Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 10:44 AM

629 posts, read 414,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes you need WiFi, I guess unless it’s a hard wired camera. Although this one I found in a minute or two of looking that does not require Wi-Fi so I assume there are more of them:

FWIW, I don't think he's talking about the link between the camera and the base station. I believe he's talking about the link between the base station and the rest of the world. Which could range anywhere from an app on his smart phone, to a paid monitoring service.

For him to be able to access the live feed from his smart phone, he'll need an internet account that includes a static IP at the monitored location

Old 07-01-2022, 11:03 AM

51,015 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
FWIW, I don't think he's talking about the link between the camera and the base station. I believe he's talking about the link between the base station and the rest of the world. Which could range anywhere from an app on his smart phone, to a paid monitoring service.

For him to be able to access the live feed from his smart phone, he'll need an internet account that includes a static IP at the monitored location
It doesn’t necessarily have to be live feed though does it? Like I’m assuming his regular home is nowhere near this home that he’s going to be able to watch it on the video and then race over to confront them. My thinking was more to look at the tapes when he goes back to his house, see who it was, if anyone, and go to the cops. Or the kids parents, or whoever. Right now he doesn’t know anything for sure, except that he’s found a couple of pieces of trash on his property. So my first priority would be just to find out what exactly is going on there.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:32 AM

629 posts, read 414,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t necessarily have to be live feed though does it? .
Admittedly, he hasn't been particularly forthcoming with details that would allow better help. But where he stated "broadcast to the net" gave me the impression he wanted to monitor remotely.

I've seen fairly decent 4 camera systems at Harbor Freight for just a few hundred bucks. He could install such a system stand-alone, and plug it into the net later, if he decided there was a benefit in doing so.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:34 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,246,513 times
Game cams.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:51 PM
KCZ

4,688 posts, read 3,694,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I was referring to the internet service. The one service in our area costs $80 minimum. Isn't that how the camera system broadcast footages online?

Do you need to have your footage online? If you see someone while you're not there, are you going to call the police from several hours away and tell them you saw someone on your property? Are they actually going to come? Are they going to take even longer than 30 minutes if they know no one is home and at risk of bodily assault? If the trespassers leave before the police arrive, I'm not sure online video is going to help an absentee owner much.

Figure out where they're coming in...unless they're neighbors they must have a car...are there pulloffs or tire tracks in evidence? Put some game cams up at their entry point to get their plates, places where they have been leaving trash, and around the house, and plan to check them regularly.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:06 PM

29 posts, read 37,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
You people really are twisting my words. First of all, nobody would turn around and run with a shotgun pointed at them. And of course you can't shoot someone in the back---are you out of your mind? That would indicate they were heeding your advice and vacating your property and probably land you with a murder or manslaughter charge.
Seems you contradicted yourself here.
I think MOST people would walk away if all they did was trespass on your property. As you said yourself, "or course you can't shoot someone in the back". Knowing this, I would certainly walk away. (Not that I would have trespassed, knowingly, in the first place.)

Old 07-01-2022, 03:28 PM

1,100 posts, read 434,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisF6 View Post
Seems you contradicted yourself here.
I think MOST people would walk away if all they did was trespass on your property. As you said yourself, "or course you can't shoot someone in the back". Knowing this, I would certainly walk away. (Not that I would have trespassed, knowingly, in the first place.)
Shooting someone in the back would suggest you killed them as they were retreating. That would not be wise.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,315,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Do you need to have your footage online? If you see someone while you're not there, are you going to call the police from several hours away and tell them you saw someone on your property? Are they actually going to come? Are they going to take even longer than 30 minutes if they know no one is home and at risk of bodily assault? If the trespassers leave before the police arrive, I'm not sure online video is going to help an absentee owner much.

Figure out where they're coming in...unless they're neighbors they must have a car...are there pulloffs or tire tracks in evidence? Put some game cams up at their entry point to get their plates, places where they have been leaving trash, and around the house, and plan to check them regularly.
My ideal requirements are these:

-- 4-5 cameras continuous monitoring
-- Broadcast live online so I can view from my phone or laptop remotely
-- Footages are saved automatically at a remote location and retrievable for at least one month

My understanding is I need:

1) A security camera system
2) Internet ISP
3) Some company or my own harddrive setup to save the footages

Is this correct? If anyone can recommend vendors that would be great

Old 07-01-2022, 04:23 PM

1,100 posts, read 434,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My ideal requirements are these:

-- 4-5 cameras continuous monitoring
-- Broadcast live online so I can view from my phone or laptop remotely
-- Footages are saved automatically at a remote location and retrievable for at least one month

My understanding is I need:

1) A security camera system
2) Internet ISP
3) Some company or my own harddrive setup to save the footages

Is this correct? If anyone can recommend vendors that would be great
Call up ADT. It will be expensive but it's the best. Undefeatable alarm with cellular backup. We have surveillance up and it's been almost a year and we still haven't even scrubbed it once. (In other words, we could go back to any moment in time in the past 10 months.)

Old 07-01-2022, 08:37 PM

10,789 posts, read 5,728,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Oh tomato/tomahto. I have clearly said "if they pose a threat" about 7 times. You are reaching. I didn't engross myself into every word in this thread, god forgive me. But here is the OP:
You’re the one that made the demonstrably false claim. Own it.

Quote:
Yes, in this situation in Tennessee you can legally kill the person if they pose a threat. You don't seem to get that property owners have rights. Automatically the law is going to be on your side. How hard is this to understand? Again let me stress that I personally am not looking to shoot anyone, but I absolutely would if I had to.
You keep trying to massage the facts to suit your narrative. The OP’s situation is simple trespass, with no threat of grave bodily injury or death. You can’t shoot the trespasser on that situation. If there is a threat of grave bodily injury or death, a deadly force response is justified, but it has nothing to do with trespassing.

Quote:
I don't need to cite the law, I know my own state. Why don't you prove me wrong since you care so much? Want the non emergency line to the cops here so you can call and ask them yourself?
You’re the one making the ridiculous claims. The burden is on you to support them, not on me to disprove them.

Quote:
But since you mentioned it, a situation actually happened near here about a year ago but the story is even better. There was a nuisance, troubled druggie kid who was coming around here messing with/ransacking/vandalizing cars etc in my surrounding neighborhoods. We all used the Nextdoor app to do what we could to help and finally someone caught him and "cornered him with a shotgun" in the middle of the night while he was running AWAY I might add, and held the gun on him until the cops came. I remember seeing like 10 police cars because I was out late that night coming home, and my buddy who lives in the neighborhood it happens, it was his next door neighbor who did all this and caught the punk.

And listen to this....

.....The good Samaritan neighbor didn't get arrested nor was charged with anything. The idiot kid went to jail and there have been no problems since.
Cool story, bro. Cite the law.

Quote:
Again, what state do you live in???
How could that possibly be relevant to this discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living