Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:50 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times

Advertisements

We have a vacation home rental in a pristine area.

We did put curtains in the bedrooms and the windows at the front door. The remainder of the house is blind and curtain free since there are no neighbors at all close.

We do have outside bamboo blinds on the south facing windows to lower the sun heating up the house in summer. You can see clearly inside the house at night even with the bamboo blinds dropped.

We just had a guest that complained about the lack of blinds!! We have lived in homes without neighbors for the past 40 years and never had curtains on our windows, except for bedrooms and front door area.

Do you have blinds on your windows??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 05:23 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Just a blind on the window in each bedroom. The back of the house is isolated.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:33 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
Yes, we had to add blinds, but for a different reason. Except for the bathrooms, we have at least 2 windows in every room in the house. They are all 72" tall, and let in a LOT of light. But sometimes the moon is so bright we can't sleep; it's like living in a lit parking lot!

Old 08-29-2021, 07:06 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I am a fan of nothing on windows except for privacy, but at night it can feel as if you are in a fishbowl, which bothers some people. My usual solution is white sheers that can be pulled over the windows if needed.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:45 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
We do not have anything on our windows.

Our home has an open floor plan, no internal walls. It is known as a Barndominimum style house. I installed thirteen big picture windows alternating with small 3X3 'single-hung windows. I can stand in the center of our house, and I can look outside with peripheral vision to see the forest and river. Our home is surrounded by dense forest and on one side is a river.

There are no other homes within sight. From our house you can not see off our private property. None of our neighbors, while standing on their property can see our house.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:08 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
We didn't have anything on our windows in the back of the house for 41 years, then the house next door sold and the first thing the new owners did was to install a 6 foot high white plastic fence. The glare of that white fence is so strong that we had to install cellular shades on 3 windows. Fences are rare in our area but we soon found out why they installed it, they don't take care of the lawn or shrubbery at all. Fence and yard looks horrible.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:22 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
There are sheers to allow some privacy while permitting light to enter the house on all of the windows in my house save the two bathroom windows (those have blinds) and the kitchen window which is bare save a pretty valance.

What has long struck me as a regional oddity is that when I lived in the exurbs, pretty much every house was fully kitted out with blinds on each window (and usually kept pulled down, but in my urban inner ring neighborhood, most houses have sheers (or nothing at all) on non-bathroom windows.

Why this strikes me as odd is that houses in the exurban neighborhoods were on large lots and had deep setbacks (with no houses in full view behind them) yet had blinds for maximum privacy, while in the neighborhoods where houses are on far smaller lots and are fairly close to both neighboring houses and the street sheers, which give less privacy, are more common. One would think that it would be the other way around....

It's the same way in the small town in which I grew up, i.e., sheers and/or windows that are non-obscured by window treatments are the norm.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:00 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
I have either blinds or curtains on all my windows but that's mostly to regulate temperature, daylight, and full moon glare. In summer, daylight can last over 19 hours from 3:30 am until almost midnight. When its below zero in the dead of winter covered windows provide more psychological warmth. They have little to do with privacy...no one can see directly into the house without a telescope or a chainsaw. Oh yeah, then there's the newer nutty neighbor who keeps his house and property lit up like a penitentiary every night. Not a view I want. Apparently the guy doesn't like wildlife (so why live in a rural area where wildlife might have the audacity to wander by ). Then there's light pollution from increasing residential sprawl. Some may not care about preserving night skies but I do. Covering windows at night helps.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-29-2021 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-29-2021, 02:06 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I recently installed sheer shades on my windows and the handyman helping me clearly noted that there was maybe an eighth to a quarter of an inch "gap" on either side (unavoidable due to the mechanism and inside mounting). No one could possibly see ANYTHING unless they were outside standing up against the window peering in. Yeah, I live in a subdivision of 10,000 sq.ft. or less lot sizes - and I am not worried in the slightest! Somebody looking in at that distance isn't there to get a glimpse of me but to break in...that's a whole other issue - but the space in the blinds doesn't phase me.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:12 PM

841 posts, read 553,857 times
Pretty rural, but not really anything to see outside. Blinds, curtains, or the windows are frosted.

If I had a nice, new house with big windows that I wanted to keep unobstructed a lot, I would go for some kind of motorized blind or shade that would come down after it got dark.

My genre is horror movies and I've spent a lot of time outside at night. If outside at night I can see in and see everything going on, even get the layout of the house depending on the lighting - you can't see me outside - just keeps me freaked out enough not to want to give anyone that advantage. It's just one other house (my parents) and my house on 100 acres, so if someone made it to my house after dark that I was not expecting, might not be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living