Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 02:36 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Troll thread from a 1 time poster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Gone, like a fart in the wind.
I don't think she liked the responses she was receiving. Like most leftists, she wanted to receive a chorus of like-minded replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Driving in from the ranch this morning, another thing hit me that might not go over too well, liberally speaking: our big pickup trucks and SUVs fit well to our lives out here. Enough said.
See there you go assuming you know everything about “liberals”
We have driven SUVs for past 15 years and live in suburbs but also had a Camry Hybrid

And we all’ ow plenty of people who never saw cow **** or rode a horse are driving jacked up trucks w/plenty of pull just because they think they reflect their macho, ready-to-go self-image

Old 05-05-2021, 03:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I don't think she liked the responses she was receiving. Like most leftists, she wanted to receive a chorus of like-minded replies.
Once again you prove how single minded and judgmental conservatives can be
You have no idea why she didn’t return but assume what fits your narrative

Old 05-05-2021, 03:39 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
See there you go assuming you know everything about “liberals”
We have driven SUVs for past 15 years and live in suburbs but also had a Camry Hybrid

And we all’ ow plenty of people who never saw cow **** or rode a horse are driving jacked up trucks w/plenty of pull just because they think they reflect their macho, ready-to-go self-image

This seems an appropriate place to say......Well, that's what makes horse races.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:58 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6694 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
You don't say how much your budget is. Because there are farms and rural areas all over, including NJ (people like to laugh at our "Garden State" moniker, but we do a lot of farming here) but of course even rural NJ is going to be more expensive than a southern or midwestern state, and while the state is liberal, the rural areas still tend not to be.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:00 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Like-minded replies? To what? She didn't offer an opinion, she asked for advice. People responded as if she offered some kind of political opinion and instead of giving her advice, started immediately mocking and deriding her. No one who made those posts had any actual advice for her, so what would be the point of her staying?

Old 05-05-2021, 07:47 PM

765 posts, read 621,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Like-minded replies? To what? She didn't offer an opinion, she asked for advice. People responded as if she offered some kind of political opinion and instead of giving her advice, started immediately mocking and deriding her. No one who made those posts had any actual advice for her, so what would be the point of her staying?
Oh, but how will she know what places to go, unless people immediately judge her for being "judgemental", even though she hasn't actually judged anything?

Everyone knows only the liberals would be so gauche as to assume things based on politics, after all./s

Old 05-06-2021, 06:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
I have never had any issues in country areas in the US. People on the right are much more tolerant and kindhearted, so there should be no issues, unless you act like a fool like we see in every city in the US.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:18 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
The Wayne-Homes county area where I live is a typical rural/Micropolitan area. There are liberals here, and liberal churches, including a Universalist church. However, liberals are a minority. The last democratic presidential candidate that won in Wayne county was Lyndon B. Johnson. The last democratic presidential candidate that won in Holmes county was Franklin D. Roosevelt. When driving in this area, you will see the occasional Trump sign, including Trump 2024. You will also see the occasional sign in support of law enforcement.

There happen to be 2 different vacant lands for sale in Wayne county right now in the 60-70 acre range. The asking price for one is $940,000, while the asking price for the other is $1,500,000.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:56 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:

I know the OP has not come back, but it's still an interesting topic in these times of people increasingly fleeing the urban areas for quieter, safer rural districts where they can work remote.

This is nothing new, though. Many a quiet town has been turned into a bedroom community and its rural charm destroyed.

The one enduring characteristic of rural communities that repels city folk is guns. As long as rural folk cling to their guns and religion (as a recent President put it), it will serve as a kind of inoculation against being overrun.

Plus, who knows? Some of these city-born folks may decide to take up shooting and hunting and fishing, and be won over! It's happened.

My dream is to move away from this liberal town in a deep-indigo state, to a rural area with lots of open skies, lots of hunting opportunities and lots of mind-your-own-business folks. I mean, certainly some people will mind your business no matter where you go, no matter what their color or creed may be. But at least they won't live 20 feet from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living