Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:31 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You will know for yourself once you are there to compare and experience the different drawbacks firsthand.
I used to live in a small town. I also lived in a suburb that was basically a small town. I had a hard time fitting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 10:41 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, but as I age, I don't hope to become as slow as the old people who slow me down. I can still have a lot of spring in my step.
That's why you must take care of yourself with less chaos in life and enjoy the long peaceful times that are coming. Life will just pass you by in fast city life with tons of people in the rat race always in a hurry. I would prefer to avoid that and not get dragged into the rush hour of others always in a hurry.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:42 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
I miss it too, but.....

"You can't go home again"
-------Thomas Wolfe

Old 04-03-2022, 09:43 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
That's why you must take care of yourself with less chaos in life and enjoy the long peaceful times that are coming. Life will just pass you by in fast city life with tons of people in the rat race always in a hurry. I would prefer to avoid that and not get dragged into the rush hour of others always in a hurry.
Agreed. Currently visiting Southern California specifically LA County, where I am from. So many people rushing around like crazy (like I used to do). They don't look at each other, they don't say hello all that often, they are pushy in store aisles, etc. I now live in a small town. Everything moves slower. People are more polite, friendly, take the time to talk with one another, neighbors actually know each other, drivers are more courteous.... it's just an easier simpler life, but I didn't want that when I was younger. I do now.

Old 04-03-2022, 03:27 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Wherever there is a Trader Joe's here there is congestion. Parking lot always full. Lots of traffic as the store attracts alot of people.
Not always as it's more about income demographics and other factors beyond sheer number of residents. TJ's locations in college towns (Charlottesville VA, Athens GA, Gainesville FL, Newark DE, Burlington VT, Columbia SC, Little Rock AR) while busy aren't the mob scenes depicted elsewhere. I'm sure there's more I missed as well.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
I grew up in a small town. I live in a suburb of a large metro at the moment. I still miss many things about the small town life. As an adult, one of my favorite past times is taking a long weekend in a getaway small town. I collect top 10 lists of different permutations of "small town" this and that. I found a list just last week of top 10 small towns in Canada. Yes I am addicted to that. I know some places are insular to outsiders, but many are not. Many are friendly and welcoming. That is what I will seek when I am more able to break away from the rat race.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:29 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Smaller towns that have capital infusions from wealthier places are generally nicer, but they are often unaffordable at the same time for locals. They generally don't have Walmart. A good example would be Wolfeboro or Meredith, NH.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Agreed. Currently visiting Southern California specifically LA County, where I am from. So many people rushing around like crazy (like I used to do). They don't look at each other, they don't say hello all that often, they are pushy in store aisles, etc. I now live in a small town. Everything moves slower. People are more polite, friendly, take the time to talk with one another, neighbors actually know each other, drivers are more courteous.... it's just an easier simpler life, but I didn't want that when I was younger. I do now.
You are currently visiting So. CA?
Good luck and be careful driving down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living