Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 11:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In my particular case, I haven't seen the intruder; my property is unoccupied most of the time; when I arrive after an absence I just see garbage scattered around certain spots. I am preparing for the event when I do encounter the intruder when I arrive.

I want the intruder dealt with by the police. But in my case police is 30 min away; I think one of the below are more likely to occur:

1) The intruder leaves (seems there will be no consequence for the trespassing)

2) There is a confrontation

So I want to know how others deal with this type of issue.

Place a game camera on the property to identify exactly what is taking place.

You need to have a conversation w/ your local PD/Sheriff. They will ask you for a 602pc Letter (different jurisdictions/counties call it different things - consent letter, etc) (google it for examples). 602 is the general penal code for trespassing in CA, and it allows police to enforce trespassing on your property at any/all times.

Where in CA is LE 30 mins away? Certainly not redwood shores. If this is undeveloped land (i.e. Lassen/Mono/Inyo/Shasta counties) the local sheriffs are well versed in trespass laws.

Is it at all possible there is illegal grow activity on the property?

Old 06-29-2022, 11:11 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
is there an easement that runs thru your property or a trail system that has been used for many many years? Almost sounds like it. If so put out a couple of large trash cans next to the areas where people are stopping etc.
Bums, vagrants, and “boondockers” who refuse to pay for legitimate camping are more likely. People try anything now. One local who owns a place elsewhere in the county said he saw someone DRIVE INTO his (apparently) unlocked garage building as he showed up. He has had repeated instances of trespass on that property. “In the old days” people could leave places unlocked. In this era of Take It If Nobody’s Watching, the more security precautions you add, the better.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:14 AM

474 posts, read 406,373 times
1. Where do you live, as laws vary
2. Contact law enforcement for what they need you to provide to enable enforcement
3. If not enough, contact attorney.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:29 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
In some rural areas cops are 30 minutes away. In this situation what can a property owner do to hold an intentional trespasser accountable?
In Redwood Shores?

Old 06-29-2022, 12:29 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Quote:
In my particular case, I haven't seen the intruder; my property is unoccupied most of the time; when I arrive after an absence I just see garbage scattered around certain spots. I am preparing for the event when I do encounter the intruder when I arrive.

I want the intruder dealt with by the police. But in my case police is 30 min away; I think one of the below are more likely to occur:

1) The intruder leaves (seems there will be no consequence for the trespassing)

2) There is a confrontation

So I want to know how others deal with this type of issue.
Well now.....you can handle it anyway you like. Bear pits, trained to kill pet cougars; just remember bodies don't always stay buried.
{Evil grin}

Old 06-29-2022, 12:32 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Barking Dog Alarm with Motion Sensor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XITC5G/

Old 06-29-2022, 01:55 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Place a game camera on the property to identify exactly what is taking place.

You need to have a conversation w/ your local PD/Sheriff. They will ask you for a 602pc Letter (different jurisdictions/counties call it different things - consent letter, etc) (google it for examples). 602 is the general penal code for trespassing in CA, and it allows police to enforce trespassing on your property at any/all times.

Where in CA is LE 30 mins away? Certainly not redwood shores. If this is undeveloped land (i.e. Lassen/Mono/Inyo/Shasta counties) the local sheriffs are well versed in trespass laws.

Is it at all possible there is illegal grow activity on the property?
Yes, then ask around who the person is when you get pictures.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Yes my question is for if I encounter a trespasser on my property. In my case there is no "accidental" trespassing, because I have fences.

Sounds like there is not much a landowner can do?!
Check your state laws. Here the land MUST be posted with signs every so many feet. If it's not posted then technically no one is trespassing according to state law. Set up cameras.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:18 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Bums, vagrants, and “boondockers” who refuse to pay for legitimate camping are more likely. People try anything now. One local who owns a place elsewhere in the county said he saw someone DRIVE INTO his (apparently) unlocked garage building as he showed up. He has had repeated instances of trespass on that property. “In the old days” people could leave places unlocked. In this era of Take It If Nobody’s Watching, the more security precautions you add, the better.
the OP never answered the question. He said hes almost never there. Makes me suspicious as to what is really happening. He never mentions structures, burglary, etc. Just people walking or traveling? across his property.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
the OP never answered the question. He said hes almost never there. Makes me suspicious as to what is really happening. He never mentions structures, burglary, etc. Just people walking or traveling? across his property.
It's just a vacation home in Mendocino County CA. We have a lot of those there. Nothing growing there except for weed (the real weed, not the snoop dog weed). I go there once in a few months.

The house had been broken in before, the last being by the infamous "red bearded bandit". But more often I find trash at different pockets of the land, suggesting people were hanging out in the woods, on my deck, etc. This is not accidental trespassing, because we are an enclosed community with a entrance gate.

I don't expect to find people in the house when I arrive next time; if at all, I think it would be seeing people on my land. So I need a plan in place to handle the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living