Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 03:49 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

I am talking about communities where 90% of the population knows 90% of the population, so I would say I am talking about communities of about 2,000 people or less at most.

The question in this thread's title was prompted by this current thread about Let's Go Brandon yard signs, https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ard-signs.html
So now I am wondering if it is usual for rural/small town people to keep their political opinions out of their yards and off their car bumpers.

Here in my county there were virtually NO yard signs around election time last year except in the yards of the summer homes of wealthy people (about an even mix of Trump and Biden signs). Many wealthy homes also displayed Black Lives Matters signs (rather remarkable in an area that is over 95% white). However, whenever there is a strictly local issue -- like when Dollar General wanted to put a store in a small quaint tourist-oriented town -- it seems there were "NO DOLLAR GENERAL" signs everywhere you looked, and ditto when a company wanted to develop a planned community for RV owners and those who wanted to build very small camp-type homes.

(Btw, our county voted 48.5% for Trump and 50% for Biden, so maybe that has something to do with the lack of political outspokenness here, meaning no signs out of respect for the political opinions of many of one's neighbors?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Most folks in my county share the same point of view, so no real arguments or problems. There are Trump Country signs and bumper stickers all over the place.

So it's a very civil, welcoming and courtious place to live.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:45 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
It seems the outspoken people are the self-righteous ones who are chronically offended by everything around them. The rest stay quiet because it's not worth the aggravation of arguing. It wasn't like this until the area had an influx of people from sub/urban areas about 15 years ago.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:09 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
My experience in a small town is that those who embrace the prevailing local political persuasion and attitude just assume that everyone in the community conforms to the same attitude and politics. There isn’t much political debate or discussion because it is perceived as preaching to the choir. I encountered it mostly in my church, a conservative Protestant church. They couldn’t fathom that someone would embrace a different view or different politics so never raised the topic.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:54 AM

325 posts, read 207,808 times
I reside in two distinct areas...rural and comfortable suburban. Rural..no one hides their political leanings and Suburban...they overwhelming hide it. Breakdown is easy to assess and evaluate when I look at election results in detail.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:38 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
How politically outspoken are most people in your rural/small town community?
Our little west Texas town has about 1200 people but I've not even driven through there for the past two months so your guess is as good as mine. Posting anything political on my farm property would be useless because there's no one who would see it except the post lady or possibly county workers. I'm not sure either would take note of it.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:10 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
On a local level, I am MUCH more concerned about local issues than national ones. The people around me are salt of the earth folks that I absolutely respect on local matters. I might disagree with them on national politics, but none of us have meaningful impact there, so why debate the number of angels on pins and get upset about it?

Old 10-30-2021, 06:45 AM

12,849 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Most folks in my county share the same point of view, so no real arguments or problems. There are Trump Country signs and bumper stickers all over the place.

So it's a very civil, welcoming and courtious place to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
It seems the outspoken people are the self-righteous ones who are chronically offended by everything around them. The rest stay quiet because it's not worth the aggravation of arguing. It wasn't like this until the area had an influx of people from sub/urban areas about 15 years ago.
These two sum it up. Esp the chronically offended.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 AM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
My very rural northern Midwest state and little town of 1100 people rarely show any political signs. It voted around 90% Trump. So the only political signs I’ve seen are Trump signs, banners or pickups with big Trump flags. It’s a very quiet, friendly, crime free, safe town. Funny how that happens.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
We're not outspoken . We quietly fly our Trump flags with occasional toots of the horn in support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living