Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:48 AM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Texas No Trespassing Law Requires Purple Markings

You can also mark your lot lines with purple paint in Texas (Maryland is blue paint).

As mentioned, don't get cute. Just do the regular "No Trespassing" signs and paint, if you like.

A .22 really isn't loud enough to alert anyone. If you have hogs a .243 would be the minimum I'd carry and I'd tend to upsize to something .30 caliber.
AR15 in 300 Blackout is a great choice. It will stop people, pigs, and anything else you might run into in the Texas Hill Country.

When I visit a friend's ranch and wander around, I know not to stick my hands or feet in places that might harbor snakes. I am seldom even armed when I wander, unless I am looking for hogs to shoot. Most wildlife will go out if its way to avoid you. Deer does with fawns will try to lead you away from the babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:10 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
AR15 in 300 Blackout is a great choice. It will stop people, pigs, and anything else you might run into in the Texas Hill Country.

When I visit a friend's ranch and wander around, I know not to stick my hands or feet in places that might harbor snakes. I am seldom even armed when I wander, unless I am looking for hogs to shoot. Most wildlife will go out if its way to avoid you. Deer does with fawns will try to lead you away from the babies.

How far does it go? You see, that is the worry I have with my .308 that it's capability far outdistances the dimensions of the ranch.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:25 AM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, passing through and using their snouts to uproot plants......seen evidence of that.

I have seen them, youngins, the "three little piggies", around. Crossing from my ranch to the next at the low water crossing, further up the road running infront of my car before dawn, teasing a dog on the other side of a fence, and then, 2 years or so ago, a dead HUGE one on the side of the road.

I'M AN AGGIE!....................not a razorback!

Well, if they are going to shoot down drones then what possibly makes someone think that they won't take out trail cams? That's a chief concern of mine of putting something down there for someone to vandalize, something that becomes so expensive to maintain that it is useless. It's like the access gate my apartment complex had once. They couldn't keep it operational because people were constantly taking a flame thrower to it so they eventually just removed the gate.

We talk about signs with too much information attracting people and I am afraid trail cams are like that. If they people know they are out there, they will take great joy in "BUZZ OFF, TAMARA! YOU CAN'T STOP US!".

At least the drone is a moving target and like an SR-71 vs a spy satellite, one doesn't know when it will overfly........just not as fast.
Trail cams can be camouflaged and hidden quite well. Drones cannot. They attract attention to themselves with noise and movement.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:27 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Post Gun safety rule #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Trail cams can be camouflaged and hidden quite well. Drones cannot. They attract attention to themselves with noise and movement.
Their issue seemed to be mostly about the need to go out and physically place the cameras, then return several times a year to service them (swap cards, batteries, etc).

Radio connected trail cameras with solar panels aren't as stealthy as smaller battery models, but can automatically check in (I set mine to take and send a photo at the same time every single day) and could go a year or more without needing to physically access the camera (when the card is full, the oldest images are automatically overwritten).

Quote:
Quote:
AR15 in 300 Blackout is a great choice.
How far does it go? You see, that is the worry I have with my .308 that it's capability far outdistances the dimensions of the ranch.
That's true of nearly any caliber and nearly any ranch. Depending on the loading 7.62×35mm might be slightly less rangy than your 7.62×51

Old 01-19-2022, 12:04 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Out where I live, there is more land being cleared. SIGH! Homeless animals once again...but such is progress.

I am crossing my fingers that they are putting up houses and not apartment buildings.......and hoping they keep far away from me. But that is one of those things where one has a forest for other cleared out lands, might others see it as a place to trespass, to hunt, smoke their weed, have wild nude orgies around the fire while worshiping the Maidens of the Gates of whatever Valhalla they believe in?

Are there signs to say "No Trespassing. Wild Animal Preserve to include but not limited to feral hogs, skunks, rattle snakes, copper heads, scorpions, black widows, fire ants, and wasps."

Or is that going too far and the No Trespassing is enough......for anything else might be seen as an invitation?
Not to interrupt, but can we get more info on the wild, nude orgies?

Old 01-19-2022, 12:29 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Well, passing through and using their snouts to uproot plants......seen evidence of that.

I have seen them, youngins, the "three little piggies", around. Crossing from my ranch to the next at the low water crossing, further up the road running infront of my car before dawn, teasing a dog on the other side of a fence, and then, 2 years or so ago, a dead HUGE one on the side of the road.

Well, if they are going to shoot down drones then what possibly makes someone think that they won't take out trail cams? That's a chief concern of mine of putting something down there for someone to vandalize, something that becomes so expensive to maintain that it is useless. It's like the access gate my apartment complex had once. They couldn't keep it operational because people were constantly taking a flame thrower to it so they eventually just removed the gate.

We talk about signs with too much information attracting people and I am afraid trail cams are like that. If they people know they are out there, they will take great joy in "BUZZ OFF, TAMARA! YOU CAN'T STOP US!".

At least the drone is a moving target and like an SR-71 vs a spy satellite, one doesn't know when it will overfly........just not as fast.
Quote:
It's designed to offer subsonic ammunition in an AR platform that can utilize standard m4 magazines. Obviously, ballistics depend on loads, but looking at one factory load there's 41 inches of drop at 200 yards. And that assumes that you aren't aiming down, which you invariably will be given that you're taller than a pig.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's designed to offer subsonic ammunition in an AR platform that can utilize standard m4 magazines. Obviously, ballistics depend on loads, but looking at one factory load there's 41 inches of drop at 200 yards. And that assumes that you aren't aiming down, which you invariably will be given that you're taller than a pig.
Ohhhhhh, that kind of talk!

Not being a hunter, I only know FMJ and practicing for putting rounds through people, something I hope never have to do.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:58 PM

45,343 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
I don't think so but if I did say that, can you refer me to that to jog my memory?
With all your posts I will age more than I want if I look. Maybe you said that you wouldn't mind if someone would ask to hunt hogs but nothing else.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With all your posts I will age more than I want if I look. Maybe you said that you wouldn't mind if someone would ask to hunt hogs but nothing else.
My next door neighbor asked to look through my land for a deer his son shot and I said he could.

When I first realized that there were hogs on my land, probably, I put out the word to my hunting renfest friends who answered sure.....but it never went beyond that.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:50 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:

As Parnassia said, trail cams are very easy to disguise when they're attached to trees and branches and in underbrush. Did you research ANY of this stuff before you moved to a your area? Or did you just envision the property as a place to fulfill your fantasy of being a "woodland witch" and a nature goddess without considering any of the actual realities of rural life? Because it sounds like pretty much all of the everyday details of country living in your area are proving to be a big surprise (i.e., challenge) to you now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living