Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm kind of assuming fireworks will be less than here, but I know sound carries more in open areas so maybe not. Perhaps next year I should plan a July 4 visit to see how things look.

That political meltdown wasn't limited to rural areas. It's not going away. I actually found politics was less in my face while traveling last year than it is back home.

These are great, thank you!! Hunting is a concern. I'm not against it at all, but would like to be able to hike my property without worries.

We haven't had cable in years but I'm guessing antennas would be difficult rural as well? I do see a lot of satellite dishes when traveling.

Renting will be difficult with what we need to move but we wouldn't be full time for 5-10 more years anyway, so it may be possible short term. We've got a number of options to explore first. We rarely pick up the phone to hire anyone even where we are.
Yes, the over-air signal has to be reached from the nearest transmitter. The Seattle PBS station has one near their house, but the nearest for the networks is in Seattle, about 48 miles away, or Vancouver, BC, 83 miles away. We have a travel trailer with an amplified antenna and cannot get anything at all from their place. In fact Seattle am/fm radio is spotty at best, they get better reception from Vancouver because it's just water, no hills in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
When we settled here the town only had one store front retail business, and it was a gunsmith. A group of old men would meet there once a week for coffee. Once I figured that out, I began attending their weekly meeting. That was good for me. As then I was able to learn from their wisdom.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:05 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
I moved to a community of 400 when I got married. It was 5 acres and the community was transitioning from old hippies to incoming millionaires, due to the incredible scenery.

A huge, gorgeous cliff behind the whole community meant no cell phone coverage. Our well was marginal since we were on the edge of the aquifer. We were at the end of the electrical line so power was spotty sometimes but we were on solar anyway.

45 minutes from any services, so better not have a heart attack. 2 hours from major medical. A trip to "town" took all day since we went to a dozen places once a week. The drive was scary, drop-off roads to the river below, no guard-rails and lookie-lous being dangerous. Icy in winter, so I started to leave for the whole winter (seasonal job).

Noisy! Guns firing, roosters at 4 a.m., barking dogs non-stop, ATVs roaring around.

But I loved it. None of that was a deal-breaker to me. But I was younger too. I miss a lot about it, but its time has come and gone for us. I miss riding my horse in the redrock canyons and kayaking the river.

Just some things to think about. IMO, you have to be somewhat of a DIY person, as DH is, to make it work.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Sand&Salt reminded me of a couple of more things that my parents experienced. There were neighbors doing target practice at times, especially on weekend a lot of nearby gunshots. Then about a mile away there was a race track. It closed and was demolished in 2011, but for about 15 years on spring-fall weekends they had those sounds which were distant unless the wind came their way, and then it could be annoying.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:34 AM

6,578 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, the over-air signal has to be reached from the nearest transmitter. The Seattle PBS station has one near their house, but the nearest for the networks is in Seattle, about 48 miles away, or Vancouver, BC, 83 miles away. We have a travel trailer with an amplified antenna and cannot get anything at all from their place. In fact Seattle am/fm radio is spotty at best, they get better reception from Vancouver because it's just water, no hills in the way.
You reminded me, I always listen to music off my phone, never the radio. I can see where the mountains would be an issue for that and tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When we settled here the town only had one store front retail business, and it was a gunsmith. A group of old men would meet there once a week for coffee. Once I figured that out, I began attending their weekly meeting. That was good for me. As then I was able to learn from their wisdom.
I read your posts - seems like you've learned a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I moved to a community of 400 when I got married. It was 5 acres and the community was transitioning from old hippies to incoming millionaires, due to the incredible scenery.

A huge, gorgeous cliff behind the whole community meant no cell phone coverage. Our well was marginal since we were on the edge of the aquifer. We were at the end of the electrical line so power was spotty sometimes but we were on solar anyway.

45 minutes from any services, so better not have a heart attack. 2 hours from major medical. A trip to "town" took all day since we went to a dozen places once a week. The drive was scary, drop-off roads to the river below, no guard-rails and lookie-lous being dangerous. Icy in winter, so I started to leave for the whole winter (seasonal job).

Noisy! Guns firing, roosters at 4 a.m., barking dogs non-stop, ATVs roaring around.

But I loved it. None of that was a deal-breaker to me. But I was younger too. I miss a lot about it, but its time has come and gone for us. I miss riding my horse in the redrock canyons and kayaking the river.

Just some things to think about. IMO, you have to be somewhat of a DIY person, as DH is, to make it work.
Medical is definitely on my list to look at. We are both DIY

Quote:
Sand&Salt reminded me of a couple of more things that my parents experienced. There were neighbors doing target practice at times, especially on weekend a lot of nearby gunshots. Then about a mile away there was a race track. It closed and was demolished in 2011, but for about 15 years on spring-fall weekends they had those sounds which were distant unless the wind came their way, and then it could be annoying.
I used to love races but I can see where it is annoying for neighbors. For that matter, if the wind is right we can hear the local pool meets, screaming and horns all day long. But only a few a summer. Just interesting how sound carries.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Quote:
Yes, there is a race track a few miles from here, and every Saturday night, the sound carries just fine. The people across the field do a lot of target practice, but gunshots aren’t nearly as bad as hearing the target practice from nearby JBLM. The base is an hour north, but a portion of their land is only a few miles away. Those weapons they use are louder than any gun. A base or airport close by can get noisy, so check maps and get an idea of your topography. This is something I’ve regretted not doing.

One more thing to add, prisons and undesirable people often end up in the country. They have to go somewhere and they’re usually tucked away in the boonies. They recently put a level 3 sex offender house nearby. It was done quietly and quickly, and people weren’t happy when they found out. They likely chose this area because of the sparse population and keeping them away from the city. Most areas around here have alarms, dogs and cameras. Checking property crime in areas you like, is worth taking the time to do.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:33 PM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Regarding utilities...

In a lot of rural areas, you can't get cable or an OTC signal, and sat dish may be your only option for television.

You may or may not get a decent cell signal to make a phone call. Landlines are still popular out here.

High speed internet may or may not exist. Many people are stuck with DSL at 3.5 mbps. The fortunate can pay their cable company through the nose. The rare really fortunate have fiberoptic. The really desperate try satellite internet.

All these things depend not only on the geographic location but the immediate surrounding topography. Do NOT rely on a utility company's coverage map or assurances they can provide service. ASK the current residents what they can actually get.

Climate...make sure you factor in your new climate, not just the location. You mentioned you'd only visited the new location April - October. If it's a place that actually has winter, you'd dang well better make a visit in January or February before you move there.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:45 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Hi, WouldLoveTo ,
If the land your buying has forests, grass, hay, meadows, etc, anything flammable Don't shoot off any Fireworks, Please. They are very Dangerous, anywhere a Wildfire can start up. There can be loss of life for humans & animals.

Teach your family how to identify Poison Oak & Poison Ivy. You don't want to be rolling around in it, or fondling it.

Enjoy the Adventures & beautiful scenery, you will have living out in the country.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:49 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Hi, WouldLoveTo ,
If the land your buying has forests, grass, hay, meadows, etc, anything flammable Don't shoot off any Fireworks, Please. They are very Dangerous, anywhere a Wildfire can start up. There can be loss of life for humans & animals.
That goes double if you migrate to a region known for drought.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
We're looking to move to a rural area from an urban area, in a different state. Besides the obvious lack of conveniences right around the corner, what did you find after you moved that you wished you'd known prior to moving?

Trying to avoid that head-smack moment (like reading the thread where the west coast guy couldn't put a septic system on his northern New England land).

We will probably buy a property complete with house and outbuildings. We do not personally have wells and septic but we've looked at houses here with them.
I wish I had looked more into local politics and the puppy mill issues which I never thought of. Never knew this state had a puppy mill problem until I relocated to this area. The state, counties, and towns are well aware. They just don't care.

Why couldn't someone put a septic system in northern New England? Many people in New England have septic systems. They're not rare. Some states that's your only option outside of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living