Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 02:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
As Parnassia said, trail cams are very easy to disguise when they're attached to trees and branches and in underbrush. Did you research ANY of this stuff before you moved to a your area? Or did you just envision the property as a place to fulfill your fantasy of being a "woodland witch" and a nature goddess without considering any of the actual realities of rural life? Because it sounds like pretty much all of the everyday details of country living in your area are proving to be a big surprise (i.e., challenge) to you now.
Oh, no....I went out during a full moon, made my pentagram, summoned the nymph of Diana for that region, stripped before her, and we joined so we could know all the secrets of the ranch together.

I did visual land surveys, over flights, got enough land to have my well without it being metered (5 acres), enough land to be able to shoot on it (10 acres), got my well drilled, my septic field built, my house built, etc, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 02:40 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Oh, no....I went out during a full moon, made my pentagram, summoned the nymph of Diana for that region, stripped before her, and we joined so we could know all the secrets of the ranch together.

I did visual land surveys, over flights, got enough land to have my well without it being metered (5 acres), enough land to be able to shoot on it (10 acres), got my well drilled, my septic field built, my house built, etc, etc, etc.
Ha ha. Noted. While those are typical processes for buying any piece of land and building a house on it, they don't take into account the details of living with varied flora and fauna in the area; the distance from shopping (although I suspect it's not as far as you make it seem); the necessity for having back-up heat and power if the primary sources are out; etc. Recent posts suggest that you didn't consider a lot of those details before moving. I'm happy to be wrong, but you're the one who's apprehensive about going out onto her own acreage. And 10 acres is not a huge spread by any means.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:45 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Ha ha. Noted. While those are typical processes for buying any piece of land and building a house on it, they don't take into account the details of living with varied flora and fauna in the area; the distance from shopping (although I suspect it's not as far as you make it seem); the necessity for having back-up heat and power if the primary sources are out; etc. Recent posts suggest that you didn't consider a lot of those details before moving. I'm happy to be wrong, but you're the one who's apprehensive about going out onto her own acreage. And 10 acres is not a huge spread by any means.
Developers here call 10 acres "farmettes". Maybe it's a "ranchette" in Texas.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:

Solar powered well, main grid power, outside natural gas tank for the stove and water heater, emergency power circuit for an emergency diesel generator capable of conducting farm irrigation.......

.........suspect away!

Old 01-19-2022, 03:56 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
And 10 acres is not a huge spread by any means.
Only 10? Here I was imagining at least 100! Re-calibrating now...

FWIW 10 acres won't take much time to get familiar with, to post or monitor at all OP even if it is rough. How long have you owned this property? Get some decent resolution aerial photography/topo maps for your parcel and ground truth them. You don't need to set foot on every square inch of it. Start with the line of sight perimeter surrounding your house and work your way out from there. Just go do it! Ten acres also means trespassers can get pretty close to home, so if this will be an issue for you, consider the downsides of doing nothing. If you really had a huge undeveloped buffer around you maybe you could ignore more uninvited activity.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-19-2022 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 04:14 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
My neighbors are pretty nice. One came to my door, saying his son had shot a deer that escaped and asked permission to search my land for him.

All other comments....noted.

Are you serious about "Carry some poisonous snake venom antidote"?

The stuff is not cheap! https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...st-you-143000/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
American campers and fisherman carry thousands of dollars in antivenin along with a cooler (it starts to degrade at 98°F), injectable saline, and syringes?

Seems like the right boots and leggings would weigh less and provide more protection.
It depends on which species of poisonous snake lives in your area, & how serious a bite will be if your by yourself when bite occurs. Or if you get multiple bites, would you be able to get to a hospital before you die.

I read that Copperhead & Cottonmouth antivenom costs under $100 or a little above.

I was raised an Army brat. Growing up we lived in:

Fort Riley, Kansas
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Columbia, S.C.
Fort Jackson, S.C.
ST. Louis, MO
Ben Franklin Village, Mannheim, Germany
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Ord, CA

I was in the Boy Scouts. We went to summer camp in South Carolina. They stocked antivenom at camp. There were many Cottonmouth around. We wore high boots & sometimes leggings.
Be Safe.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:40 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
It depends on which species of poisonous snake lives in your area, & how serious a bite will be if your by yourself when bite occurs. Or if you get multiple bites, would you be able to get to a hospital before you die.

I read that Copperhead & Cottonmouth antivenom costs under $100 or a little above.

I was raised an Army brat. Growing up we lived in:

Fort Riley, Kansas
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Columbia, S.C.
Fort Jackson, S.C.
ST. Louis, MO
Ben Franklin Village, Mannheim, Germany
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Ord, CA

I was in the Boy Scouts. We went to summer camp in South Carolina. They stocked antivenom at camp. There were many Cottonmouth around. We wore high boots & sometimes leggings.
Be Safe.
AKA puttees. There are some interesting stories about puttee use in the tropics and during battle.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:12 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
unexploded ordinance

Old 01-19-2022, 05:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post The least expensive treatment is +$1K per dose (1 vial = 1 dose, one bite might require a dozen doses)

Quote:
There are two brands of antivenom available in the USA which are each effective across the Crotalinae subfamily including rattlesnakes, water moccasins (cottonmouths), and copperheads.
Quote:
They stocked antivenom at camp. There were many Cottonmouth around.
That makes more sense than carrying it in the field, assuming a camp with a refrigerator, saline, and trained medical personnel, considering that a single bite requires anywhere from 4-12 vials, and the vials must be stored refrigerated (never frozen).
Quote:
$100 in Mexico.

Prices start at ten times that in the US.... that's wholesale, not the hospital rate.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:24 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/true...-chaps-for-men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living