Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,170 times

Advertisements

Hey, Kitty:

If you're talking about 5ac in the Tehachapi area, please tell me what area it is in so I can try to help you out a little. There are some areas around town (the Tehachapi Valley, Tehachapi Mtns) that have reputations where the following are concerned: septic systems no-go, well drilling no-go, etc.

Just judging from the description in your post I'm guessing that the property is in Sand Canyon. If that is the case, here are some things I can tell you about the area:

- The water out there is scarce. The shared well and private wells go dry on a somewhat regular basis.

- $~1k/100ft to run electricity

- There is a very, VERY new volunteer-only fire.... I can't even call it a department. It's really a big mess. They just had a truck donated to them from Cal City (down the road). Fire danger is HIGH in that area... Nothing to mess with, especially since there's no water.

- Septic systems out there tend to have some trouble because there's a lot of clay in the soil.

- Roads are dirt (lots of clay, very slippery) out beyond where power is run to, and not well maintained.

- The POA (Property Owners Association) out there has gone to pot. No accountabilty for funds, expenditures, etc.

I love Sand Canyon, and I always wanted to live out there. It is one of my very favorite areas around Tehachapi. But, for the reasons above, I never have.

If I missed the mark, and this 5ac you're referring to is in one of the other little communities surrounding Tehachapi, where is it? I'll do my best to save you a lot of time and trouble by giving you the lowdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM

Kitty, here's the link to the City of Tehachapi website. There should be some helpful links for you there.

Tehachapi City Hall - Official Website

Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 AM

As far as local drillers go, the Hearns have been in the area for a long time and do good work. I grew up with all of the Hearn boys, and they're good folks. They drilled my folks' well, and two of my Granny's. Never any problem, and as I said, they're good people.

Septic systems, I recommend calling Steve Roemer. The family business is called Roemer Septic, or Roemer... something or other. There's only one Roemer family in town, so you won't miss them.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Before hiring ANY driller, go to the health department. Fill out a FOI paper. Look in the file. Do this in neighboring counties also. Ask then for a reference on a job that they had to go back on.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Hey, Kitty:

If you're talking about 5ac in the Tehachapi area, please tell me what area it is in so I can try to help you out a little. There are some areas around town (the Tehachapi Valley, Tehachapi Mtns) that have reputations where the following are concerned: septic systems no-go, well drilling no-go, etc.

Just judging from the description in your post I'm guessing that the property is in Sand Canyon. If that is the case, here are some things I can tell you about the area:

- The water out there is scarce. The shared well and private wells go dry on a somewhat regular basis.

- $~1k/100ft to run electricity

- There is a very, VERY new volunteer-only fire.... I can't even call it a department. It's really a big mess. They just had a truck donated to them from Cal City (down the road). Fire danger is HIGH in that area... Nothing to mess with, especially since there's no water.

- Septic systems out there tend to have some trouble because there's a lot of clay in the soil.

- Roads are dirt (lots of clay, very slippery) out beyond where power is run to, and not well maintained.

- The POA (Property Owners Association) out there has gone to pot. No accountability for funds, expenditures, etc.

I love Sand Canyon, and I always wanted to live out there. It is one of my very favorite areas around Tehachapi. But, for the reasons above, I never have.

If I missed the mark, and this 5ac you're referring to is in one of the other little communities surrounding Tehachapi, where is it? I'll do my best to save you a lot of time and trouble by giving you the lowdown.
Because of the old age of Kitty's original post, I would imagine that she has moved on by now. However, I would like to update my own post for accuracy, as some things have changed since then.
  • The Sand Canyon POA has rebuilt itself and is now well organized and being run by some good people
  • The Sand Canyon Volunteer Fire Department has also gone through a major overhaul and is now a solid organization with good leadership and response
  • The new POA has paved many of the troublesome roads, improving ingress and egress
Those things being said / updated, the remainder of my post still stands: poor water availability, bad wells, shared wells (not a good idea, as another poster pointed out), many lots have no power and cost is >$1k/100-ft to run power out there, septic systems can be problematic, but Steve Roemer can do a perc test to determine if a system is viable...

Again, for drilling wells I still highly recommend the Hearn boys, for septic highly I recommend Steve Roemer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living