Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 10:07 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,378 times

Advertisements

I've got to do some clearing of overgrown rural lot.
Before I brush hog I'm going to need to remove downed debris ( branches and twigs) below the oaks pines and other hardwoods on my lot.
How do I avoid getting bit when reaching to pickup the fallen tree debris. I've thought of buying one of those extended devices that people use to pick up litter but not sure that it could handle twigs and branches.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 11:26 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
What part of Georgia are you living in? Just asking because, if in North Georgia and can wait until it frosts and cools down problem solved, snakes will find a hole until spring.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:36 AM

61,698 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Wear snake armor protective clothing?
Something like this, but there are other options
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Solid-Pro.../dp/B074H9F3H2

Old 09-22-2021, 04:36 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,341,443 times
When I was staying in South Carolina temporarily for work, I used to drive by signs that advertised snake treatments for your property.

I guess someone will come out and spray snake repellent everywhere.

If that’s too expensive for you, I’m sure you can find some DIY options,

That’s what I would try first. Of course, when it came time to start picking everything up, I’d then wear protective clothing. Thick gloves, protective sleeves and pants, and boots.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Just watch what you pick up. Wear gloves and boots. You can get snake chaps. We use some kind of stick like a 2x4 to flip things like plywood over. We used to find some enormous scorpions under old plywood left laying in wet brush. Never found a snake though.

Down in the Everglades the Rangers wear metal armor up to their thighs for snakes and gators.

I got bit by a cottonmouth in Florida. It was under a stack of pilings we were moving with a crane. I was standing about a foot away and felt something hit my boot, looked down to see it going back under the logs. The foreman was right next to me and said, "You just got bit by a snake!" Yeah no --it sherlock...

We free spooled a piling onto the stack and then very gingerly lifted them. We found a very squished cottonmouth about 5 ft long. I was young then. Now I try to avoid having to kill snakes and prefer to relocate them.

I was wearing heavy leather work boots and it hit me on the instep area. It didn't leave venom, I think it realized I wasn't edible.

You can also get metal snake grabbers. Have fun!

Old 09-22-2021, 07:16 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
I still remember years ago when doing some ROTC training on Ft Bragg NC. We were doing a map reading/orienteering course when someone in the team ahead of us was jumping around and seemed to be kicking and poking something with the butt of his M-14. His team mates were standing around laughing. Turns out a snake had struck out as he passed by and bit his jungle boots. The snake had gotten his fangs stuck in the thick nylon material of the boot and was thrashing around trying to get his fangs out to strike again. He was trying to stomp on it or kill it with his rifle butt. Someone on our team told him to stand still pinned it with a rifle butt grabbed it behind the head jerked the head away from the boot and after holding it up to estimate the length (about 5') whipped around and flung it off into the swamp we were on the edge of.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:44 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Muck boots. All day long. I wear mine for everything. I’d say if you’re doing that much clearing, all the commotion *should* chase things away, but its not 100%.
Easier said than done but, be cautious, alert, and aware.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
You could use a bucket on a tractor and drag the branches together, or rent a bobcat with a grapple. Drive around awhile and stir things up with the tractor and the snakes will exit. You might be able to use a landscape rake on your 3 point and drag the stuff around and then load it by hand. Also, a 3 point field cultivator might work.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:14 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I've got to do some clearing of overgrown rural lot.
Before I brush hog I'm going to need to remove downed debris ( branches and twigs) below the oaks pines and other hardwoods on my lot.
How do I avoid getting bit when reaching to pickup the fallen tree debris. I've thought of buying one of those extended devices that people use to pick up litter but not sure that it could handle twigs and branches.
Any suggestions?
A lot depends on the lot. If the lot is stony and has lots of snake habitat I can understand the concern. If the ecosystem around the area is functional, there are critters that resolve most of the problem for you. I rarely see a snake around here, and usually it is just a big ol' black snake. A roofing crew claimed to have killed a moc', but I suspect that they brought it in dead on a truck as a practical joke. Interest died down when I wasn't particularly concerned.

If you remember the old stories about snakes, over half of them end with it being hit with a hoe. The reason for that is a strong garden hoe is a durned good probe and mover of ground clutter that saves your back. Killing snakes is just a side benefit. A three prong tilling fork is next best as a tool. I usually use both.

If you are doing clearing, work your way into it so that you have just the front to be concerned about. Intersperse some loud chain saw cutting of the debris and most animals of all sorts get the idea of moving away from the activity.

You are much more likely to have problems with chiggers, spiders, ticks and fire ants than snakes. I always wear leggings tucked into socks when doing such work. Before that, my legs often ended up looking like a I had a fresh case of pox, and were itchy for two weeks. (Chigger bite itch lasts at least a week and is miserable.)

If you aren't used to the work, end each day with an aspirin and a couple capsules of magnesium asporotate or other small magnesium source, and a large coke. It'll keep your muscles from getting as inflamed and stiff.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:35 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Wear snake armor protective clothing?
Something like this, but there are other options
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Solid-Pro.../dp/B074H9F3H2
I do have 'snake guards' brand gaiters that are like these but my concern is avoiding hand/arm bites when gathering wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living