Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:58 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Here in the NE, it can vary by year, but on average, for me personally, winter really kicks in around the first week of January and lasts until the end of February maybe first week of March. I have better than average cold tolerance though. I do not own pants. I wear shorts and a t-shirt shirt nearly all year long. If it’s really cold, like low 20’s or below, I’ll put on a hoodie or flannel. I believe the key is that I never bundle up, and I spend a lot of time outdoors, so I think my body adjusts and adapts to the cold. I also believe that has boosted my immune system as I never get sick. The last time I had a cold I was still wearing long pants and jackets in the winter.
And yes, everyone thinks I’m batcrap crazy.
That's my husband. When we first moved to Colorado from SoCal in 1986 (we moved to WI 19 months ago), he went everywhere in shorts even in six inches of snow. He said the looks he got when he went to the grocery store were something to see! Of course, this was before it was fashionable for young men to wear shorts even in freezing weather, like some kind of proof of manhood. I used to just shake my head seeing all the high school boys in shorts waiting for the bus in sub-freezing weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have a funny story about summer in Wisconsin. In 2019 I rented a Airbnb apartment on a farm about 20 minutes from Kenosha. They had a pond to swim, fish and boat on, walking trails, fire pit to sit outside etc. We had a husky/shepherd mix and they were dog friendly so I thought it would be the perfect place to have fun when we weren’t visiting friends.

Being gone for 22 years I completely forgot about mosquitoes if they had a wet spring. We arrive at noon and the host comes out with a hat with a mosquito net). The mosquitoes were so thick that you had to run between the car and house. The big guy who loves the outdoors would run out to pee and right back in. Then my friends in town mentioned that spring was very wet and they couldn’t even sit outside during the day because of the mosquitoes.
I feel very lucky -- or maybe the mosquitoes either don't like our body chemistries or exactly where we live -- but we were warned about black flies before we moved to Maine (lived there 2004-2006) and about mosquitoes in Wisconsin, but although we encountered both in moderate quantities, it was only for a bout a month and it was no big deal. Of course, we only spent three summers in Maine and have only spent one August-September in WI, so I am certainly not smug! I just hope that I won't be bitchin' about it six months from now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 08:30 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
There is only one thing to do when you are holed up in the house with your spouse......... internet surfing!

Old 03-06-2022, 09:07 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Four to six months of cryostasis every year...
Over exaggeration maybe?

Old 03-06-2022, 09:09 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
One advantage of a climate that includes a cold season is winterkill. Vermin often die off when it's cold.

I live in Hawaii where we don't have a seasonal die-off and are consequently battling with roaches, rats and other critters, year-round.
And the homeless migrate away.

Our nearest city gives homeless people a free bus ticket to Santa Barbara.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:43 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Santa Barbara has more than its share. I used to live there and visited in September. Maui and other Hawaiian Islands do as well.

During the pandemic year, we had many loud and crude, low-income people visiting Maui, spending Enhanced Unemployment and rent money suddenly available due to the rent-payment moratorium.

Recently, I have noticed several younger, homeless, ghetto-types cruising around aimlessly on beater bicycles, intently watching tourists and locals as if searching for a victim. They are a new element here and probably the result of the recent, sub-100 dollar airfares.

I hope they don't stay. I moved here to get away from them.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:16 AM

1,812 posts, read 901,946 times
Dang, we do just as much outside in the winter as we do in the summer. The only thing that changes is what type of clothes we wear. I can’t imagine living in the heat anymore. We visit family in Oklahoma and it’s just dreadful when the temps get over 75. I always feel like my skin is on fire. Then when the humidity comes up we’d just sit inside in front of a fan with the air conditioning set at 65. No thanks.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
OP, I have a funny little story about something I did, kind of like "hibernating". I retired from the state highway department in Ky. after 26 years. The first winter after I retired, we had a big snow with ice underneath. I had my wife take a picture of me relaxing in my recliner with my laptop. I put "wish you were here" underneath it and sent it to any of my state contacts that had a state email address in our district. I heard it got a lot of laughs but there were at few, at first, were saying something about my family tree. lol
As far as hibernating, we stay in most of the time, her more than me. I stay up late watching old shows and movies on roku, getting to sleep by 1 or 2. Up by 9 AM.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Sadly, very common. People complain about homeless in California, but most aren't home grown. There has been some good in depth research on this practice. It's despicable.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sadly, very common. People complain about homeless in California, but most aren't home grown. There has been some good in depth research on this practice. It's despicable.
It is despicable for sure. A town we used to live in would get “imported unwanteds” bussed over from other towns and counties when they heard that our homeless shelter had some space. Hey, there were plenty of homegrown young deadbeats already. We did not need “new product” from elsewhere.

It was harder and harder to walk away from or ignore the bums. One of them stepped in front of my spouse and thrust a lollipop in his face—I mean inches in front of his face—which the bum no doubt got FREE from a bank or other business’s candy jar. No words stated, just that implied msg of “Give me money for taking this!” My husband pushed the candy right back at him as we kept walking. I had seen that bum around many, many times. At first, he was dressed in a suit, trying to pass as a street musician, though I never heard or saw him actually performing. As the weeks and months went by, he got grubbier and more creepy-eyed. At least once he was hanging nearby our house, trying to catch my eye and probably the other neighbors’ as they came outside. The last time I saw him he had gained a giant black eye and other damage to his face and all his clothes were torn. He was still wearing the same filthy suit.

It was obvious he had bussed or hitchhiked into town and had nowhere to go and was unemployable. There were many more like that around. It got worse literally each of the few years we lived there. Visibly, obviously worse. It’s hard to ignore when they run over and scream garbled, sometimes threatening rants at passersby who didn’t even go near the turds in the first place. Some day an armed tourist is going to shoot one in self-defense.

I read that the bussing out/moving bums elsewhere practice started with ol’ Bernie Sanders when he was VT’s governor. NIMBY.

Last edited by pikabike; 03-10-2022 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-10-2022, 01:08 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It is despicable for sure. A town we used to live in would get “imported unwanteds” bussed over from other towns and counties when they heard that our homeless shelter had some space. Hey, there were plenty of homegrown young deadbeats already. We did not need “new product” from elsewhere.

It was harder and harder to walk away from or ignore the bums. One of them stepped in front of my spouse and thrust a lollipop in his face—I mean inches in front of his face—which the bum no doubt got FREE from a bank or other business’s candy jar. No words stated, just that implied msg of “Give me money for taking this!” My husband pushed the candy right back at him as we kept walking. I had seen that bum around many, many times. At first, he was dressed in a suit, trying to pass as a street musician, though I never heard or saw him actually performing. As the weeks and months went by, he got grubbier and more creepy-eyed. At least once he was hanging nearby our house, trying to catch my eye and probably the other neighbors’ as they came outside. The last time I saw him he had gained a giant black eye and other damage to his face and all his clothes were torn. He was still wearing the same filthy suit.

It was obvious he had bussed or hitchhiked into town and had nowhere to go and was unemployable. There were many more like that around. It got worse literally each of the few years we lived there. Visibly, obviously worse. It’s hard to ignore when they run over and scream garbled, sometimes threatening rants at passersby who didn’t even go near the turds in the first place. Some day an armed tourist is going to shoot one in self-defense.

I read that the bussing out/moving bums elsewhere practice started with ol’ Bernie Sanders when he was VT’s governor. NIMBY.
I think this should be moved into the P&OC or Great Debates forums for discussion just because it is off-topic for this discussion, imo. However, I am certainly not making light of this situation, as I think it is a very important topic to discuss. I just wish I had some answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living