Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 03:34 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times

Advertisements

I had blinds the first year in my home and then I had shutters installed. I am still very happy with them.

There is a divider separating the top 25% from the bottom 75% so the top can be opened while the bottom remains closed for privacy, and all shutter slats can be flipped down to let light in while still allowing for privacy.

Got shutters installed on the sliding door too.

I like how they dim the house during the day in addition to keeping it cooler/warmer, depending on the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 03:38 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
No, I have a forest.

The curious thing is that I had this talk here on CD about 5 years ago and someone pointed out.....you are in the middle of nowhere, you have a surrounding forest, why do you need curtains?

It was good advice. For if in anything else.....the cats would have a ball!

I do have floor screens, both bought and big, fancy, expensive ones I inherited. The floor screens are in my bedroom and if I am ever entertaining in the Mistress bedroom, then I might want them there. But for the most part, between the forest and the spiders outside my window, I don't care. The big fancy ones might find a place if I ever want to shield the kitchen off from the great room.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-29-2021 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-29-2021, 03:45 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
No. I live in a woodsy spot and enjoy an unobstructed, open, view, of Nature. On my front door, I do have curtains that were woven with small spaces between the weaves, whereby I can see who is there, but they cannot see me.

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-29-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-29-2021, 04:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
We have blinds. Mostly to hold heat in during the winter and sunlight out on hot summer afternoons.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:41 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
We have a vacation home rental in a pristine area.

We did put curtains in the bedrooms and the windows at the front door. The remainder of the house is blind and curtain free since there are no neighbors at all close.

We do have outside bamboo blinds on the south facing windows to lower the sun heating up the house in summer. You can see clearly inside the house at night even with the bamboo blinds dropped.

We just had a guest that complained about the lack of blinds!! We have lived in homes without neighbors for the past 40 years and never had curtains on our windows, except for bedrooms and front door area.

Do you have blinds on your windows??
Did you ever see the movie The Strangers, with Liv Tyler? There are other similar movies, too.

I'd never sleep in a room w/o coverings over all the windows and a door that closes & locks. Danger lurks in the shadows and remote areas.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:03 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I had blinds the first year in my home and then I had shutters installed. I am still very happy with them.

There is a divider separating the top 25% from the bottom 75% so the top can be opened while the bottom remains closed for privacy, and all shutter slats can be flipped down to let light in while still allowing for privacy.

Got shutters installed on the sliding door too.

I like how they dim the house during the day in addition to keeping it cooler/warmer, depending on the season.
We live in a residential community and had blinds installed before settlement when we had the house built for retirement because the house was going to be mostly empty until the furniture we'd ordered arrived over a period of months while we lived there only on weekends. We now live here full time and are waiting for the plantation shutters we ordered to be installed. We have no other window coverings aka curtains. In the bedroom, we want to block the light in the morning. We back to woods and have no houses behind us, but it would bother me to have nothing at the windows at night with the lights on - too much potential visibility.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:03 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Our house only has blinds for shade.
We have a lot of sun on our west side
My bedroom has blackout shades installed so I can sleep better.
The front of the house (east side) has a forest with a very long driveway and a driveway bell to know when someone has entered our property.
We can’t see the neighbors or the street.
If it wasn’t for the need of shade we wouldn’t have any window coverings.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:34 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Another thing I will ad is that the house is deliberately built in shadow, facing N-S with only 3 windows on the E and 1 on the W. The main windows are sun shielded by the porches and over hangs. So there is very little need to shield against the sun.

Now, this did have something of a disadvantage during the blizzard. Without power, in overcast, there really wasn't sufficient light in the day to even read. But other than that.......

Old 08-30-2021, 04:22 AM

539 posts, read 240,876 times
I have both blinds and curtains . I think it looks better when you have blinds and curtains .

Old 08-30-2021, 06:03 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
Yeah, as someone else pointed out, during the early morning hours, I can't see the PC monitors if the screen is not drawn. Too bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living