Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 12:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Out where I live, there is more land being cleared. SIGH! Homeless animals once again...but such is progress.

I am crossing my fingers that they are putting up houses and not apartment buildings.......and hoping they keep far away from me. But that is one of those things where one has a forest for other cleared out lands, might others see it as a place to trespass, to hunt, smoke their weed, have wild nude orgies around the fire while worshiping the Maidens of the Gates of whatever Valhalla they believe in?

Are there signs to say "No Trespassing. Wild Animal Preserve to include but not limited to feral hogs, skunks, rattle snakes, copper heads, scorpions, black widows, fire ants, and wasps."

Or is that going too far and the No Trespassing is enough......for anything else might be seen as an invitation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 12:41 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
We used to have a beautiful gravel road winding out along the river with turnoffs into deer trails, and little hills and vales. It was a great place to gather wildflowers, pick berries, bird watch, hunt mushrooms. The teens also knew it was a fun place to play at night and caused no end of mayhem for the lucky few who had lived out there for generations.

If MN had an equivalent of hill folk it would have been this well-entrenched group of immigrant descendants, enjoying all the benefits of small city life but residing in their cabins with their wood-burning stoves.

There was little by way of fencing and no way to tell whose land was whose but at times of the year we'd go out to gather pine cones or pick mushrooms, whatever. No one said anything but I never felt especially welcome. It was the way of the small community where I'd grown up and the violation of straying onto someone's wildland did not yet carry the weight that it does today.

One day climbing the hills in search of morels we ran into a crudely hand-painted sign that read, "No Trespassing! Men will be shot. Women and children will be winged."

I guess somebody just about had enough. LOL

Today the poor guy would have probably gotten a fine for illegal posting! Or worse - sent to the county for a mental health evaluation while the SWAT team searched his house for weapons. With luck no one would kill him before they finally figured out he was just an exasperated homeowner.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Out where I live, there is more land being cleared. SIGH! Homeless animals once again...but such is progress.

I am crossing my fingers that they are putting up houses and not apartment buildings.......and hoping they keep far away from me. But that is one of those things where one has a forest for other cleared out lands, might others see it as a place to trespass, to hunt, smoke their weed, have wild nude orgies around the fire while worshiping the Maidens of the Gates of whatever Valhalla they believe in?

Are there signs to say "No Trespassing. Wild Animal Preserve to include but not limited to feral hogs, skunks, rattle snakes, copper heads, scorpions, black widows, fire ants, and wasps."

Or is that going too far and the No Trespassing is enough......for anything else might be seen as an invitation?
You might consider putting up a sign that reads, "No Trespassing! Wild orgy in progress!"

But on second thought, that might have the opposite effect of what you're trying to accomplish.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:57 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
As a goof, I once made up some signs that I could print out on my printer:

"Warning: Lyme disease and tick research farm" along with some legalese and a big picture of a bloated tick.

Frankly, I now think people are too stupid to think much more than "Oooh! Pretty picture!"

Put up no trespassing signs per your state regulations, trail cams. If you do have trespassers, you don't want wardens or cops rolling their eyes at you and doing nothing, because they know it could never be prosecuted. You want to make the job easier, not harder.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:23 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Impersonal, simple NO TRESPASSING or similar signs might be best. Don’t let bums turn trespassing into a farce. Harry’s last paragraph sums up the problem.

Now, if you’re willing and able to patrol, your land, that’s another deterrent. We met someone who does exactly that, competent at shooting and armed to the teeth. She has land next to some public land. I don’t blame her for being, well, kind of a jerk about protecting her place, though.

I’m getting a worse and worse view of people’s reversion to greedy, sneaky, stupid, id-driven behaviors, which unfortunately is eroding any empathy I might’ve had. Trespassers and vandals and thieves deserve whatever hits them.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:41 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I just put up No Trespassing and No Hunting signs and had trail cams. If anyone had trespassed and been recorded on the trail cams (which they didn't) I would have prosecuted them. Done and done.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:39 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I just put up No Trespassing and No Hunting signs and had trail cams. If anyone had trespassed and been recorded on the trail cams (which they didn't) I would have prosecuted them. Done and done.
I'd agree. Having worked for land managers who deal with boundary posting all the time, simple, unambiguous, straightforward messaging works best. Why on earth would you want to encourage people to stand on your boundary speculating about why your signs display excessive verbiage? Don't fuel a potential trespasser's curiosity, don't lure or entice thrillseekers. Less detail, not more. You want them to lose interest and go bother some other unfortunate landowner. Post clearly and often all along your perimeter. Replace any damaged signage promptly, patrol regularly, and prosecute. An absentee neglectful landowner encourages trespassing. It takes a bit of time for newly posted boundaries to penetrate but if you gain a reputation for follow up, even the most stubborn will learn. IMO, if straightforward messaging doesn't satisfy you personally for some reason, you've got bigger issues than a public notice can handle.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-17-2022 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 08:36 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,432 times
I would place No Trespassing signs all over the place. What I would NOT advertise would be the numerous trail cams I had keeping my property under constant surveillance.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:27 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I would place No Trespassing signs all over the place. What I would NOT advertise would be the numerous trail cams I had keeping my property under constant surveillance.
I am a little apprehensive about trail cams because even I don't go down in the preserve acreage. Apprehensive about placing them, apprehensive about replacing them if damages, stolen, or maintenance.

What about using drones?

Old 01-17-2022, 10:01 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Put up the local sanctioned no trespassing type signs per your local county sheriff.

For fun, you could try putting some extra fear by adding signage stating "former military arsenal testing grounds beware un-exploded ordnance". The problem is most of the trespassers wouldn't understand it, and would likely be as stupid as the UK guy who 'apparently' thought the ordnance 'he found' was a suppository.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living