out there who wants to make us a target? I know that sounds like not having a grasp on reality but it is not meant to mean that we think the FSB is coming after us. Rather, what gang would like us to be an initiation target?

B: Here's a very big thing: what does the OP want to bring to the country side, what does the OP want in the country side? I have an associate in one line of my life, not in my region fortunately, who believes that high speed, broad band Internet is essentially a human right and wants it everywhere. Well, I don't! I came to live where I am because I like the concept of living in 1950s Outback, in Skippy the Kangaroo land
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_the_Air

I don't want the technology of it, I don't want the expectation of it, I don't want the infrastructure impact of it, and I certainly don't want the taxes of it.

BUT when someone says they are liberal leaning, I see that as someone who wants the laws changed so they can live their life the way they want........and that does not thrill me.

C: Live and Let Live. A novel I started to read once told of a spy who returned from retirement. He was living in the hills of W. VA on land with two white tigers that were a gift from a "sultan" for services rendered. But, animal activists came and killed the tigers and he came back into the business.

Okay, no white tigers here but I do live in my own little world. Sometimes, I'm a Little Red Riding Hood witch, sometimes I'm a ranger on a forest world. "Stay on your side, don't do anything that would change my world, and we'll get along fine.".

SO-o, in answer to the question? Go to California, there are lot of liberals there.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The only reason Montana enacted woman’s suffrage was to have enough voters to claim statehood
It wasn’t because the men valued women as equals but because numbers were more important in such a low population area...
They wanted statehood for empowerment of MEN in Montana
Not women really
Really....
In that case, why did Montana elect Jeanette Rankin to the US House of Representatives in 1916, several years before women had the right to vote?

She was the first woman to hold Federal elected office in the United States.

Next wrong assumption about Montana..............I'll wait.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:31 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6694 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
Gosh, that's a puzzler. Perhaps you can check out land for sale near large rural hippie communes? The only one that I personally am acquainted with is https://www.twinoaks.org/about-twino...munity/welcome in Lousia VA. It's been there since the 60s. I don't know about fifty acres but there's a sweet 17+ acre tract in the neighborhood that I am mightily attracted to (won't be bidding on it though).
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...78136073_zpid/

It's kinda in the back end of nowhere but is within an hour's drive of Richmond VA where you can find many shops, restaurants, museums, and events to amuse yourself when you want to get away to "the big city."

Last edited by ersatz; 05-03-2021 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,395 times
As someone originally from rural PA, I disagree vehemently with the PA suggestion. The rural areas are super red, super Trump and super ignorant. PA is only purple because of the blue cities. I can't stand to go home anymore after discovering what people are really like and have cut ties with family and friends who spew their toxic venom. While the anti-"guvmint" types, "they are comin fer yur gun" nuts, racists, etc.. were always there, after 2016 it seems the crazies are really all in your face too- I vehemently disagree that they "are more concerned with making a living and don't have much time to be protesting or shaming people who disagree with them". Have you ever been there??

They will be in your face and you won't escape it. This is the land of Trump parades with people swearing at you/calling you names, etc.. and you will find their opinions in everything from guns, to education, environment, etc.. There is no interest in learning about different places, people or ideas. Even many of the teachers and medical staff express unbelievably ignorant viewpoints. I love rural areas, but can't stand most of the people and the ignorance. I've always wanted to move to VT. It seems to the one place with country and educated people / welcoming opinions and values and that actually cares about the environment. Most rural areas don't want to preserve their environment or historic towns- it's "guvmint control" and so they'd rather pave over that farm field for a super walmart, or toxic factory that pollutes their air or water and tear down a historic building in the name of "progress" you know -for a Dollar Tree or something. PA is also ground zero for fracking, which translates into environmental degradation, all sorts of social ills (man camps, increased crime, prostitution, etc..) and greed.

I have to say maybe you mean something different by "stay out of your business" ; and no one wants busybodies harassing them or telling them what to do..but one of the most pernicious and toxic viewpoints in rural areas is this idea of "staying out of people's business"/don't want to rock the boat... that's how a lot of animal (or child) abuse happens, environmental destruction, and other social ills...(e.g. I recently learned that Northern PA has a large problem with parents selling their kids into sexual slavery for money or drugs). Also, no one wants to rock the boat, so these areas never improve. I can't stand that rural mentality. That line that "small towns are like a family" is BS. Maybe a completely dysfunctional one, where no one can speak up and concerns are stifled. That mentality is used to cover a lot of things and is does not promote "community".

Old 05-03-2021, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,395 times
Why is concern for the environment, wanting regulation on CAFOs (if that's what you mean by animal husbandry) or having to follow animal welfare laws considered so evil by conservatives? Isn't ironic that when people live in a beautiful area - they want to be able to destroy it as quickly as possible and however they want to? Or ironic to be celebrating rural areas and small towns (like the irony of country music) yet fighting tooth and nail against protections for them- and turning "regulation" into a dirty word?- completely bizarre. And I say this as someone originally from a red, rural area...

Old 05-03-2021, 01:15 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
How would they even know what your mindset is, unless you continually push it on other people?

My motto: Live and let live - mind your business and I'll mind my own. I live in a liberal city in a red state. It disgusts me with some of the policies enacted by the current administration and supported by some citizens, but I keep my opinions to myself and vote according to my conscience.
There you go, now you know exactly how I felt. There is a difference between city living and a small town. I live in an affluent mostly educated conservative city and I’m fine with it because educated, affluent conservatives want the same things that I want.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:24 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastportgrl View Post
Why is concern for the environment, wanting regulation on CAFOs (if that's what you mean by animal husbandry) or having to follow animal welfare laws considered so evil by conservatives? Isn't ironic that when people live in a beautiful area - they want to be able to destroy it as quickly as possible and however they want to? Or ironic to be celebrating rural areas and small towns (like the irony of country music) yet fighting tooth and nail against protections for them- and turning "regulation" into a dirty word?- completely bizarre. And I say this as someone originally from a red, rural area...
I think you're responding to me... And I don't think ALL those things are bad (no one but you has used the term "evil") necessarily....only saying it's a little contradictory to look for "rural left-leaning places" that have no zoning or environmental or animal husbandry regulations. Those are the kinds of things left leaning areas are most prone to do. So if our OP doesn't want those left-leaning ideas, what exactly is our OP looking for?

Even as a conservative, I'm not against all of them, only the silly ones that make no sense. I could give examples details if you really care.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Because almost invariably "protecting the environment", regulating CAFOs, imposing zoning restrictions means massive job loss and even more hollowing out of rural areas.

Also being from rural PA and now living in what was once very rural Maryland my experience has been that people moving to those areas from the more urban areas are the ones who ruin it with demands for "more shopping", streetlights and sidewalks on rural roads, banning hunting, banning fishing, banning crabbing (note that I live on Chesapeake Bay), dog parks, regulations on farming (we had to pass Right to Farm laws here because people were suing the **** out of the farmers for things like going too slow on their tractors), filing lawsuits to stop regulated timber cutting (a lawsuit that was recently filed here against a requirement, regular cutting, of having a Forest Preservation designation) requirements to keep chickens (right now it's a minimum of 10 acres to keep three birds-that's in the Ag Zone), demanding a Historic Preservation District be created then filing suit to have their house exempted from it. And on and on.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:34 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
As someone originally from rural PA, I disagree vehemently with the PA suggestion. The rural areas are super red, super Trump and super ignorant. PA is only purple because of the blue cities. I can't stand to go home anymore after discovering what people are really like and have cut ties with family and friends who spew their toxic venom. While the anti-"guvmint" types, "they are comin fer yur gun" nuts, racists, etc.. were always there, after 2016 it seems the crazies are really all in your face too- I vehemently disagree that they "are more concerned with making a living and don't have much time to be protesting or shaming people who disagree with them". Have you ever been there??

They will be in your face and you won't escape it. This is the land of Trump parades with people swearing at you/calling you names, etc.. and you will find their opinions in everything from guns, to education, environment, etc.. There is no interest in learning about different places, people or ideas. Even many of the teachers and medical staff express unbelievably ignorant viewpoints. I love rural areas, but can't stand most of the people and the ignorance. I've always wanted to move to VT. It seems to the one place with country and educated people / welcoming opinions and values and that actually cares about the environment. Most rural areas don't want to preserve their environment or historic towns- it's "guvmint control" and so they'd rather pave over that farm field for a super walmart, or toxic factory that pollutes their air or water and tear down a historic building in the name of "progress" you know -for a Dollar Tree or something. PA is also ground zero for fracking, which translates into environmental degradation, all sorts of social ills (man camps, increased crime, prostitution, etc..) and greed.

I have to say maybe you mean something different by "stay out of your business" ; and no one wants busybodies harassing them or telling them what to do..but one of the most pernicious and toxic viewpoints in rural areas is this idea of "staying out of people's business"/don't want to rock the boat... that's how a lot of animal (or child) abuse happens, environmental destruction, and other social ills...(e.g. I recently learned that Northern PA has a large problem with parents selling their kids into sexual slavery for money or drugs). Also, no one wants to rock the boat, so these areas never improve. I can't stand that rural mentality. That line that "small towns are like a family" is BS. Maybe a completely dysfunctional one, where no one can speak up and concerns are stifled. That mentality is used to cover a lot of things and is does not promote "community".
Oh, the irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living