Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 06:56 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I live in the city too. And I know that these days there are no "deserted property" any more. Land either belong to someone or the government, even if no one is there. If I am going to be in a place unfamiliar to me, say Lake Tahoe, you bet I will be studying up on who owns the land I am going to walk on and whether it is made available for the public to access. Even if a park, I will be studying up on where the boundary is and what can or cannot be done where (like whether I can fly a drone). I am not going to be wandering around randomly.

But our neighborhood is a "cul-de-sac" with a gate on the lone access road. It is sandwiched by a country highway (no parking for miles) and water. So there is really no chance for outside people to wander on to my property.

As for people inside the neighborhood, although my fence is just a row of cypress trees in some parts and white-painted 4x4 posts in other parts, that's more than enough for people inside the neighborhood to know it's a private property. So in conclusion, the people who visited my property know they are trespassing.
What kind of trash did you find? Beer bottles, things that look like kids would leave behind, what?

Old 07-03-2022, 08:33 AM

1,100 posts, read 432,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
And there you go again, conflating the issues. This is a simple trespassing situation, with no threats of any kind, nor any contact with any trespassers. It is in no way a deadly force situation. Do try and keep up, and deal with the actual issue, rather than making up things to suit your silly narrative.

A "simple" trespasser is a trespasser nonetheless, and OP is clearly sick of it. Who cares if you're in contact with them or not.

I would go down there with a gun and wait for them, me personally. Not to shoot them but to scare them into not coming back.

OP also look into signs to post everywhere.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:13 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What kind of trash did you find? Beer bottles, things that look like kids would leave behind, what?
This is what I saw in the most recent trip; on my deck and in grass. The red bearded burglar actually kept the place cleaner.

What can property owner do to a trespasser besides calling the cops?-trash-1.jpg

What can property owner do to a trespasser besides calling the cops?-trash-2.png

Old 07-03-2022, 11:10 AM

629 posts, read 410,577 times
Did you get a name off the prescription bottle?

Go to Harbor Freight, buy one of their $300 Cobra security cam kits, get an internet connection, and record who's doing it. Make sure one camera is oriented such that you can see if the people are approaching from your neighbors house (such as their children, or guests). And be prepared to discuss what you record with your neighbors.

Most people, I believe, are not going to respect the boundaries you specify, as being particularly "prohibitive". A row of trees and a painted post in the ground just do not say "stay away" loudly enough that anyone is gonna pay attention. Most people see themselves as the center of the universe, and your subtle boundaries just won't impress them.

On top of the camera system, I'd still plan to "hide out" for a week in the house making it appear that no one is home. Lay in wait, and then raise heII with whoever you catch. Make their experience a memorable one, and your problems should be reduced greatly.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
I live in the city too. And I know that these days there are no "deserted property" any more. Land either belong to someone or the government, even if no one is there. If I am going to be in a place unfamiliar to me, say Lake Tahoe, you bet I will be studying up on who owns the land I am going to walk on and whether it is made available for the public to access. Even if a park, I will be studying up on where the boundary is and what can or cannot be done where (like whether I can fly a drone). I am not going to be wandering around randomly.

But our neighborhood is a "cul-de-sac" with a gate on the lone access road. It is sandwiched by a country highway (no parking for miles) and water. So there is really no chance for outside people to wander on to my property.

As for people inside the neighborhood, although my fence is just a row of cypress trees in some parts and white-painted 4x4 posts in other parts, that's more than enough for people inside the neighborhood to know it's a private property. So in conclusion, the people who visited my property know they are trespassing.
Thank you! I wish everybody checked ahead before using the Better to Apologize After Than Ask First method. As can be seen in various threads, some trespassers might not get the chance to apologize standing up, or they will end up wasting a lot a lot of time when a PO’ed owner makes them sweat bullets, or they will be severely mauled by dogs who don’t care about legalities.

You need to schedule some time to talk with a deputy about how to prevent the trespassing AND on limits to what you’re allowed. I doubt brandishing is acceptable other than in case of imminent personal danger.

Good luck, and please follow up later.

EDIT: I just looked at the first photo. That was no casual pass-through. Plastic bags, drug bottles, any needles? Show the police the photos. If there was illegal drug use or “camping” involved, they will take things more seriously. We get that kind of human dregs around here, too. It isn’t just kids tossing out beer cans or used condoms.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post

A "simple" trespasser is a trespasser nonetheless, and OP is clearly sick of it. Who cares if you're in contact with them or not.

I would go down there with a gun and wait for them, me personally. Not to shoot them but to scare them into not coming back.

OP also look into signs to post everywhere.
Why would you spend 24 hours over God knows how long of a period hiding and waiting for someone who might or might not come back, when you could just put cameras up and see if anyone comes? OP doesn’t know how often they were there. Maybe they were there one time 3 weeks ago. With technology today, there is absolutely no reason to have to hide and stalk someone on your own property. He probably even have to hide his car, for God knows how long, because the person or people are not coming when he is there. Once he knows who it is, and that they are coming back repeatedly, then he can decide what to do about it.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
This is what I saw in the most recent trip; on my deck and in grass. The red bearded burglar actually kept the place cleaner.

Attachment 237827

Attachment 237828
That’s weird, an empty bag of rice! Could someone have dumped trash there?

Old 07-03-2022, 01:58 PM

629 posts, read 410,577 times
Quote:
Why would you spend 24 hours over God knows how long of a period hiding and waiting for someone who might or might not come back, when you could just put cameras up and see if anyone comes? OP doesn’t know how often they were there. Maybe they were there one time 3 weeks ago. With technology today, there is absolutely no reason to have to hide and stalk someone on your own property. He probably even have to hide his car, for God knows how long, because the person or people are not coming when he is there. Once he knows who it is, and that they are coming back repeatedly, then he can decide what to do about it.
If he's finding evidence on his back porch, then there is NO reason to believe he could not "hide out" in the comfort of his favorite easy chair.

The offender will remember being "caught unawares" much more vividly than they will by photo evidence. Thereafter there will always be a doubt in the perp's mind if the property is vacant.

Personally I don;t think that I would come out the door brandishing a firearm. But I'd sure have one handy. VERY HANDY.

My way, the property owner can be sitting in his onsite easy chair watching TV, and monitoring his camera system with his smartphone or computing device. And then respond once alerted, A leveraged solution!!

Old 07-03-2022, 02:12 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,448 times
Quote:
I honestly haven't paid attention myself other than the short OP.

He could sit there with a gun if he wanted to, that was my point.

Old 07-03-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
If he's finding evidence on his back porch, then there is NO reason to believe he could not "hide out" in the comfort of his favorite easy chair.

The offender will remember being "caught unawares" much more vividly than they will by photo evidence. Thereafter there will always be a doubt in the perp's mind if the property is vacant.

Personally I don;t think that I would come out the door brandishing a firearm. But I'd sure have one handy. VERY HANDY.

My way, the property owner can be sitting in his onsite easy chair watching TV, and monitoring his camera system with his smartphone or computing device. And then respond once alerted, A leveraged solution!!

But he doesn't live there, most likely he has a job or something where he does live. You're advocating he turn his life upside down and move out of his house for a month or however long it takes, hide his car, hide in the dark, until a trespasser shows up? He won't even be able to watch TV. It seems ridiculous to me when all he has to do is hook up cameras and see them from anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living