Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 03:51 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies!!

Such a wide assortment of answers, all of them very interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 04:45 PM

7,089 posts, read 4,521,984 times
I love northern Wisconsin in the summer).

Old 03-04-2022, 04:48 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
I'm one of those who did move upon retirement. Born, raised, and lived my whole live in SoCal, pre-retirement. Upon retirement, I moved to North Idaho. It gets cold here in the winter, but nothing like the mid-west. Cold by California standards, pretty mild by Wisconsin standards.

I keep pretty busy in the winter, both outdoor activities and indoor. Tennis switches to the indoor courts, but the bicycles are put away for the winter because I don't want to take the time and effort to "bundle up". I love being outdoors this time of year because there are no tourists out and about. More times than not, I have the "place" to myself and the pups. I can let them off leash without worries because nobody is around.

Sleep patterns are changing. This winter, I've been staying up until midnight or maybe even later. Sleep in until the dogs get me up around 8:30 or so.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-04-2022, 04:54 PM

14,474 posts, read 12,095,136 times
We sortof hibernate.

We have animals who have to be put in and fed dinner at dark. That's their routine. Our routine after that is to watch about an hour of TV and fall asleep.

In summer, that's about 10:00, sometimes later to wait until it cools down a bit.

In winter, especially when the weather is nasty, it is getting dark and cold around 4:30.

That means sometimes in winter we're ready for bed by 6:00 Maybe 7.

Course then we're up at 4 am.... and it doesn't get light til after 8.

Spring is good, when it gets light earlier.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Did you ever stop to think what life was like before electric lights, radio/TV etc?

People went to bed at sundown and got up at sunrise--Actually, people were accustmed to "two sleeps," That involved sleeping from sundown to about midnight, waking for 1-3 hrs , then returning to sleep. If you read 18th or 19th century literture, you'll often see the term "second sleep" mentioned...and most of the world has been accustomed to naps (siesta etc) in the afternoon. It's healthier to go with what MotherNature intended for us.

With a little creativity & imagination, one can always find ways to occupy their time, if one has creativity and imagination.
I think about that quite often and have heard about the sleeping habits of people before artificial light became common.

In the relentless and unquestioned drive for affluence and convenience, “developed” societies have lost a lot of priceless things that we didn’t even hunt down, sequester, buy, or APPRECIATE.

Every time I look out at a beautifully dark night sky pinpointedwith brilliant stars, I think about how the most convenient, well-amenitied, materially prosperous places don’t have this gift from the universe.

Winter skies on clear, cold nights stand out for their stark panoramas. I’ll take infinite natural wonder over infinite convenience any day or night.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I love northern Wisconsin in the summer).
I would guess northern WI in winter sometimes sees the light show called Aurora Borealis? I’d put on any clothing needed to get out and see that!

Old 03-04-2022, 05:25 PM

37,460 posts, read 61,373,044 times
For years Maine has had the oldest residents of any state.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:33 PM

This thread reminds me of a quote from my sweet little Grandmother, telling stories from her youth. My grandmother's name was Elvina, which she said was a play on the word Eleven, for she was the eleventh child.

I said WOW, eleven! Why so many?

She said well, they said it was a big farm and they wanted the hands to work the fields... but she said the truth is she didn't think they were all that planned, it was just very cold in Minnesota in winter, and back then there just wasn't much else to do after dark.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-04-2022 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This thread reminds me of a quote from my sweet little Grandmother, telling stories from her youth. My grandmother's name was Elvina, which she said was a play on the word Eleven, for she was the eleventh child.

I said WOW, eleven! Why so many?

She said well, they said it was a big farm and they wanted the hands to work the fields... but she said the truth is she didn't think they were all that planned, it was just very cold in Minnesota in winter, and back then there just wasn't much else to do after dark.
Retired senior women are having babies?

Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Retired senior women are having babies?

my sweet little Grandmother, telling stories from her youth

(I guess I skipped over the "retiree" part of the thread)

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-04-2022 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living