Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Really....
In that case, why did Montana elect Jeanette Rankin to the US House of Representatives in 1916, several years before women had the right to vote?

She was the first woman to hold Federal elected office in the United States.

Next wrong assumption about Montana..............I'll wait.
Maybe there were more women voters than men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 02:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Let’s just be honest
Each side of the political scale wants THEIR POV to guide the tiller of ship of state
If conservatives believed in live and let live there would be no rush to amend voting laws in red states that might go blue

Old 05-03-2021, 02:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
We haven't come very far when people now want to self-segregate in advance because they may not agree with their neighbors.
Reminds me of people who move to an area and say they want diversity but they want people who look just like them.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:49 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Parts of Upstate NY would work. The Amish and Mennonites have caught on to the affordable land that can be found in rural areas of the state(Lewis, Yates, Jefferson, Cortland, St. Lawrence and Seneca Counties, among others). Same for the Watchtower Society(Watchtower), African American Muslims(Islamburg) and Hasidic Jews(Kiryas Joel, among others).

Perhaps rural/small town areas with a college nearby as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-03-2021 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 03:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
OP would be very welcomed in SW Wisconsin, NE Iowa and/or SE Minnesota. There are a lot of small farms, many women owned, in that area (51% of farmland in Iowa is owned by women!) However, the climate in those areas is very similar to New England, with cold and snowy winters (though summers are hotter.) And agricultural land is expensive everywhere.

It is impossible anywhere in America now to find a place where people don't outwardly exhibit their political point of view. It is a complete and total myth that rural people keep their political views private. They might not use the names of the political parties, but they definitely express their points of view to whoever is listening, often assuming that the listeners agree with them. And many behaviors non-verbally convey political pov. Just go to Wal-mart or Tractor Supply now and observe how many people are wearing masks; sadly, that will give anyone a pretty good idea about what things are like in that area.

I think things are definitely getting better now, though, and hopefully over the next few years everyone will begin to calm down and just live their lives.

Good luck, OP!

Old 05-03-2021, 03:44 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
OP would be very welcomed in SW Wisconsin, NE Iowa and/or SE Minnesota. There are a lot of small farms, many women owned, in that area (51% of farmland in Iowa is owned by women!) However, the climate in those areas is very similar to New England, with cold and snowy winters (though summers are hotter.) And agricultural land is expensive everywhere.

It is impossible anywhere in America now to find a place where people don't outwardly exhibit their political point of view. It is a complete and total myth that rural people keep their political views private. They might not use the names of the political parties, but they definitely express their points of view to whoever is listening, often assuming that the listeners agree with them. And many behaviors non-verbally convey political pov. Just go to Wal-mart or Tractor Supply now and observe how many people are wearing masks; sadly, that will give anyone a pretty good idea about what things are like in that area.

I think things are definitely getting better now, though, and hopefully over the next few years everyone will begin to calm down and just live their lives.

Good luck, OP!
Funny, I've been at both Tractor Supply and Wal Mart in the last week and every single person at both stores were wearing masks.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:00 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Great! Tells someone who has never been there a lot about the people who live in your area!

Old 05-03-2021, 04:10 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastportgrl View Post
As someone originally from rural PA, I disagree vehemently with the PA suggestion. The rural areas are super red, super Trump and super ignorant. PA is only purple because of the blue cities. I can't stand to go home anymore after discovering what people are really like and have cut ties with family and friends who spew their toxic venom. While the anti-"guvmint" types, "they are comin fer yur gun" nuts, racists, etc.. were always there, after 2016 it seems the crazies are really all in your face too- I vehemently disagree that they "are more concerned with making a living and don't have much time to be protesting or shaming people who disagree with them". Have you ever been there??

They will be in your face and you won't escape it. This is the land of Trump parades with people swearing at you/calling you names, etc.. and you will find their opinions in everything from guns, to education, environment, etc.. There is no interest in learning about different places, people or ideas. Even many of the teachers and medical staff express unbelievably ignorant viewpoints. I love rural areas, but can't stand most of the people and the ignorance. I've always wanted to move to VT. It seems to the one place with country and educated people / welcoming opinions and values and that actually cares about the environment. Most rural areas don't want to preserve their environment or historic towns- it's "guvmint control" and so they'd rather pave over that farm field for a super walmart, or toxic factory that pollutes their air or water and tear down a historic building in the name of "progress" you know -for a Dollar Tree or something. PA is also ground zero for fracking, which translates into environmental degradation, all sorts of social ills (man camps, increased crime, prostitution, etc..) and greed.

I have to say maybe you mean something different by "stay out of your business" ; and no one wants busybodies harassing them or telling them what to do..but one of the most pernicious and toxic viewpoints in rural areas is this idea of "staying out of people's business"/don't want to rock the boat... that's how a lot of animal (or child) abuse happens, environmental destruction, and other social ills...(e.g. I recently learned that Northern PA has a large problem with parents selling their kids into sexual slavery for money or drugs). Also, no one wants to rock the boat, so these areas never improve. I can't stand that rural mentality. That line that "small towns are like a family" is BS. Maybe a completely dysfunctional one, where no one can speak up and concerns are stifled. That mentality is used to cover a lot of things and is does not promote "community".
I just love open minded people!

Can't deal with those "super ignorant" cusses. Spew Spew Spew

Old 05-03-2021, 04:43 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Maybe there were more women voters than men
The 19th amendment granting women the right to vote was ratified in 1920, 4 years AFTER she was elected, so no, there weren't more female voters than men in 1916.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:09 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The 19th amendment granting women the right to vote was ratified in 1920, 4 years AFTER she was elected, so no, there weren't more female voters than men in 1916.
I didn't bring the topic of women's suffrage to argue with anyone, just making myself clear. Just an interesting fact I learned recently.

On November 3, 1914, Montana men voted 53 to 47 percent in favor of equal suffrage. That year Montana (and Nevada, which also passed a suffrage amendment in 1914) joined nine other western states in extending voting rights to non-Native women. (Indian women would have to wait until passage of the 1924 Indian Citizenship Act to gain access to the ballot.)

Read the rest of the history here, it's very interesting.

Suffrage | Women's History Matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living