Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:11 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
OP would be very welcomed in SW Wisconsin, NE Iowa and/or SE Minnesota. There are a lot of small farms, many women owned, in that area (51% of farmland in Iowa is owned by women!) However, the climate in those areas is very similar to New England, with cold and snowy winters (though summers are hotter.) And agricultural land is expensive everywhere.

It is impossible anywhere in America now to find a place where people don't outwardly exhibit their political point of view. It is a complete and total myth that rural people keep their political views private. They might not use the names of the political parties, but they definitely express their points of view to whoever is listening, often assuming that the listeners agree with them. And many behaviors non-verbally convey political pov. Just go to Wal-mart or Tractor Supply now and observe how many people are wearing masks; sadly, that will give anyone a pretty good idea about what things are like in that area.

I think things are definitely getting better now, though, and hopefully over the next few years everyone will begin to calm down and just live their lives.

Good luck, OP!
I so hope you are right, I'm so tired of this division!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 05:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I so hope you are right, I'm so tired of this division!
This is a free country: politics have always reflected division of opposing opinions. The same is true of other free countries. People who wish a country to be of one mind may wish to consider China.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:39 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6694 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
New England or the outskirts of University and College towns are your best bets. NH and much of ME are not all that progressive.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:43 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Someone is seriously confused. You want to live with necks, live like a neck, but think you are not a neck? Does that sum it up?

Old 05-04-2021, 07:26 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Aside from inheriting a farm, another way to acquire a farm is to marry a farmer. In order to do this, you need to bring something to the table. A full-time job with a defined-benefit pension and full medical insurance, for instance. Teaching is a popular option. It's even better if the other spouse drives school bus part-time. The reason for this is that many family farms do not provide enough income to make a living. In fact, it's not uncommon to sell off frontage lots periodically in order to keep the farm going.

The nearly 15 acres I bought in 1986 had been part of a farm that went bankrupt.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:36 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6694 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
Whew!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Aside from inheriting a farm, another way to acquire a farm is to marry a farmer. In order to do this, you need to bring something to the table. A full-time job with a defined-benefit pension and full medical insurance, for instance. Teaching is a popular option. It's even better if the other spouse drives school bus part-time. The reason for this is that many family farms do not provide enough income to make a living. In fact, it's not uncommon to sell off frontage lots periodically in order to keep the farm going.

The nearly 15 acres I bought in 1986 had been part of a farm that went bankrupt.

Reminds me of one of my favorite TV dream concepts:

Frasier: Where are the Thomasons? Why is that dog still here?
Daphne: I'm sorry, Dr. Crane, but they struck me as unfit guardians.
Frasier: Oh for God's sake, he works at the zoo! She's a nurse, Billy's an altar boy and Kathy is a Campfire Girl!
Daphne: They had a dark aura.
Frasier: They had a ten-acre farm! If they'd taken me, I'd have gone with them!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:45 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Let’s just be honest
Each side of the political scale wants THEIR POV to guide the tiller of ship of state
If conservatives believed in live and let live there would be no rush to amend voting laws in red states that might go blue
Maybe if we had a secure border we wouldn't need any ID for anything.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:14 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Troll thread from a 1 time poster.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:41 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
After living in small-town conservative Texas for more years than I care to remember, you and I both know how they act towards anyone with a different mindset, especially a liberal one.
This ^^

Some places are fine as long as you don't mention your views, nor bring it up in any way. For example, I've known some who live in the south and have a "don't ask, don't tell" approach where they never mention they're not Christian, or otherwise some other faith. If they ask what church you belong to, have some "canned response" ready that'll deflect that inquiry. Not all of them will treat you like a 2nd class citizen if you're not "one of them", but better to avoid going into such muddy waters in the first place. Frankly, I try to avoid this even if I'm living with those with same views as me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Maybe if we had a secure border we wouldn't need any ID for anything.
Illegals? If we want to take care of that, then go after the businesses that hire them. For example, Florida could easily nip that in the bud. However, when they tried to, their corporate donors told them that they use labor from them, and to not do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living