Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 10:58 AM

20 posts, read 25,764 times

Advertisements

Where the land is divided into giant squares and you're on a tiny piece of land where the circle doesn't reach the corner.

For instance, wife and I are thinking about something along the lines of:

https://ibb.co/5X0Vd1t

I imagine there's going to be noise and dust from time to time but how often? Was it a problem for you?

If that corner slot is divided into two pieces of real estate, does your neighbor play a bigger role in your life...or something?

What were your experiences living on a corner piece like that?

This'll be a huge jump for us, and I know I'll be the main one advocating for something outside the town, so want to thoroughly consider every angle! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 01:25 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I would imagine these properties are the old farm houses that used to go with family farms that have now sold out to big ag. They have no use for the buildings so they sell off these corners. The type of noise and the type of dust, chemicals and smells you may have to contend with depends on the crops they're planting there.

You need details... It would help to know where and what kinds of crops they're planting and what kind of schedule that means for your area.

Could be hay, which they will mow probably 2-4 times a year, and spread some kind of liquid poop on in between each time to fertilize.
Could be corn which will have one harvest per year, with maybe some other kind of cover crop planted for winter.

Could be anything in between. Might have crop dusters spraying a few times a year in the area that are probably fun to watch if you're not worried about being downwind of what they're spraying. Ask some questions of the locals. If there's someone living on the other corner, get to know them, yes, they're probably someone you'll want to have an amicable relationship with.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:00 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Pivot irrigation. Bluntly, I would avoid such a property if possible. Large fields are commonly subject to crop dusting, usually in early morning hours when winds are minimal. There is simply no way to avoid the overspray of whatever chemical is being used. Most are relatively harmless, but relative is a squishy word.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:32 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
No thanks! The pesticides, frequent use of machinery, and dust alone make such a piece unappealing. Then factor in the lack of visual privacy on such a parcel.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
No way I would touch it for any purpose. You have no control over what over sprays may land on your homestead. I wouldn't want to eat from a garden that had any over spray on it from a commercial field or live with not being able to open windows because of those sprays and dust from the fields.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I wouldn't want to eat from a garden that had any over spray on it from a commercial field
Where do you get the food you do eat? Just curious.

Quote:
or live with not being able to open windows because of those sprays and dust from the fields.
OK I brought up spraying, and it's a real thing and an issue to investigate. But they're not out there spraying every day, or wildly spraying everything. It's occasional, not daily, and fairly targeted.

From a healthy living and clean air standpoint, I think I'd take the country with an open window looking out at a cultivated field over an open window in the city, with the exhaust of a million cars and industry wafting in. Every place has it's risks and nuisances, unless you have a LOT of acreage of your own around you. Close the windows on those days when they're spraying... And on the days when they spread the poop. The rest of the time, It's not bad living probably. It has it's charm. The noises are people performing a function, not just making noise. Farmers do live and work out there, and they do open their windows.

One thing I was surprised to learn when looking for places for a friend in Wisconsin.... There was all this ag land for miles and miles, and more places than I expected where zoning did not allow farm animals. Still surprised by that.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-28-2022 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 07:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Where do you get the food you do eat? Just curious.
Normally we grow most of what we eat. Last season it came early from farmers market where we sold also at. Now until we get the new property up and running we are dependent on local farmers markets staring in a month or so and Publix Super Market. By 2023 90% non meat items will be produced on site. Eggs and chicken will be home raised also. Possible one day even pork. 2 seniors don't eat enough beef to even consider it. We might can do some bartering though. We also are living close enough to the Gulf to make a weekend run and take up fishing once again... We don't bother with freshwater species of fish. We normally raise everything possible from asparagus to zucchini. We even have citrus trees waiting to plant along with several other fruit species. It will be our first time with figs. We are just now finishing up items we canned and froze in 2019.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:21 PM

Right. Good for you. I support the dream. Most of the rest of the world gets most of theirs from commercial growers.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:34 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
For a few months, we lived across the road from a farm. It was noisy! They'd be out at dawn, sowing, weeding, harvesting, applying pesticides, whateverall they were doing with that big machinery. If you normally get up at daylight, the noise might not bother you so much.
Their irrigation went haywire one day, and made a huge pond in the road. Glad I wasn't affected by that.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:08 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Looks awful to me. Nope. I'd look elsewhere for land for all the reasons listed in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living