Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,222,327 times

Advertisements

Check with your county heath department. They can give you lots of information on wells in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM

955 posts, read 2,152,069 times
Default Fuel Assistance

With acreage that is currently used growing hay to sell to livestock producers, what kinds of fuel assistance might be available to me? Can I purchase fuel cheaper? Can this be gas or diesel? How do I find out more? Are there any restrictions? Property is zoned rural residential.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
With acreage that is currently used growing hay to sell to livestock producers, what kinds of fuel assistance might be available to me? Can I purchase fuel cheaper? Can this be gas or diesel? How do I find out more? Are there any restrictions? Property is zoned rural residential.
I write-off all my gas and diesel. As far as the original purchase price, off road diesel is less because they do not charge road tax. Have a 1500 gallon tank. I am not sure if you can do this with gas. My hubby will not let me store large amounts. He says I would blow-up 1/2 the county. LOL

Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,136,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post

Great question!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Call the companies that deliver fuel. They should know. Also the county extension office should have information.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:23 AM

23,541 posts, read 69,994,387 times
"Some areas of the nation have a carrying capacity of 1 head of cattle per 40 acres [meaning that it takes 40 acres to sustainably produce enough calories to maintain one beef animal].

Other areas of the nation have a carrying capacity of 20 head of cattle per acre."

I think you meant to say 2 head of cattle, unless you were talking about teenie weenie cattle. An acre is 640' x 640' and might support a cow and her calf during the summer months, with a bit of added rations. 20 head per acre is a feedlot.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM

37,263 posts, read 61,014,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Some areas of the nation have a carrying capacity of 1 head of cattle per 40 acres [meaning that it takes 40 acres to sustainably produce enough calories to maintain one beef animal].

Other areas of the nation have a carrying capacity of 20 head of cattle per acre."

I think you meant to say 2 head of cattle, unless you were talking about teenie weenie cattle. An acre is 640' x 640' and might support a cow and her calf during the summer months, with a bit of added rations. 20 head per acre is a feedlot.

Okay fine.

I recalled in college them talking about how the average BLM land that is rented to cattlemen, is rated at 40 acres per head.

Looking up now it appears that about the best is 4 head per acre.

So a range of: 1 head per 40 acres, to 4 head per acre.

Happy?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 PM

23,541 posts, read 69,994,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay fine.

I recalled in college them talking about how the average BLM land that is rented to cattlemen, is rated at 40 acres per head.

Looking up now it appears that about the best is 4 head per acre.

So a range of: 1 head per 40 acres, to 4 head per acre.

Happy?
Nope. I'd love to be able to have that many cows per acre. But your revised range makes more sense. Just keeping the figures honest. What they teach in college ain't always real life.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:54 PM

37,263 posts, read 61,014,574 times
On irrigated pasture in California my father was generally able to raise 80 wiener calves to feed-lot size on 5 acres of pasture. He would sell all but five steers in the fall, and keep those on the pasture through the winter. Then butcher those five steers in time to give the pasture one month before putting the next batch of calves on it.

He worked as a construction electrician, his primary endeavour on his land was farming almond orchards. Both his own and via share-cropping. Ranching wiener calves was a side-line for him.

He will not attempt to grow nut trees in Missouri.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,136,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
On irrigated pasture in California my father was generally able to raise 80 wiener calves to feed-lot size on 5 acres of pasture. He would sell all but five steers in the fall, and keep those on the pasture through the winter. Then butcher those five steers in time to give the pasture one month before putting the next batch of calves on it.

He worked as a construction electrician, his primary endeavour on his land was farming almond orchards. Both his own and via share-cropping. Ranching wiener calves was a side-line for him.

He will not attempt to grow nut trees in Missouri.
Wow, that's alot of calves on a five acre pasture. Did he practice rotational grazing...letting one section of pasture get grazed down, then moving them on to the next? That grass must have been growing like crazy to keep up with the demands of all those calves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living