Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times

Advertisements

OP
When you drive around you'll notice that homes in TN have more brick and wood than in FL, that will impact your business opportunity in some areas. Newer developments will have siding that needs power washing but they may not need it as often as FL people.

I lived in FL for last 20 years and many powerwash every year because of mildew from humidity, we did. TN and other southern states don't have the same tradition of doing it every year. Just something to think about. What Florida has that many other southern states don't have is a very strong base of 2nd home northerners with money. We've owned our home in NC, moved from FL 2 years ago and only this year need to do powerwash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 01:00 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Hello. I will try to be to the point and as descriptive as possible.[mod cut - remove personal info] My plan is to move to Tennessee. To be to the point/forward... I am used to making $500 to $1,000 a day regularly. I would like to make $300-500 a day in Tennessee (I believe the dollar will go further in TN depending on where I choose to go). Affordability, change of seasons (not too too cold), and wanting to start a homestead are my reasons for wanting to move to TN. Simply put, I've had enough of Florida and want to give another place a good old college try. Only life once, right? I've been to TN before but never in the winter. I really liked the scenery, the very friendly people, and it reminded me kind of like upstate NY (which I miss but will never move back because of personal belief reasons and the brutal 5-6 month long winters)

Where can I go to that still has affordable houses (small 800-1,200 sq ft house or mobile home) with 2-5 acres (to me affordable is 75-125k) but still be not completely out in the boonies and still a somewhat short commute to Walmart (Walmart being no more than like 20-30 minutes away) and be a short commute (30-50 minutes) to neighborhoods/suburbs that are solid middle class where my services are needed/used by the residents.

Wants: affordable housing with 2-5 acres (mobile home or "regular" home, 800 - 1,000 sq ft) for 75-125k. Rural but not totally out in the boonies/sticks. Good outdoor activities. Small town feel but AGAIN not out in the woods/boonies. 30 minute or less commute to Walmart. 30-50 minute commute to middle/upper middle class suburbs.

Some counties I've done a little bit of research on that sound OK are: Loudon County, Morgan County, Rhea County, Putnam County.
I see you ruled out Missouri and Alabama. As a suggestion, you might attack this a little differently with more chance of success. Find a general area you like, hire out to Serv-Pro or one of the other national companies to see what the market is, what the legal issues are, and rent until you find the area and place you like. You'll have a guaranteed income, flexibility to move if things don't look promising, and gain some experience and training in other areas.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 01-22-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-18-2022, 08:39 PM

89 posts, read 153,404 times
Hey there. Kind of ruled out Missouri. Weird taxes there. Alabama is alright, I live north Alabama. The other parts reminded me like Florida pretty much... North alabama near Huntsville was okay though. But I like the scenery move in TN and it has more of a change of seasons.

And ty all for the advice. I do window cleaning as well. So maybe I'll be more window cleaning heavy in TN. Right now in FL I'm about 65/35 power washing/window cleaning

Old 01-20-2022, 05:05 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Have you checked out western Tennessee? You could get you a nice place around Lake Barkley/Cumberland River area and be a short drive to Clarksville and about an hour's drive to Nashville. Being around that area, you could also check out window cleaning in Paducah, Ky. According to Google Maps, from Clarksville, Nashville is about an hour's drive and Paducah is another 30 minutes, both by traveling I-24.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Maynardville is a small town in a low population county just north of Knoxville. Scenic area with hills and mountains next to a large lake. Lots of amenities in the part of Kville you first come into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living