Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 06:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I went to the place for the long weekend and was able to pull out the medicine bottle left at my place. There is name on the bottle.

Is this info of any use? It could be from someone unrelated. Will police be spending time on this stuff? Seems even bigger problems are not being dealt with... Or is there something I can do MYSELF with this info?

Attachment 237914
Every place is different. I used to live out in the country and morons do actually dump garbage thinking it is OK. Here if they are dumb enough to dump anything with their name on it the police WILL charge them with with as many crimes as they commited depending on the location of the dumped garbage. This is from multiple personal experiances.

As for just trespassing with no harm done to the property there is very little that can be done becuase of hunting laws. As a trespasser you can just say you shot whatever is in season and it ran/flew on to the property and you are just looking for it.

On a side note I had a tree strip about 100 yards wide and 500 yards long. Hemp grows wild all over around here and my tree stip was full of it. Mainly high school kids would see it and trespass to take some thinking they could get high from it. I had a barbed wire fence. Personally I found this funny but opinions vary. You could hear them stop. So I would get out my 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge shotgun and wait for them to get across the fence into my property. Then walk out to the road and fire a couple shots up into the air. Those kids would hit that fence and cut the heck out of themselves trying to get away. Sometimes the driver would stay in the car and when I fired into the air they would take off and leave the others behind. I lived 12 miles from town.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:12 PM

629 posts, read 410,834 times
See if the name on the bottle matches that of any of your neighbors. Then if it does, pay them a visit and share your concerns.

It's a first step in a process of elimination

Old 07-07-2022, 07:24 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Common for tweakers to carry "other" pills in a bottle prescribed to them (their name). This is why your prescriptions now carry a visual description of the meds the label. Easy for a lazy cop to make the same mistake you just did and look the other day thinking s/he just has chronic indigestion.
By the same token, I don’t think you can assume the pill belongs to the trespasser. It’s possible he stole medicine from someone, thinking it was something better than heartburn medication.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:34 AM

629 posts, read 410,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why would you spend 24 hours over God knows how long of a period hiding and waiting for someone who might or might not come back, when you could just put cameras up and see if anyone comes?
If you read the initial post in this thread, the O.P. laments that police are 30 minutes away, and asks what a property owner can do to hold a trespasser "accountable".

That sounds to me like a person who is willing to invest the time necessary to intercept the perpetrator(s). If the police can't be there, yet the property owners wishes to force the trespasser to take responsibility, then the owner is going to have to either hire a contractor, or roll up their own sleeves.

There are tools such as camera systems, that can make his job easier....but the simple fact remains that currently the perp is enjoying the knowledge that the property sits vacant when they are doing their bit.

If the property owner follows my suggestion and "occupies discreetly" the property sufficiently long to intercept and confront the perp.......then the perp will never again have the comfort in knowing that "nobody" is home at this particular location.

Putting a face on the landlord's wishes can have a lasting effect.

One other thing the O.P. might consider, is going to his nearest shopping mall, and asking to talk to the director of security. When I was working at a large mall out there in California, we had an in house security staff....and being duly licensed as a security agency, the guards were lawfully able to detain shoplifters long enough to transfer to police custody.

It's been years, but if I recall properly the set of requirements one must fulfill are less rigorous for some one intending to police only their own property vs providing a "for hire" service, as a contractor.

But, if the OP isn't even willing to get out the phone book and see if the name on that prescription bottle matches anyone within a mile or so of the site, then there isn't much point in considering "more involved" solutions.

Last edited by Always Needmore; 07-07-2022 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-07-2022, 11:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Yes, even if LE gets involved, they will ask for evidence.

Cameras are necessary but not sufficient in themselves. Same for relying on LE. Stopping these two-legged dregs of society will require more effort than just those.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:28 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Smith and Wesson. Works every time for tresspassers.
I knew there would be a "go ahead, make my day" person in here somewhere.

A few years ago a man near Paducah, Ky. saw some men taking things from his storage unit. One man ran to the pick up and the unit owner shot and killed him. He got a little "visit" to the state penitentiary.

https://www.insideselfstorage.com/co...orage-facility

https://westkentuckystar.com/News/Lo...in-Prison.aspx

Old 07-10-2022, 08:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,705,579 times
[quote=kygman;63777735]I knew there would be a "go ahead, make my day" person in here somewhere.

A few years ago a man near Paducah, Ky. saw some men taking things from his storage unit. One man ran to the pick up and the unit owner shot and killed him. He got a little "visit" to the state penitentiary.

Deservedly so !

Old 07-12-2022, 10:11 AM

1,100 posts, read 432,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I knew there would be a "go ahead, make my day" person in here somewhere.

https://www.insideselfstorage.com/co...orage-facility

https://westkentuckystar.com/News/Lo...in-Prison.aspx
According to this story, he shot the guy in the back when he ran off. Of course he's facing a murder charge. You don't have the right to kill someone for running away, even on your own property let alone a storage place.

Next please?

Old 07-12-2022, 10:58 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
According to this story, he shot the guy in the back when he ran off. Of course he's facing a murder charge. You don't have the right to kill someone for running away, even on your own property let alone a storage place.

Next please?
But you said a homeowner can legally hold a trespasser at gunpoint....so what happens if the trespasser turns and just walks/runs away?

Old 07-12-2022, 12:45 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you said a homeowner can legally hold a trespasser at gunpoint....so what happens if the trespasser turns and just walks/runs away?
First of all this is a storage area, not private property.

Second, in that situation they call your bluff and run off. (I think this guy drove away though). I clearly said at least once you can't shoot someone in the back. Not many people will run and turn around when approached with a shotgun. However I'm guessing if you accidentally (or not) shot a robber in the back in the dark in your house if they breached it you'd probably not face charges at least in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living