Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 12:54 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Thank you for this thread. This rural living doesn't sound like much fun.
Some of us really enjoy rural living.

I have lived in cities before, we were never very comfortable with so much crime, dirt, violence, and the high Cost-Of-Living.

Quote:
... Too much work
I think it is mostly about convenience. If you live in a city with Municipal water treatment and pipes to every block, you can get 'clean' chemical treated water at your tap with no work, but to have that convenience you must pay for it. The same goes for sewage.

Quote:
... nasty neighbors
Neighbors are generally present everywhere you go.

If you live in a city with population-density of 10,000 people per square-mile, than you should count on having 10,000 neighbors living within a mile of your house.

Where I live there are roughly 6 people living within a mile of my house.

Some neighbors are good people, some are otherwise.

I think that my luck is better to have good neighbors seeing that there are only 6 of them within a mile of my house, as compared to anyone with 10,000 neighbors living within a mile of their city home.

Quote:
... shooting guns
Where I live now, when I hear a gun shot, it is usually either someone practicing, sighting in a new scope, testing their reloads, or hunting.

The last time I lived in a city, when we heard gun shots it was usually a homicide or an attempted homicide.

Quote:
... Mountain lions and airplanes and bears, oh my!
I enjoy seeing wildlife.

Quote:
... No Uber Eats or Door Dash, how do you survive?
It has never occurred to me to think of Uber Eat, Door Dash, Grub Hub, Seamless, Chow Now, etc, as 'survival food'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 01:12 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Thank you for this thread. This rural living doesn't sound like much fun.
Agree with Submariner, above, on every point.
I wouldn't live anywhere else!

Old 07-02-2022, 01:20 PM

204 posts, read 134,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Good stuff here! The stories I hear from my horse friends and "visitors"
Yeigh.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:28 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Finding good, reliable farm sitting/pet sitting/livestock sitting can be hard. It's also expensive.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:19 PM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some of us really enjoy rural living.

I have lived in cities before, we were never very comfortable with so much crime, dirt, violence, and the high Cost-Of-Living.

You have to pick your poison. I spent all morning spraying tick repellent all around. But I'd rather live with trees than pavement.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
... I read your posts - seems like you've learned a lot!
Within the first few years that we lived here, one day I spotted a fox running through the midst of our chickens. I grabbed a shotgun and began chasing him. I briefly spotted the fox crossing the road into the woods, I knew if he continued in that direction in another 100-yards is an open pasture, maybe I could get a clear shot at him when he crosses the pasture. On the far side of that open pasture is the gunsmith shop. When I reached the pasture, I saw that on the far side of the pasture was a group of men carrying rifles all with price tags on them.

I was focused on shooting the fox, but what I had not noticed was in my pursuit a neighbor had drove by and he saw what I was doing, so he stopped at the gun shop and he told them, that I was chasing a fox and headed toward them. The gunsmith had everyone grab a rifle off the rack and a handful of ammo, and they all came out to assist me.

That was how and when I first met the gun shop guys.

Old 07-03-2022, 12:02 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
And never buy a house on the north side of a hill. It will be darker, colder, and snowier all winter than a place on the other side of the hill.
Unless you're in the desert, where the north side gives you more comfortable summers.
My house is on the south side of the hill...

Old 07-03-2022, 12:30 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
I'm used to hearing gunshots now, but when I moved rural from SoCal, the first time I heard it, I thought, "omg, another drive-by!"

Old 07-03-2022, 07:33 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (948) is a favorite movie, city newbies build a country home, troubles are many. You really need to be an expert in so many different areas when building a home in the "country." Maybe best to buy a place with functional home already there and work on fencing areas for garden after determining if your nearest neighbors like to fire guns in that direction.

Florida, where we lived 20+ years, allows backyard shooting ranges in average lot size neighborhoods.

You also can't depend that zoning won't be changed to allow bad neighbors like hog farms or commercial enterprises that decrease both your property value and your happiness level. We read about that often living in Florida, a phosphate mine was allowed right next to a fairly large, nice homed HOA there. Mining people won that fight.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
... Florida, where we lived 20+ years, allows backyard shooting ranges in average lot size neighborhoods.
It had not occurred to me that anyone would try to prevent you from having a shooting range in your own backyard. So long as you construct a proper backstop.

Quote:
... You also can't depend that zoning won't be changed to allow bad neighbors like hog farms or commercial enterprises that decrease both your property value and your happiness level. We read about that often living in Florida, a phosphate mine was allowed right next to a fairly large, nice homed HOA there. Mining people won that fight.
A few years ago, a NJ mobster shell company [Casella] came up here, they wanted to build a Municipal Waste incinerator and landfill on a parcel adjacent to my farm. My property has the only legal easement to access that parcel.

Quebec and Mass both export huge quantity of waste and the shell company makes money from hauling it to other states for landfills to pollute various rivers. The site of this proposed landfill is a peat bog that drains into our river.

We had a bunch of town meetings, and public hearings with various state agencies. A couple of my neighbors testified that they had migrated here to live out their old age and to die here. They have lots of ammo on hand, and it would not upset them in the least to expend all their ammo targeting NJ mobsters as they die.

I went on radio and TV begging people to stay calm and be careful that no bystanders by harmed, only target the NJ folks intent to kill us and poison our water.

Eventually the state agency refused to give them a permit. But only after the local Native Tribe leaders committed their tribe to join the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living