Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 12:26 PM

89 posts, read 153,404 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will try to be to the point and as descriptive as possible. My plan is to move to Tennessee. To be to the point/forward... I am used to making $500 to $1,000 a day regularly. I would like to make $300-500 a day in Tennessee (I believe the dollar will go further in TN depending on where I choose to go). Affordability, change of seasons (not too too cold), and wanting to start a homestead are my reasons for wanting to move to TN. Simply put, I've had enough of Florida and want to give another place a good old college try. Only life once, right? I've been to TN before but never in the winter. I really liked the scenery, the very friendly people, and it reminded me kind of like upstate NY (which I miss but will never move back because of personal belief reasons and the brutal 5-6 month long winters)

Where can I go to that still has affordable houses (small 800-1,200 sq ft house or mobile home) with 2-5 acres (to me affordable is 75-125k) but still be not completely out in the boonies and still a somewhat short commute to Walmart (Walmart being no more than like 20-30 minutes away) and be a short commute (30-50 minutes) to neighborhoods/suburbs that are solid middle class where my services are needed/used by the residents.

Wants: affordable housing with 2-5 acres (mobile home or "regular" home, 800 - 1,000 sq ft) for 75-125k. Rural but not totally out in the boonies/sticks. Good outdoor activities. Small town feel but AGAIN not out in the woods/boonies. 30 minute or less commute to Walmart. 30-50 minute commute to middle/upper middle class suburbs.

Some counties I've done a little bit of research on that sound OK are: Loudon County, Morgan County, Rhea County, Putnam County.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 01-22-2022 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: remove personal info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
[mod cut - remove personal info]
Morgan and Rhea Counties you might find your property needs, but jobs would be pretty tough. Those are both counties that are economically on the lower end, and possibly a bit more crime.
Your budget of $75-125K would be a bit harder in Loudon County. That said, there are some really low priced properties out there, but usually for a reason.
I suggest you come for a visit and spend some time driving around the area, and get a feel for what its really like. What may look great on the internet, may not look so great in person.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 01-22-2022 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 01:03 PM

I will edit that. I was trying to stay anonymous but screw it. Thanks. I plan on visiting in the upcoming week or so.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:10 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Hello. I will try to be to the point and as descriptive as possible. My plan is to move to Tennessee. To be to the point/forward... I am used to making $500 to $1,000 a day regularly. I would like to make $300-500 a day in Tennessee (I believe the dollar will go further in TN depending on where I choose to go). Affordability, change of seasons (not too too cold), and wanting to start a homestead are my reasons for wanting to move to TN. Simply put, I've had enough of Florida and want to give another place a good old college try. Only life once, right? I've been to TN before but never in the winter. I really liked the scenery, the very friendly people, and it reminded me kind of like upstate NY (which I miss but will never move back because of personal belief reasons and the brutal 5-6 month long winters)

Where can I go to that still has affordable houses (small 800-1,200 sq ft house or mobile home) with 2-5 acres (to me affordable is 75-125k) but still be not completely out in the boonies and still a somewhat short commute to Walmart (Walmart being no more than like 20-30 minutes away) and be a short commute (30-50 minutes) to neighborhoods/suburbs that are solid middle class where my services are needed/used by the residents.

Wants: affordable housing with 2-5 acres (mobile home or "regular" home, 800 - 1,000 sq ft) for 75-125k. Rural but not totally out in the boonies/sticks. Good outdoor activities. Small town feel but AGAIN not out in the woods/boonies. 30 minute or less commute to Walmart. 30-50 minute commute to middle/upper middle class suburbs.

Some counties I've done a little bit of research on that sound OK are: Loudon County, Morgan County, Rhea County, Putnam County.
Here's the problem with your plan (as I see it). If you're close enough to a sizeable population of solid middle class homes to give you adequate business, you'll be too close in to buy the kind of property you're looking for at the price you can afford to pay.

If you're far enough out to find 2-5 acres and a house or decent mobile home for $75K to $125K, then you're going to be too far out for the customers that you need.

My guess is that if you do carry out your plan in some form, you'll have to settle for a smaller, older house or mobile home on a 1/4 acre lot in order to be close enough to the customers you want... and even that is going to be a tall order in my opinion.

Go to Realtor.com and locate TN and select a city or two and start looking at prices of property that you might be able to afford. I think that you're going to have to compromise quite a bit on what you want in order to find something in your price range. Even in TN, a price of $125K is not going to get you a whole lot of house/property unless you're out in the boonies somewhere. Good luck. I hope you can prove me wrong.

You can start at this link and then select a city/town to start looking.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...arch/Tennessee

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 01-22-2022 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: remove personal info

Old 01-17-2022, 01:38 PM

thank you for your straight-forwardness and sincerity.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Here's the problem with your plan (as I see it). If you're close enough to a sizeable population of solid middle class homes to give you adequate business, you'll be too close in to buy the kind of property you're looking for at the price you can afford to pay.

If you're far enough out to find 2-5 acres and a house or decent mobile home for $75K to $125K, then you're going to be too far out for the customers that you need.

My guess is that if you do carry out your plan in some form, you'll have to settle for a smaller, older house or mobile home on a 1/4 acre lot in order to be close enough to the customers you want... and even that is going to be a tall order in my opinion.

Go to Realtor.com and locate TN and select a city or two and start looking at prices of property that you might be able to afford. I think that you're going to have to compromise quite a bit on what you want in order to find something in your price range. Even in TN, a price of $125K is not going to get you a whole lot of house/property unless you're out in the boonies somewhere. Good luck. I hope you can prove me wrong.

You can start at this link and then select a city/town to start looking.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...arch/Tennessee
Just found a place called Harriman. Seems like it has wealthier communities with 30-60 minute drive.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:58 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Just found a place called Harriman. Seems like it has wealthier communities with 30-60 minute drive.
Yes, Harriman or Kingston might work for you. You'll be within about 30 minutes of the Lenoir City, Loudon, and Farragut area which are pretty nice areas. They're kind of suburbs of the Greater Knoxville area.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:50 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I think the biggest problem you might have is finding a place that has the customer base you need that still has land and homes in the range you're talking about. Tennessee has been discovered and home prices are exploding. I live in a semi-rural area like you're talking about, and home prices have gone through the roof. Places you can find in the $75K ranges are places you might not want to live.

For example, Murfreesboro or Franklin are big enough to have the kind of customer base you need, but it will be hard to find low cost even in the rural areas around there.

If you add lawn mowing to the list, it will add a lot more towns for you.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:19 PM

I see... well I'm going to be heading that way come next week after my van is out of the mechanic. Drive around for a couple weeks or so. I'm all ready to go, got my supplies, etc. Nervous as hell but I need to do this. I'll rent for 6-12 months in an area I find I like and see what happens. See what happens... I'm kind of scared ****less the closer this gets to becoming a reality but lease is up at the end of this month. I told myself I'm not going to renew it, already got rid of a bunch of ****, gave away a bunch of ****... no turning back now.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
As a native of east TN, you're going to have to make a lot of compromises. I'm in the Tri-Cities area.

2-5 acres with a house, even at $125k, is hard to come by here. I bought in late 2019, and my house has run-up about 40% since then.

If you can find anything at all, you'll be way out in the sticks in a location not really conducive to this type of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living