U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 PM

175 posts, read 1,354,846 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody! I am a 'city' girl looking to move to a rural, country part of California. There is a 5-acre plot of wooded land for sale that I'm interested in. I want to see about the costs of dropping in electric, putting in a septic system, and possibly drilling a well. Supposedly there is a 'shared' well, and "electric is nearby". This is a remote neighborhood where everybody has a house on a 5 acre lot. I want to have a modular home built. I know there are a million little things besides the three 'biggies' (above), like driveway, permits, foundation, etc. I've been investigating the three 'biggies', but here's my question (yes, I do have a question!) Who is the best person to call in the first place, to give me a rough estimate of how much $$ all this stuff is going to cost me? Should I call a contractor? A local builder? A planner? I have no idea about this kind of stuff.... Is there someone who's job it is to gather this information, look at the property and tell me what I need to do next, to find out costs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,064,620 times
Never share a well. Just a nightmare waiting to happen. Do not let the modular company hire the contractors for your site improvements! Well and septic.

Talk to your local heath department first. They will come out and help to make some decisions as were to put things.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,965,315 times
Gotta agree with Driller1.

Health Dept first.
Zoning or building dept next.
Electric company third.
Septic contractors next.
Well driller, foundation contractors next.
Ask each contractor what permits are required.

In California, I'll bet your septic costs will be the big expense.
Depending on location, water rights might also be an issue.

My gut feeling is that you may be looking at over $50K in land prep costs.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:27 AM

7,635 posts, read 15,823,448 times
Wander on down to the assessor's office and look at the plats for info on right-of-way and easements. If you are working with a realtor, he/she should have that info, but check it for yourself. Nothing quite like finding that a property that front a road has no legal access to the private road (as my neighbor over the hill found out after she bought the property).

You might also check to see if there are any CCRs on the property.

If you have an idea of the modular home you want, check with that company and see if they have any builder/contractor references for that area.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Wander on down to the assessor's office and look at the plats for info on right-of-way and easements. If you are working with a realtor, he/she should have that info, but check it for yourself. Nothing quite like finding that a property that front a road has no legal access to the private road (as my neighbor over the hill found out after she bought the property).

You might also check to see if there are any CCRs on the property.

If you have an idea of the modular home you want, check with that company and see if they have any builder/contractor references for that area.
Not drilling contractors! Each spring I would get calls from modular/mobile companies offering to hire or refer me to customers. For a kick back. $500 a job was the last I heard. The drillers that do this type thing use substandard material to make up the difference, then they will not stand behind their work. They stopped calling when I told them I did not need a pimp. I have also known of realtors to do this.
Go to your heath department, talk to them, get a few contractor in mind then fill out a FOI form and look in their files. Ask the contractors for references from jobs they had to go back on, we all have them, believe me!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Also beware of "package deals"!!! They are making this money up somewhere.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:05 PM

7,635 posts, read 15,823,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Not drilling contractors! Each spring I would get calls from modular/mobile companies offering to hire or refer me to customers. For a kick back. $500 a job was the last I heard. The drillers that do this type thing use substandard material to make up the difference, then they will not stand behind their work. They stopped calling when I told them I did not need a pimp. I have also known of realtors to do this.
Go to your heath department, talk to them, get a few contractor in mind then fill out a FOI form and look in their files. Ask the contractors for references from jobs they had to go back on, we all have them, believe me!
In my area this was an easy choice - I went and pulled the well logs (which are on-line) and the same driller kept coming up, over and over and over. So, let's see, go with the guy who does probably 75% of the work out here, and has done so for about 40 years, knows the area "well," or go with someone else? Mmmmm, easy choice.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
In my area this was an easy choice - I went and pulled the well logs (which are on-line) and the same driller kept coming up, over and over and over. So, let's see, go with the guy who does probably 75% of the work out here, and has done so for about 40 years, knows the area "well," or go with someone else? Mmmmm, easy choice.
In Michigan the old logs are on line however, the ones entered from 1989 forward are only assessable with a DEQ account.
Hey, if it worked for you, great! I would caution anyone hiring a contractor that old, "where is your warranty if he quits or dies"????

Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM

175 posts, read 1,354,846 times
Thanks everybody! I sincerely mean that....I know when I come here that I will find the experts that have the answers I need! (that means you guys...thanks so much for your help

Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Thanks everybody! I sincerely mean that....I know when I come here that I will find the experts that have the answers I need! (that means you guys...thanks so much for your help
Best of luck!!!!! Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living