Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 06:08 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times

Advertisements

There are multiple reasons for window coverings.
They provide privacy,
control light, and
have aesthetic appeal.

No matter how remote the house, uncovered windows can be creepy at night. You're in a lighted fishbowl, and you can't see if someone is looking in from the dark. Sure, there's probably nobody out there, but...

I live in Arizona. The sun can be much too glaring, and fades everything it touches. I also like to sleep past dawn.

To me, windows look naked without drapes, just harsh square holes in the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 08:51 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Curtains. Otherwise, the sun is too bright for much of the day.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:20 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I have blinds & black out curtains in my bedroom as there is a big street light outside my bedroom window that is way too bright. All my windows have something on them. I'm in a suburban neighborhood and I prefer not to have people looking into my house at night. During the day, everything is open to let the light in. I have mostly drapes as I like the way they complete a room depending on the type of house.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There are multiple reasons for window coverings.
They provide privacy,
control light, and
have aesthetic appeal.

No matter how remote the house, uncovered windows can be creepy at night. You're in a lighted fishbowl, and you can't see if someone is looking in from the dark. Sure, there's probably nobody out there, but...

I live in Arizona. The sun can be much too glaring, and fades everything it touches. I also like to sleep past dawn.

To me, windows look naked without drapes, just harsh square holes in the wall.
I am thinking of a specific house in my area that is down one mile of private road off of a dirt road. The house is tall with vaulted ceilings and almost fully glass in the upper front, which faces toward a public road that is at least one mile away. But no doubt that even ordinary binocs would reveal a LOT if one were inclined to snoop. When lit up, far too much would be open to peeking.

Window covers block this kind of viewing.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:01 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,740,106 times
I have curtains but rarely close them.

At night the bedroom curtains are wide open and so is the sliding door to let in the fresh air, the moonlight and the sounds of the night.

I get claustrophobic easy and would hate to live in a closed up home.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
We have two sets of sliding doors onto the balcony over the ocean. Blinds are always closed at 7 pm when the sun is down. Feels much more secure and private.

I have mine in the bedroom wide open all day to see the marvelous view, but DH is very sensitive to light and glare and sits ALL day in the LR with the blinds down so no ocean view for him. Drives me NUTS but that's him. He claims glare on the PC but I don't notice that at all.

Never understood those willing to be in a fishbowl---ugh. I like my privacy.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:32 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am thinking of a specific house in my area that is down one mile of private road off of a dirt road. The house is tall with vaulted ceilings and almost fully glass in the upper front, which faces toward a public road that is at least one mile away. But no doubt that even ordinary binocs would reveal a LOT if one were inclined to snoop. When lit up, far too much would be open to peeking.

Window covers block this kind of viewing.

Nah, most average (consumer) binoculars tend to be in the range of 7, 8, or 10 power, with objective lenses ranging in sizes from 25mm to 50mm. Even with 10x50 binocs, a mile is a long way off and I doubt that you would see much.

A 60x spotting scope would give a better view, and a 600mm telephoto lens even better.

Or if you *really* want an eyeful, go for a 14" Celestron with 840x, it will only set you back $9200.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 910,049 times
I have blinds on some windows and drapes on others. But on two sides of the house there's complete privacy, so I didn't used to have any window covering at all.

Later I put in drapery for two reasons: 1. too much UV exposure can cause damage to your belongings, books get sun faded, furniture, flooring. 2. In the middle of the night if I suddenly switch on the light, it brightens the outside as well and startles the animals (possum, coyotes, etc.) They hate that.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:54 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Roller shutters, sheers and curtains on all my windows.
Except for some custom made, most blinds, especially mini blinds are suitable for cheap apartments.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:53 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
For the last 20 years I've had 2" blinds on all my windows. They usually stay down but are opened during the day to let the light and view (as it is) in then we close them at night. Some just stay open all the time because they are in rooms that aren't often used in the evenings. This works out well for the most part. For the first few years here there were drapes or curtains on all the windows left by the previous owner but they were very dated looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living