Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 01:18 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

Liberal people here put out signs (BLM, rainbow flags, bumper stickers)....although they may talk politics in their own orbits. Conservative people probably also talk in their own orbits, but no signs.

We have a neighbor who used to fly the Gadsden flag, even though they lean liberal AFAIK, and someone had the audacity to stop at the end of their driveway one day and start schooling them about how that flag is racist. Seriously.
I don't put anything up except the American flag. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 01:33 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Liberal people here put out signs (BLM, rainbow flags, bumper stickers)....although they may talk politics in their own orbits. Conservative people probably also talk in their own orbits, but no signs.

We have a neighbor who used to fly the Gadsden flag, even though they lean liberal AFAIK, and someone had the audacity to stop at the end of their driveway one day and start schooling them about how that flag is racist. Seriously.
I don't put anything up except the American flag. Ever.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I live about 10-15 minutes away from a town of 6k.
There is a place there we call “protest corner”.
Normally every weekend it’s just a couple of 75 year olds guys with God signs.
There are groups that use the place also.
The other day 30-40 people were protesting the school board for trying to remove a whistle blower.
A while ago it was anti mandates.
It was something else before that.
These people are so polite when they protest it’s hard not to wave and smile at them whatever their cause may be.
It is somewhat of a conservative area but I’ve never seen anyone rude to opposing views.
It’s just small town America where most people are polite.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:04 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,216,807 times
Two things I avoiding talking about for many years were politics and religion. I still do not discuss religion, but the way politics has gone in the last few years I will discuss it online. I especially do not discuss this with people I do not know in person. I have always lived in rural areas and only go into town to shop. This keeps me away for protests.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:11 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I live on the outskirts of a town, itself about 15 miles from a large city. My street is not paved, we have wells for water, and we mostly own small acreage in my area. It is sort of a mix. We have two sorts of people: native born or transplants. The transplants tend to be a bit more liberal by degrees. The native born are socially conservative but middle of the road on most things. There is a libertarian thread that runs through some of the folks. Gary Johnson (Libertarian) is known here and campaigned locally. I went to hear him but the more he talked it was apparent he was clueless. The fracking issue is a hot one and he blew it. That is a dinner table topic and not many people are supportive. In general, this is a "blue" state but as long as nobody tries to take an extreme position it seems pretty calm. There was a group a while back that organized into a self-defined "Tea Party" squad and tried to take over the town government. It just pissed everyone off. A few tried to gain county commissioner seats but they are known to be supported and in cahoots with oil frackers. The few loudmouth Trumpers are tolerated but ignored. Most of the political signs are for local races.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Well during election time 95% of all the political posters on people lawns or on the front fence for political parties are for leftist parties. Conservatives never win in my town. Not many people that are religious either. Yet most people believe more needs to be done to combat climate change, and are supportive of same sex marriage.

Last edited by herenow1; 11-18-2021 at 12:57 AM..

Old 11-18-2021, 10:35 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well during election time 95% of all the political posters on people lawns or on the front fence for political parties are for leftist parties. Conservatives never win in my town. Not many people that are religious either. Yet most people believe more needs to be done to combat climate change, and are supportive of same sex marriage.
You made me do a coffee spit! You obviously don't live in Alabama.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:01 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You made me do a coffee spit! You obviously don't live in Alabama.
Well I don't live in the states but in Australia. Yet the small town where I live is in a tourist area, and not a mining or a farming area. I would say my area politically would be similar to Vermont. Like Vermont it attracted a hippy population half a century ago and that hippy influence is still evident as ever and most people living here tend to be from the baby boomer generation.

However in mining areas and largely farming areas of Australia people more tend to vote for conservative parties than leftist parties.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:07 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
It's very clear that our little rural community of Wyoming are Pro-Trump. They hung up their Trump flags on our flag poles, their houses, and waving behind their trucks. I try to avoid talking politics to anyone, but people here are quite happy to let you know their current feelings on Biden. There are people here already flying the Trump 2024 flag. On our local buy, sell Facebook site people are pretty vocal about being a conservative and hating on Liz Cheney. I'm really sick of it all. I wish we could just go back to not talking politics and people just voting for whoever they thought was the best candidate quietly, without the need to advertise their political views to everyone they meet.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:09 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Outspoken enough that they routinely try to form "citizen patrols" to look for "antifa" even though that element steers way clear of this small town. The good news is that the wannabe vigilantes can't afford gas money for their imaginary patrols.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-22-2021 at 02:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living