Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 02:34 PM

565 posts, read 472,456 times

Advertisements

Here's a story from the 90's. A couple of local guys got their 4 wheeler stuck and as any country bumpkin would do, they went to the nearest house to seek assistance. Unfortunately, the owner of the house was not a good ole boy but a freaked out refugee from commiefornia. He shot both of them and killed one. He will die in prison. Some people should just stay in the city for the safety of us rednecks.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:52 AM

1,812 posts, read 901,946 times
It’s called a “citizens arrest”. You need to understand the laws in your state before making one.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/citizen%27s_arrest

Old 07-20-2022, 03:26 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Yes my question is for if I encounter a trespasser on my property. In my case there is no "accidental" trespassing, because I have fences.

Sounds like there is not much a landowner can do?!
I send two out and hold two in reserve.

Works for me.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times
a fav....

Old 07-20-2022, 03:48 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
That’s a nice place you have there threerun.
Do them dogs hunt bear?

Old 07-20-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
That’s a nice place you have there threerun.
Do them dogs hunt bear?

Birds. Ducks, upland- if it flies it dies.

But I have 4 of them. 3 females and on old grumpy 95lb male. He gets very, very protective of his little harem. If you ain't a friend, UPS or FedX- he will let you know who's boss.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-20-2022 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-20-2022, 09:28 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Say it with me.

"imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household" (or something similar in your state)

If you can prove that in court, you're set. Its very simple.
The prosecution has to prove you broke the law. You don’t have to prove that you didn’t. The law is on the property owner’s side from the get go.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
The prosecution has to prove you broke the law. You don’t have to prove that you didn’t. The law is on the property owner’s side from the get go.
Talk to my friend that racked up a backbreaking amount in legal bills when he shot an intruder in his house.

https://helenair.com/the-homicide-tr...f30f2f65a.html

He won, well a hung jury, but he still had to pay the legal bills.

Imagine if he shot a trespasser not a burglar?

Old 07-21-2022, 01:10 AM

10,764 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
OMG, you’ve been wrong about virtually everything in this thread, and you are wrong again.

When the prosecution establishes that you killed the trespasser, that is a homicide, and they will have proven that you broke the law. Self Defense is an affirmative defense to a charge of homicide, and in California, to use that defense, you will need to establish the following:

1) You reasonably believed that you (or someone else) was in imminent danger of being harmed;
2) You reasonably believed that the imminent use of force was necessary to defend against that danger; and
3) You only used the amount of force that was reasonably necessary to defend against that danger.

You really need to study up on this stuff, because right now, your apparent knowledge of self defense law is at rock bottom levels.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:13 AM

1,100 posts, read 432,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
OMG, you’ve been wrong about virtually everything in this thread, and you are wrong again.
I'm wrong? All I said was a US Citizen is innocent until proven guilty. That's not accurate?

It's not my fault if people live in states where you go to jail if the trespasser gets offended.

Quote:
When the prosecution establishes that you killed the trespasser, that is a homicide, and they will have proven that you broke the law.
This doesn't even make sense yet you continue to tell me I'm wrong, lol. The prosecution can allege that you killed the trespasser in cold blood, and they'd have to prove it. You're not guilty of manslaughter or murder "once the prosecution establishes it".

Quote:
Self Defense is an affirmative defense to a charge of homicide, and in California, to use that defense, you will need to establish the following:

1) You reasonably believed that you (or someone else) was in imminent danger of being harmed;
2) You reasonably believed that the imminent use of force was necessary to defend against that danger; and
3) You only used the amount of force that was reasonably necessary to defend against that danger.

You really need to study up on this stuff, because right now, your apparent knowledge of self defense law is at rock bottom levels.
I don't care about California BS. Funny you tell me I'm ignorant of the law yet you don't even understand the most basic of basics, innocent until proven guilty which does extend to all 50 states in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Talk to my friend that racked up a backbreaking amount in legal bills when he shot an intruder in his house.

https://helenair.com/the-homicide-tr...f30f2f65a.html

He won, well a hung jury, but he still had to pay the legal bills.

Imagine if he shot a trespasser not a burglar?
Looks like he shot this person in the back. I've repeatedly said that is very unwise. It doesn't demonstrate that you are in imminent danger. In states that are more free, though, the law gives you the benefit of the doubt though I still wouldn't advise shooting someone in the back. However in a state like this, if you fired on an intruder that has breached your house you probably wouldn't face charges. This all isn't rocket science. Here in Tennessee you could tell the cops just that someone was in your house and you couldn't see and fired. You wouldn't face charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living