Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 09:54 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Well, if enough of the longtime locals’ family members are the ones getting killed, the only-transplants-want-lower-speed-limits thing might shift. But I don’t think that attitude is prevalent here. In my area, the combination of high-speed highways (with plenty of big rigs) plus the “local roads” intersecting them does create high risk of both human accidents and animal ones.

The numerous carcasses on both kinds of roads offer proof. Nobody lets human bodies lie unremoved. Both locals and others get killed.
Nobody is getting killed here, or hurt, thank goodness. And I am not certain about the actual extent of the verbal complaints about speeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 11:18 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This is VT....I checked the Agency of Transportation documents about speed limits and it confirms 50 MPH where there is no signage.

I do like your idea of creating a separate, private FB group for this particular issue. Thank you for that suggestion. I'm not really 'running' anything, just an interested resident in town. We're a little informal here

From what I remember of the speed limit in VT pages I linked to, it specified 25 MPH in a residential, even when not posted. 50 would be crazy, even for Vermont.

The group is awesome. You'd be surprised how much people in my development use it. Someone is posting at least 5 times a week. With people getting groceries and food delivered during COVID, people post if they find bags at their door that aren't theirs. People missing packages, asking for a plumber, appliance repair, even dentists and doctors.

I agree about having the speed posted in certain areas, at least for a reminder because not many people remember their driving book where it's 25 unless it's posted something faster.

We know people are speeding on the main road in my development. It's 25; there's a speed limit sign when you 1st turn in, people will do 25 until they pass my street. Once they're passed my street, they gun it, doing 40 and over until they see another 25 MPH sign.

We have the flashing speed limit sign as well as a cop that comes every now and then. e hands out a lot of tickets when he is here. I know I don't want a 20 MPH over the speed limit ticket because it's expensive.

Thankfully no one has gotten hurt where you are but I'll be shocked if someone doesn't get hurt. You should push for signs at the school at least where it's 25 then 15 if that's how your state is. No one wants to lose their child to someone speeding by a school.

Here are those Vermont speed limit links I left for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The trooper is wrong.

By me residential is 25 MPH, a school zone would be similar but going to 15 MPH as you're actually passing the school.

You need to find out what the residential and school speed limits are in your state. Google Vermont speed limit residential 25 miles per hour
The maximum speed limit on residential roads in Vermont is 25 miles per hour.

Vermont Speed Limit - Speed-Limits.com

Vermont Speed Limits - National Speed Limits in Vermont

Quote:
In school zones, the speed limit can range from 15 mph (24 km/h) to 25 mph (40 km/h), depending on local authority. The minimum speed is defined at 40 mph (64 km/h) only on Interstate highways. That includes where the limit is posted at 55 mph (89 km/h) and 65 mph (105 km/h).
Speed bumps are not allowed in my town because of plows and rescue vehicles even though we do have some streets that do have them. The town will not put any more speed bumps in.

Speed comes up regularly in the Facebook group for my development. You should see if your town has a FB group and if not, consider making one. Make it private. Start a speed limit discussion to see how everyone feels. You'd be surprised how many people do not know that residential is 25, even when no signage. That is the law and I believe it was a question on my drivers test when I did it at 17.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:08 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
On rural roads, an effective (and cheap!) way to slow down drivers is to leave the roads narrow and bumpy. So-called road improvements make people drive faster, regardless what the speed limit signs say.

In towns or areas of shops or many houses, adding landscaped medians and eliminating any more than two lanes (one in each direction) also has the effect of making the road feel like it should be driven more slowly. Actual, consistent ticketing helps, too.
I live in an area with lots of narrow (substandard) roads, curves, hills, and bumps. Those do not make folks slow down. In fact they are some of the best places to push it a bit because of the fun factor. "Straitening the curves. Flattening the hills...."

But I'm trying to figure out the problem here. The OP has said the actual speed limit is OK. Or if there actually is a speeding problem.

Enforcement doesn't seem to fix the real problem and instead catches those who want enforcement, is most people seem to be in the "few miles over" situation and get caught just by the numbers of them. The egregious speeders, the ones who are really dangerous, you almost never see them pulled over because the odds are in their favor there won't be a cop there. If there are a hundred cars a day doing 40 in the 35 zone, that's much more target rich environment than the half a dozen doing 70 in the 35 zone.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I live in an area with lots of narrow (substandard) roads, curves, hills, and bumps. Those do not make folks slow down. In fact they are some of the best places to push it a bit because of the fun factor. "Straitening the curves. Flattening the hills...."

But I'm trying to figure out the problem here. The OP has said the actual speed limit is OK. Or if there actually is a speeding problem.

Enforcement doesn't seem to fix the real problem and instead catches those who want enforcement, is most people seem to be in the "few miles over" situation and get caught just by the numbers of them. The egregious speeders, the ones who are really dangerous, you almost never see them pulled over because the odds are in their favor there won't be a cop there. If there are a hundred cars a day doing 40 in the 35 zone, that's much more target rich environment than the half a dozen doing 70 in the 35 zone.
I was talking about rough dirt roads, with deep ruts. Not just potholey pavement or washboard or curves.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

We have 'complaints' of speeding in certain areas of town. I personally don't know how many complaints have been made and/or if they are all for the same locations.
My guess is they are not going as fast as people probably think they area.
When I described our local governing board proposing to contract out with the local sheriff for 'enforcement,' even THEY didn't elaborate on how many complaints had been received or for what areas, so on the face of it, I think they were premature with that recommendation. Besides, a trooper who lives in our area commented to a resident that we don't have proper sign placement. She'd write a ticket or two, but there aren't sufficient signs to support that.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:55 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
wonder if those cameras would work. Not sure if it's enforceable but they have cameras that also record your speed. You could watch later and notify the speeder they've been recorded speeding.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
wonder if those cameras would work. Not sure if it's enforceable but they have cameras that also record your speed. You could watch later and notify the speeder they've been recorded speeding.
The town governing body is now proceding with getting proper signage posted as a first step. Then, perhaps, the state police might issue a ticket or two.
They even suggested to a resident who showed up at the last meeting that they take a picture of the vehicle and that the state police could issue a ticket based on that (uh....no I don't think they can do that).
Made me realize that all their catterwalling about hiring a patrol officer to enforce speeds around town was way premature.

I think cameras might be a good idea, too, although I am not sure of the cost.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:23 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
The town governing body is now proceding with getting proper signage posted as a first step. Then, perhaps, the state police might issue a ticket or two.
They even suggested to a resident who showed up at the last meeting that they take a picture of the vehicle and that the state police could issue a ticket based on that (uh....no I don't think they can do that).
Made me realize that all their catterwalling about hiring a patrol officer to enforce speeds around town was way premature.

I think cameras might be a good idea, too, although I am not sure of the cost.

Compared to human life, minimal.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:26 PM

22 posts, read 35,236 times
Quote:
"I was surfing around the web looking for traffic control measures short of having a cop on the corner so perhaps I could make some suggestions to them. I think speed bumps are out because it's state road and the town can't put them up on their own.
Since the state has jurisdiction you can request a speed zone study of that stretch through ODOT.
Speed bumps can be a tough sell depending on the area because of emergency vehicle access.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:30 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Here there is a very high fatality pedestrian vs. vehicle. Lots of hit n runs too. It has got to be alot worse than years before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living