Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 07:26 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I would guess northern WI in winter sometimes sees the light show called Aurora Borealis? I’d put on any clothing needed to get out and see that!

One of the things we did recently was go to Newport State Park on a clear night that was not quite "new moon". The park has received a "Dark Skies" designation, and I have heard that occasionally, the Aurora Borealis is visible there, although we didn't see it when we went. Amazing display of stars, however, but VERY cold!!

But speaking of cold, a lot of people think that winter here is always below 10 degrees or so. Actually, the average daily high this winter has been "only" about 26 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 08:48 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For years Maine has had the oldest residents of any state.
Four to six months of cryostasis every year...

Old 03-04-2022, 09:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Retired senior women are having babies?
Yup. They are members of one of the 60 new genders we keep hearing about.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Yup. They are members of one of the 60 new genders we keep hearing about.
Just envision it: Granny wearing senior Depends and “babyx” in the infant version.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:57 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, I don't really understand why anyone lives year round in the northern parts of the Midwest. You could offer me 160 acres of land for free if I would live there year round and I wouldn't be interested.

That said, the book "Wintering" by Catherine May might be worth reading in this vein.

Even here in eastern WA, I do value some "down time" in winter. Just staying home and burning the wood stove.
Thank you M3.....I'd not heard of this book but living in the frozen NE (VT) I am actually going to get it.

When I was working, winter was not that big a deal; obviously, I was busy 8 hrs a day. But now that I'm retired, I'm really not happy about it. LOL. Our winter lasts from, call it Nov/Dec to May (april varies).

It has often occurred to me though that we are animals and winter is the season of hibernation. So naps, a slowing of the pace, nesting .... all seem quite natural during this season. But, if like me you get a little down, from the lack of light and being cooped up, you need a plan....I have a 'light,' I have a list of things I could do (haha), I have books, I have a craft or two I could engage in.....

This year I'm working on planning one or two outings per month, to keep my energy going (this month, a massage and a spa day).

Summer in VT is glorious, so I have no real complaints there.

Last edited by Riley.; 03-05-2022 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 03-05-2022, 06:19 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
So-so reviews of "Wintering." I have a little book called the Scandinavian Guide to Happiness" that I recently purchased, and it discusses Hygge, Lagom and other Nordic 'art of happiness.' I do alot of these things already...

Old 03-05-2022, 07:22 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Four to six months of cryostasis every year...

It's not *quite* that bad, I'm about 40 miles SW of Submariner. It can get down to -25 and stay there for a while, but if you have the right clothing and footgear it can be handled. I got snowed in for a couple of months or so this year but with snowshoes and a hunting sled I could hike out to the road to get packages that were delivered, pantry was already well stocked so that wasn't an issue, could have gone for a couple more months, though the Mrs. would have had to start using the shelf-stable back-up milk in her coffee (and there is canned milk if that runs out, and powdered milk if the canned runs out).

Snowshoes are good exercise too, but I haven't done much this Winter since my lungs are still screwed from Covid, the half-mile out to the road and back is about all I can handle.

Sometimes we get snow before the end of September, and sometimes we are still getting snow at the end of April, but it doesn't always go that way...but we do joke a little bit about only having three seasons- 'Winter', 'Mud Season', and 'Preparing For Winter'. And there's enough to do in Summer that being able to slow down and relax by the fire a little in Winter can be a good thing.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:32 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I live in Aridzona, and hibernate in the summer. Stay in the air conditioned house, car, restaurant, store, and only go outside before 9 am or after dark.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
While I don't think I've ever actually hibernated, I have always been very affected by light levels....in the wintertime I'm pretty much ready for bed around 6 p.m.! Sadly, life has never allowed me to actually go to bed that early.

We had a couple of big snowstorms here this winter, which kept me housebound for several days and I found I really enjoyed the excuse to bundle up with some hot chocolate or tea and watch old movies all day. I don't think I would want to do that for an entire season, though! Any time the sun is shining and the temp is above 20 degrees or so, I try to get out for a walk in the fresh air...but most days have to settle for exercising at the Y. Not sure if I answered your question!

Old 03-05-2022, 09:18 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I live in Aridzona, and hibernate in the summer. Stay in the air conditioned house, car, restaurant, store, and only go outside before 9 am or after dark.
That’s my wife’s family. They all upped and moved to the land of eternal sunshine and summer…Florida.
They stay inside as much as possible from April to October.
The AC goes down and it’s a humanitarian crisis on the biblical level.
But hey, at least they don’t need to shovel any snow.

Depending on your own personal cold tolerance, most of the US “winter” like real winter, is December to March.
Here in the NE, it can vary by year, but on average, for me personally, winter really kicks in around the first week of January and lasts until the end of February maybe first week of March. I have better than average cold tolerance though. I do not own pants. I wear shorts and a t-shirt shirt nearly all year long. If it’s really cold, like low 20’s or below, I’ll put on a hoodie or flannel. I believe the key is that I never bundle up, and I spend a lot of time outdoors, so I think my body adjusts and adapts to the cold. I also believe that has boosted my immune system as I never get sick. The last time I had a cold I was still wearing long pants and jackets in the winter.
And yes, everyone thinks I’m batcrap crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living