Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 03:09 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In my particular case, I haven't seen the intruder; my property is unoccupied most of the time; when I arrive after an absence I just see garbage scattered around certain spots. I am preparing for the event when I do encounter the intruder when I arrive.

I want the intruder dealt with by the police. But in my case police is 30 min away; I think one of the below are more likely to occur:

1) The intruder leaves (seems there will be no consequence for the trespassing)

2) There is a confrontation

So I want to know how others deal with this type of issue.

Why don't you put cameras up outside and see what goes on when you're absent? I personally probably wouldn't directly confront at night in rural area with no eyes around. I'd wait for cops. But I'm a woman. I would put the cameras up though so I knew what I was dealing with. Maybe they only come around when they know you're not there. Maybe it's become a kid's party spot or something.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Bums, vagrants, and “boondockers” who refuse to pay for legitimate camping are more likely. People try anything now. One local who owns a place elsewhere in the county said he saw someone DRIVE INTO his (apparently) unlocked garage building as he showed up. He has had repeated instances of trespass on that property. “In the old days” people could leave places unlocked. In this era of Take It If Nobody’s Watching, the more security precautions you add, the better.

I don't think that sounds likely at all in a gated community. Gated community implies stopping at a booth or needing to be able to unlock a gate. I am betting it's neighborhood teens who live in the community looking for place to get high/make out/hang out, something like that.

OP just do cameras, motion lights, and put some lights inside on timers so it's less obvious when you're not there. I think those steps should come before you start worrying about a confrontation. They're probably only coming when they know you're not there.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:30 PM

629 posts, read 410,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe they only come around when they know you're not there. Maybe it's become a kid's party spot or something.
Thats what I'm suspecting too. Neighbor's kids cant get stoned at home when their parents are around, so they slip next door where they know that no one is watching the store.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:30 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
Those people are complete fools. Had they just not aimed the guns nothing would have happened. From my knowledge, all these jobless losers were trespassing in a private community, not their actual property. Those people stepped foot on their actual yard toward them, they wouldn't have faced any charges. I wouldn't point a gun at protesters walking down my street but if they stepped onto my yard I would.

That said, those people are complete idiots. They clearly do not know how to even handle firearms. (You don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're about to kill someone, lady.)

Old 06-30-2022, 05:38 PM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Lol how so? Please enlighten me.

I know my rights and the gun laws here. You don't have to retreat here on your own property if there's a threat unlike other states where a robber will get a paper cut and sue the homeowner for it being too dangerous for him to rob and win.

I wouldn't use lethal force but I would keep a gun on a trespasser until the cops came. What's so awful about that?

No one's talking about a duty to retreat. There is no provision under TN law allowing you to shoot a trespasser just for the act of trespassing. Castle Doctrine doesn't allow it, and Stand Your ground doesn't allow it. And the OP has made it clear that that trespassers haven't been threatening him with death or grave bodily injury.

If this were Breaking Bad, Mike Ehrmantraut does whatever he wants to. Not so much in the real world.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:35 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Lol how so? Please enlighten me.

I know my rights and the gun laws here. You don't have to retreat here on your own property if there's a threat unlike other states where a robber will get a paper cut and sue the homeowner for it being too dangerous for him to rob and win.

I wouldn't use lethal force but I would keep a gun on a trespasser until the cops came. What's so awful about that?
Its ****ty technique and shows a lack of knowledge of defensive tactics and, likely, the law. I saw likely because I don't pretend to be an expert in TN law.

No civilian defensive tactics training would recommend presenting your weapon during a non-lethal encounter. And if you did, the suggestion would be to holster after you no longer feared for your life (and maybe property, using your argument). If he was restrained, holding at gunpoint would be outrageous, especially if LE was 30 minutes away, as was presented in this scenario. Then - what if he ran - away from you? What would you do? Shoot? Pursue? Then who is the aggressor? Any competent atty would have a field day with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No one's talking about a duty to retreat. There is no provision under TN law allowing you to shoot a trespasser just for the act of trespassing. Castle Doctrine doesn't allow it, and Stand Your ground doesn't allow it. And the OP has made it clear that that trespassers haven't been threatening him with death or grave bodily injury.

If this were Breaking Bad, Mike Ehrmantraut does whatever he wants to. Not so much in the real world.
This one isnt worth it... lol.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:44 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In some rural areas cops are 30 minutes away. In this situation what can a property owner do to hold an intentional trespasser accountable?
If you are truly "rural," then you should have a backhoe. It makes body disposal so much easier.

Actually, there's really not much you can do, at this point. Has the trespasser damaged/stolen any property?

Old 06-30-2022, 07:52 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,448 times
Quote:
Did you just stop reading when I said "if/when they pose a threat"? Nothing illegal or wrong with cornering a known nuisance trespasser with a gun and waiting on the cops. If anything that would probably...gasp...solve the issue.

Quote:
You mean TV shows are fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Its ****ty technique and shows a lack of knowledge of defensive tactics and, likely, the law. I saw likely because I don't pretend to be an expert in TN law.
You're obviously not. I've lived here my whole life. I know the law in my own state thank you very much. This isn't California.

Quote:
No civilian defensive tactics training would recommend presenting your weapon during a non-lethal encounter. And if you did, the suggestion would be to holster after you no longer feared for your life (and maybe property, using your argument).
Ultimately you use your own judgement on your own property but the law is on your side, at least in this state. Cornering someone with a 12 gauge and then them being arrested, I doubt they'd come back and bother you.

Quote:
If he was restrained, holding at gunpoint would be outrageous, especially if LE was 30 minutes away, as was presented in this scenario.
Did I utter a word about restraining or even laying a hand on this person? Corner them with the gun, wait for the cops to come. OP, explain the whole issue to the police. They're gonna be on your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200rt
Then - what if he ran - away from you? What would you do? Shoot? Pursue? Then who is the aggressor? Any competent atty would have a field day with that one.
You people really are twisting my words. First of all, nobody would turn around and run with a shotgun pointed at them. And of course you can't shoot someone in the back---are you out of your mind? That would indicate they were heeding your advice and vacating your property and probably land you with a murder or manslaughter charge.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:38 PM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Did you just stop reading when I said "if/when they pose a threat"? Nothing illegal or wrong with cornering a known nuisance trespasser with a gun and waiting on the cops. If anything that would probably...gasp...solve the issue.

You mean TV shows are fiction?

You're obviously not. I've lived here my whole life. I know the law in my own state thank you very much. This isn't California.

Ultimately you use your own judgement on your own property but the law is on your side, at least in this state. Cornering someone with a 12 gauge and then them being arrested, I doubt they'd come back and bother you.

Did I utter a word about restraining or even laying a hand on this person? Corner them with the gun, wait for the cops to come. OP, explain the whole issue to the police. They're gonna be on your side.

You people really are twisting my words. First of all, nobody would turn around and run with a shotgun pointed at them. And of course you can't shoot someone in the back---are you out of your mind? That would indicate they were heeding your advice and vacating your property and probably land you with a murder or manslaughter charge.
I read where you said that the OP would be allowed to shoot the trespasser in TN.

If TN law allows you to corner and hold trespassers at gunpoint, post up the relevant section.

Introducing a gun into a non lethal force situation is incredibly stupid.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:56 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times
This is big because it indicates SCOTUS would not decide well in the case of birthright citizenship.

I personally think the anxiety for workers is a short term bandaid that will soon be addressed by automation and robotics. The heavier desire is for more consumers…

I’m starting to believe in the woes of capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living