Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 806,114 times

Advertisements

Wish I had known more about cliques & users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 07:12 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,016,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Wish I had known more about cliques & users.
Aren't those everywhere?

Old 10-09-2022, 12:28 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Aren't those everywhere?
in rural areas, the "good ol boys" network running everything and fewer people can make it more of a problem since they can be a larger percentage of the local population. People are people everywhere, but the old networks can be cliquey in some areas.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:47 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
in rural areas, the "good ol boys" network running everything and fewer people can make it more of a problem since they can be a larger percentage of the local population. People are people everywhere, but the old networks can be cliquey in some areas.
I agree where I live Ocala, Florida is very much as you described. Old network of generations of locals that run everything, then a big following of voters that think just like them. They think building more and more gas stations, car washes,Waffle House and Publix Grocery store locations, and lets not forget all the churches every half mile. They think that is the type of development that is only needed with a growing population. Instead of Medical Facilities, actual stores people can use and a actual road network to get from A to B. God forbid a bus line to go where all the retirees live, to help get them off the few major roads that are here. So yes good ol boy networks are a big part of living in the SE USA.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:32 PM

746 posts, read 496,045 times
1. No Mail Service. Every day we must drive into town.
2. Did not notice there are no street lights
3. Did not notice the home across the street is actually the water company. Too many cars driving in and out
4. Did not realize in such a tiny town people call the Cops all the time about stupid stuff. Someones old dog is loose, someone is not parking the correct way, etc.
5. Did not think about the gas prices skyrocketing and now paying $300 more a month for gasoline
6. Did not realize though everyone has AT&T, the company refuses to hook any new people up. Even if the home had AT&T in the past
so crappy Satellite was all that was available for a long time

Old 10-15-2022, 06:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree where I live Ocala, Florida is very much as you described. Old network of generations of locals that run everything, then a big following of voters that think just like them. They think building more and more gas stations, car washes,Waffle House and Publix Grocery store locations, and lets not forget all the churches every half mile. They think that is the type of development that is only needed with a growing population. Instead of Medical Facilities, actual stores people can use and a actual road network to get from A to B. God forbid a bus line to go where all the retirees live, to help get them off the few major roads that are here. So yes good ol boy networks are a big part of living in the SE USA.
You nailed it, Ocala was on the list of possible towns to move to Florida, but last year when driving around, I saw exactly what you describe. The one hospital I drove by looked run down. Ocala has incredibly gorgeous horse farms for the Uber wealthy, but for the rest, well…

Old 10-15-2022, 12:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
3. Did not notice the home across the street is actually the water company. Too many cars driving in and out
4. Did not realize in such a tiny town people call the Cops all the time about stupid stuff. Someones old dog is loose, someone is not parking the correct way, etc.
5. Did not think about the gas prices skyrocketing and now paying $300 more a month for gasoline
6. Did not realize though everyone has AT&T, the company refuses to hook any new people up. Even if the home had AT&T in the past
I'm actually hoping for no street lights. I'm specifically looking for a lot less light pollution.

#3 - google earth has eliminated a number of otherwise "looks perfect!" properties without having to visit

#4 - not what I'd expect in an established rural community! Were they calling the cops on you?

#5 - well, that's everywhere and #6 - ouch! Would not have expected that!

Old 10-15-2022, 01:11 PM

Hardly any service people in the nearby towns. Larger towns won't drive this far. Much goes un-done or finally completed by an amateur risking amateur results (plumber, electrician, painter, etc)

Old 10-15-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm actually hoping for no street lights. I'm specifically looking for a lot less light pollution.

#3 - google earth has eliminated a number of otherwise "looks perfect!" properties without having to visit

#4 - not what I'd expect in an established rural community! Were they calling the cops on you?

#5 - well, that's everywhere and #6 - ouch! Would not have expected that!
I can't be sure but got suspicious when a Cop drove by shortly after I pulled out.
He appeared looking for someone but we know the guy living right above where I parked, calls on everyone.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:17 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post

1. That's how I grew up, and it's also what I've dealt with for the last couple years on the private road I am renting on. IMO, not a huge deal. USPS's Informed Delivery tells me when I have something important coming in. I'm moving even more rural next year and will actually get mail at the house, so that is good.
2. No street lights is a good thing. I don't want to pay for them. Luckily they just came out with a feature on cars called headlights.
3. yeah that sucks. Should have come up while doing research about the property, but live and learn.
4. That doesn't sound rural at all. The town I'm moving to doesn't have a PD and is covered for emergencies by the state police-they won't waste their time on minor stuff.
5. Yeah we're all dealing with that. One of the disadvantages of living rural is you get a lot of windshield time just to satisfy the basic needs. Optimizing shopping trips is useful.
6. No Starlink available? That's what I'll have to get when I move next year as there is no broadband and the cell coverage isn't fast enough(12mbps on a speedtest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living