Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 12:09 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is me too, except for the married part. I always lived in big cities (L.A., San Francisco, Portland, San Diego, Phoenix). NEVER thought I'd love living in a small town. It has to be near a big metro though. Where I am pretty much fits that bill, especially since Trader Joe's finally opened "here" last fall! (45 miles from my house)
Trader Joe's! I just looked it up---I'm 3,500 miles from the nearest one (or from my sister, lol).

I've lived in both, and enjoyed both. Right now, we're rural, between 2 small towns and 8 miles from the supermarket/mall. It's "close enough" without the congestion, noise, too many people. I love the deserted beach that comes alive only on certain weekends and holidays.

I do wish we could walk to things, but that's never been the case (except on vacation) in my life, so I don't miss it much. I'm sure it saves LOTS of money, NOT being able to walk to stuff, lol. I know this from our vacation receipts.

I'm nostalgic for a lot, but realize at this point in my life, we are in the best place. I miss the CO River kayaking, horses, hiking....but all that is out of the question now. So we've made other choices that we like too.

Even with "perfect" weather all year around, that sameness can get boring. It doesn't even RAIN. Just sprinkles at night to keep everything green. I never even SEE the rain, lol. Oh well, small price to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 12:32 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Trader Joe's! I just looked it up---I'm 3,500 miles from the nearest one (or from my sister, lol).

I've lived in both, and enjoyed both. Right now, we're rural, between 2 small towns and 8 miles from the supermarket/mall. It's "close enough" without the congestion, noise, too many people. I love the deserted beach that comes alive only on certain weekends and holidays.

I do wish we could walk to things, but that's never been the case (except on vacation) in my life, so I don't miss it much. I'm sure it saves LOTS of money, NOT being able to walk to stuff, lol. I know this from our vacation receipts.

I'm nostalgic for a lot, but realize at this point in my life, we are in the best place. I miss the CO River kayaking, horses, hiking....but all that is out of the question now. So we've made other choices that we like too.

Even with "perfect" weather all year around, that sameness can get boring. It doesn't even RAIN. Just sprinkles at night to keep everything green. I never even SEE the rain, lol. Oh well, small price to pay.
Wherever there is a Trader Joe's here there is congestion. Parking lot always full. Lots of traffic as the store attracts alot of people.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:58 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
There are days when I feel like living in a city is just testing my nerves. Heavy traffic, rising housing prices, etc. I've considered buying a few acres of land.

However, I also think about this. For me, this isn't about nostalgia. I don't have very good memories when it comes to living in a small town (or rather, the exurbs of a metro area). My memories involve struggling to fit in, dealing with alot of racism (not to mention that Confederate nonsense), being far away from amenities that I like.

One thing I did have in a small town was space. I like getting out in nature, I'm an outdoorsy kind of person. Being near a rural area would be good, in that aspect. And one thing I do like is being around alot of land, and how refreshing it would be to have plenty of space. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are days when I feel like living in a city is just testing my nerves. Heavy traffic, rising housing prices, etc. I've considered buying a few acres of land.

However, I also think about this. For me, this isn't about nostalgia. I don't have very good memories when it comes to living in a small town (or rather, the exurbs of a metro area). My memories involve struggling to fit in, dealing with alot of racism (not to mention that Confederate nonsense), being far away from amenities that I like.

One thing I did have in a small town was space. I like getting out in nature, I'm an outdoorsy kind of person. Being near a rural area would be good, in that aspect. And one thing I do like is being around alot of land, and how refreshing it would be to have plenty of space. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.
Enjoy the space with peace n quiet where you have lots of space to yourself. The quality of time is not so hurried.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:09 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Enjoy the space with peace n quiet where you have lots of space to yourself. The quality of time is not so hurried.
Currently I live in the city. I'm there because of my job. I've been out in the countryside where I could see the stars, and fields around me. It has that kind of improbable quality. On the other hand, many of the drawbacks are also things I've dealt with, or have to consider I could deal with.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Currently I live in the city. I'm there because of my job. I've been out in the countryside where I could see the stars, and fields around me. It has that kind of improbable quality. On the other hand, many of the drawbacks are also things I've dealt with, or have to consider I could deal with.
You will know for yourself once you are there to compare and experience the different drawbacks firsthand.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:03 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I would shrivel up and die if I had to live in a small town.
Me, too, that is if my small town was decaying, losing population, rather that growing in population. New businesses opening up, like Dutch Bros. Coffee, help make things less boring. People from California who had moved to my small town loved it when that happened. They miss a lot of what they were used to while living in California. They moved here for a lower cost of living and from it being conservative. However, many of them didn't like it when the town voted YES by 70% to up the town sales tax from .5% to 1% to better improve the streets. Maybe Stillwater isn't as conservative as they think. But too many town streets are in terrible condition.

From simply being a devoted homebody who hasn't known better and doesn't have an adventurous soul or spirit, I'd say, yes, that I am definitely addicted to small town living.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-14-2022 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-14-2022, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Progress is more development, traffic and people?
Yeah, that and construction from shutting down a four lane street to two lanes just to make it 5 lanes. That is madness in the name of progress.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
As one ages we can all appreciate the slower pace of life a small town has to offer.
Yeah, but as I age, I don't hope to become as slow as the old people who slow me down. I can still have a lot of spring in my step.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:14 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,154,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Me, too, that is if my small town was decaying, losing population, rather that growing in population. New businesses opening up, like Dutch Bros. Coffee, help make things less boring. People from California who had moved to my small town loved it when that happened. They miss a lot of what they were used to while living in California. They moved here for a lower cost of living and from it being conservative. However, many of them didn't like it when the town voted YES by 70% to up the town sales tax from .5% to 1% to better improve the streets. Maybe Stillwater isn't as conservative as they think. But too many town streets are in terrible condition.

From simply being a devoted homebody who hasn't known better and doesn't have an adventurous soul or spirit, I'd say, yes, that I am definitely addicted to small town living.
I don't care about coffee shops. I need people, places to go, things to do at any hour, parks, a nice body of water, access to specialty goods, etc. NYC has it, my heart is there. Va beach has a much smaller scale of the same but I'm happy here. I tried a smaller town. It tried to suck the life out of me. I jumped at the chance to leave as soon as I could. Visiting is fun, living there was not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living