Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 01:38 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

I'm not clear on what you guys are saying. Perhaps I should clarify. In the 50s and 60s California was a screaming locomotive train of people pouring in to the cheap housing that was being thrown up after WWII. I remember my parents watching the news, 1K families moving in to Southern California each week.

They were lamenting that this was being called "progress." At that time, California lacked the infrastructure to handled all the influx.

Of course, if you're greedy, you love this kind of "progress." My parents did not. They were just one of the thousands upon thousands of "peasants" who bought into southern California in the 1950's.

I suppose there will be some pushback on this view. Don't care. You do you. People then, did them. It is what it is. If you disagree with it being called "progress" (which is actually wasn't), that's your prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 02:17 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
They thought it was bad back then but now it is much much worse now.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:54 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Today, you can live in a rural area/small town and be disconnected with the neighbors 2022 is a different time and people keep to themselves
This is true. You can be insular in a small town, or you can be involved in the goings on.

I have to live in a small town for survival reasons.

I cannot tolerate crowds, traffic, urban sprawl, people in general.

It can get pretty boring though, and finding like-minded people if you were not raised in a small town, is nearly impossible. Jobs are very limited.

It's definitely a trade-off.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:42 PM

Seems to be more widespread now that people are keeping to themselves city, suburb and rural.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:13 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Agree with all the above posts on this page.

When we moved here in July 2020, COVID had not really hit here -- there had been a total of only about 20 cases in our entire county during the previous four months and no deaths. People were still extremely friendly and you would never know there was a pandemic. That changed starting about September 2020, and people here have still not gone back to being "free and easy" with just casual socializing even though the cases here are WAY down -- less than a dozen new cases total in the past seven days

I wonder if we will ever go back to the way it was. I can only hope that it will.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-03-2022 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 11:32 AM

1,372 posts, read 615,857 times
Small town living is a bit addicting to me cause everything runs slow, most people are polite even if they know everything about you. And when you are in need for whatever most step up to the plate.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:43 PM

As one ages we can all appreciate the slower pace of life a small town has to offer.

Old 03-05-2022, 04:20 AM
chs

31 posts, read 122,794 times
As others have said, different places fir different times in your life.
It has never been easier to be mobile and live wherever you want.
Paradoxically, with all the far flung connections we can make electronically, it has never been harder for people to feel true connection.
I loved living in SF, NYC, Philadelphia, Houston, Long Beach when younger.
I live in a small town in upstate NY now and love it.
But I’m older, married, like gardening, have acreage and animals, do home improvement and have rental properties for fun.
It is much more fun to be single in the Bay Area or NYC. I was glad to spend my 20s-30s there
Winter is a funny thing. I hate the cold, but moved from Hawaii to upstate NY 10 years ago and it’s just fine.
You need wood heat and the ability to go on a few winter vacations. Liking to ski and not having an outdoor job (construction etc) will help. It’s kind of fun to xc ski in the backyard on a bluebird day. I actually sometimes enjoy shoveling snow (the path, not the driveway)
Don’t get me wrong, it was fun to hike on the beach or mountains in Kauai 5 minutes from my house and eat guava picked on the trail - there’s fun everywhere. You find yourself and then you’ll find your place.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:09 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Personally, I NEED seasons. Distinct seasons. It’s part of my DNA.
I know for a fact I would absolutely lose my mind living anywhere the weather is the same all year long.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
As others have said, different places fir different times in your life.
It has never been easier to be mobile and live wherever you want.
Paradoxically, with all the far flung connections we can make electronically, it has never been harder for people to feel true connection.
I loved living in SF, NYC, Philadelphia, Houston, Long Beach when younger.
I live in a small town in upstate NY now and love it.
But I’m older, married, like gardening, have acreage and animals, do home improvement and have rental properties for fun.
It is much more fun to be single in the Bay Area or NYC. I was glad to spend my 20s-30s there
Winter is a funny thing. I hate the cold, but moved from Hawaii to upstate NY 10 years ago and it’s just fine.
You need wood heat and the ability to go on a few winter vacations. Liking to ski and not having an outdoor job (construction etc) will help. It’s kind of fun to xc ski in the backyard on a bluebird day. I actually sometimes enjoy shoveling snow (the path, not the driveway)
Don’t get me wrong, it was fun to hike on the beach or mountains in Kauai 5 minutes from my house and eat guava picked on the trail - there’s fun everywhere. You find yourself and then you’ll find your place.
You were fortunate to spend your 20's-30's to be single in the Bay Area as those were much better times and that area was good at the time unlike now. It's a definite memory of the way things were but cherish that time of life when it was great time in that stage of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living