Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:52 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

50 years ago Sears and other retailers had mostly Made in America products too. Products that kept workers here in our country supplying the needs to other Americans either by making them or selling them. You can't compare Sears to WM they have been around our country for many years starting as a catalog company that met the needs for folks that didn't have the luxuries of a store on every corner around them.

You are correct in saying what WM is doing the other big chain stores are just as guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
50 years ago Sears and other retailers had mostly Made in America products too. Products that kept workers here in our country supplying the needs to other Americans either by making them or selling them. You can't compare Sears to WM they have been around our country for many years starting as a catalog company that met the needs for folks that didn't have the luxuries of a store on every corner around them.

You are correct in saying what WM is doing the other big chain stores are just as guilty.

Are you saying that Wal-Mart is the reason that manufacturers went overseas? Because there were multiple factors that impacted the decision to move production off-shore. Labor costs in the US, expanding markets worldwide, less regulation off-shore all contributed. Sears, Target, K-Mart all fill their shelves with internationally manufactured product. The twist that Wal-Mart added was that Sam Walton realized that buying in quantity the way Sears and K-Mart had been doing gave big retailers leverage. He decided to use that leverage.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:36 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
No I am not saying that WM is the reason manufactures went oversees. I am not saying WM is the reason our economy is failing. I am not saying there are not cheaper prices at WM. I am not saying because most of WM workers are at or just below poverty level that they are the only drain on local enconomies for food stamps and Medicaid.

Here is what I am saying they have gotten to big for their britches and other retailers have followed suit. Sam Walton had an excellent idea but he is dead and his greedy family are running things now losing focus of what Sam had in mind.

I am not here to argue with you since you seem to want to do that with any poster on this thread. So I am done. Have a great day!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Are you saying that Wal-Mart is the reason that manufacturers went overseas? Because there were multiple factors that impacted the decision to move production off-shore. Labor costs in the US, expanding markets worldwide, less regulation off-shore all contributed. Sears, Target, K-Mart all fill their shelves with internationally manufactured product. The twist that Wal-Mart added was that Sam Walton realized that buying in quantity the way Sears and K-Mart had been doing gave big retailers leverage. He decided to use that leverage.
Sure, I'll say it: Wal-Mart led the charge of companies going overseas in the consumer goods sector. In fact, they insisted on it, as part of supplier contracts, for the lowest prices.

Even Sam Walton eventually backed off of that policy, which was that nothing but final price mattered.

An example: Snapper (maker of lawn care products) turned down a contract with Wal-Mart for that very reason.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 11-14-2008 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Sure, I'll say it: Wal-Mart led the charge of companies going overseas in the consumer goods sector. In fact, they insisted on it, as part of supplier contracts, for the lowest prices.

Even Sam Walton eventually backed off of that policy, which was that nothing but final price mattered.
Wal-Mart did NOT insist on companies going overseas. You've been sadly misinformed.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
No I am not saying that WM is the reason manufactures went oversees. I am not saying WM is the reason our economy is failing. I am not saying there are not cheaper prices at WM. I am not saying because most of WM workers are at or just below poverty level that they are the only drain on local enconomies for food stamps and Medicaid.

Here is what I am saying they have gotten to big for their britches and other retailers have followed suit. Sam Walton had an excellent idea but he is dead and his greedy family are running things now losing focus of what Sam had in mind.

I am not here to argue with you since you seem to want to do that with any poster on this thread. So I am done. Have a great day!
I wouldn't argue except there is so much misinformation. Example: "his greedy family are running things now." Which greedy family members would that be?

Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart did NOT insist on companies going overseas. You've been sadly misinformed.
They told Huffy to close their Ohio plant and make their bikes in China!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Span the political spectrum? What, the book by the Iowa professor who makes a hefty income consulting with small business owners who are scared of a Wal-Mart moving into their area? Or the plethora of propaganda paid for by unions who are trying to exert political pressure on Wal-Mart?

You've got studies on one hand by people who are deeply committed to "Wal-Mart is BAD" party, and studies on the other hand paid for by Wal-Mart.

OK I'll bite. And why do you suppose that is? Some people just got lots of free time??

Sure, I can get you info from various sources ranging from the Institute of International Economics, The British Food Journal, Forbes, Fast Company, The Economist,Multinational Monitor,Los Angeles Business Journal,Wall Street Journal, etc....

There is NO unbiased information out there, but it's sure nice to know where your biases stand.

Well, duh. No need to be so condescending. Some of us actually get paid to know this stuff. I'm not sure why you are so over the top about this, as if you are some kind of authority. If so, then please shed some light on your career.

For many people in rural America, Wal-Mart has been a tremendous boon. People actually get to pay competitive prices for goods. People actually get a selection of products. I live in a town with one grocery store and no Wal-Mart.

Please feel free to back this bully point of yours with actual facts.

The damning statements people make about Wal-Mart could be made about every other retailer out there.

yes and no. It is not all that black and white. Perhaps you should see the U.S. Census Bureau's Census of Distribution in 1929 and Census of Business in subsequent years for the statistics on the market share of chain stores.

You've worked for the past four years, and you are all over Wal-Mart.

I'm merely responding to the OP that aimed at WalMart. Sure Walmart is also a lightening rod by virtue of the fact that they are the 'world's largest retailer'

Fifty years ago, you would have had the same problems with Sears.

um, no. sears is not a general merchandise retailer like WalMart ,Target or KMart. Also, known in the biz as 'category killers' You are mistaken Sears is not.

Only the unions weren't busy attacking Sears, so you wouldn't have had the same ammunition.

You think it's just a union issue, you do need to do your research.

It amazes me that people cannot grasp that a Wal-Mart in an urban center will have a different cost/benefit breakdown to a Wal-Mart in a rural area.
Oh please enlighten me.

It amazes me that people cannot see that the footprint of a Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Target or Wal-Mart are generally the same.

HD store avg. as of 2006 130,000 sq. ft. WalMart Supercenter avg. as of 2006 220,000 sq feet. is that what you mean by 'generally the same'? Don't forget the minimum 15 acres of parking lot to go with that 220,000.

It amazes me that people think that Ike's General Store is such an awesome place to shop. It's quaint and charming at first. Then it just plain wears you down. High prices, limited selection, product that's been on the shelves for years, poorly lit, but it's always nice to have a chat with Ike.

Who's Ike?
My apologies for 'bold-ness' within your quote but I just couldn't figure a better way to do it on this site.
A few extra questions: Are you a stockholder? Have you tried decaf?

Last edited by bellalunatic; 11-15-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
My apologies for 'bold-ness' within your quote but I just couldn't figure a better way to do it on this site.
A few extra questions: Are you a stockholder? Have you tried decaf?
Not a stockholder. Don't drink coffee.

Just someone who really doesn't like paying $1.72 for a two-liter bottle of pop when that same bottle is $.98 at Wal-Mart. Or $5.04 for a box of Cheerios when that same box is $3.86 at Wal-Mart. I like to make lasagne with ricotta cheese, but the ONE grocery store in town only carries cottage cheese, at an outrageous price. I love pomegranates this time of year, but the ONE grocery store in town doesn't carry them.

We don't have any dress shops in my home town. No place to buy a new pair of jeans. No place to buy children's clothes. (Except for the consignment store for used clothes.) No place for arts & crafts things. No place to buy a bike. No bookstores, no gift shops, no yarn stores or places to buy fabric. No place to buy stationery (You can get birthday cards at the grocery, but they're so old some of them are Hallmarks at 25 cents apiece). The hardware store sells lawn mowers, but only one brand. They close at 5pm during the week, so running in after work to pick up screws or cable or fencing stuff is impossible. And on Saturday they close at noon.

Wal-Mart didn't start out selling all the things they sell today. Sam Walton saw that rural people had incredibly limited selection, and many still do today. And they paid exorbitant prices for what was available. Walton addressed those issues, and was successful as a result. And as he saw more opportunities to give people more selection at lower prices, he acted on those opportunities and grew more successful.

I don't do all my shopping at Wal-Mart, and I don't agree with all of Wal-Mart's policies. But I won't damn a company for paying wages similar to what other companies in it's classification pay. I won't damn a company for keeping prices down and for being profitable to their stockholders. Wal-Mart may not be a gem of a retailer, but it's aware of its shortcomings and working on those problems. It's made improvements in its benefits program, it has strived to become a greener, more environmentally responsible company. It has brought more women on board in management and executive positions. It still has its share of problems, but when I've needed something at 3 am, and Wal-Mart's open and carries what I need, I've appreciated it. When my budget is tight, I've appreciated being able to shop at one store, get what I need at low prices, and not waste time and money driving all over. When I wanted Nutella for a Christmas goody recipe, I've appreciated that Wal-Mart carries it, because the grocery in my hometown doesn't, just like they don't carry any good vanilla, or Wondra flour, or almond oil.

Wal-Mart is a business, it's not good or bad, evil or saintly. I can only assess Wal-Mart on the basis of whether it's been good or bad for me. And overall, it's made my life better. It may not do that for someone who lives in New York or Chicago or Los Angeles. Having a choice of stores isn't a problem for people who live in urban centers. The availability of Gruyere cheese isn't an issue. For millions of people who live in rural areas, actually having a selection and having that selection be reasonably priced is something to be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:03 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Quote:
Not a stockholder. Don't drink coffee.

Just someone who really doesn't like paying $1.72 for a two-liter bottle of pop when that same bottle is $.98 at Wal-Mart. Or $5.04 for a box of Cheerios when that same box is $3.86 at Wal-Mart. I like to make lasagne with ricotta cheese, but the ONE grocery store in town only carries cottage cheese, at an outrageous price. I love pomegranates this time of year, but the ONE grocery store in town doesn't carry them.

We don't have any dress shops in my home town. No place to buy a new pair of jeans. No place to buy children's clothes. (Except for the consignment store for used clothes.) No place for arts & crafts things. No place to buy a bike. No bookstores, no gift shops, no yarn stores or places to buy fabric. No place to buy stationery (You can get birthday cards at the grocery, but they're so old some of them are Hallmarks at 25 cents apiece). The hardware store sells lawn mowers, but only one brand. They close at 5pm during the week, so running in after work to pick up screws or cable or fencing stuff is impossible. And on Saturday they close at noon.

Wal-Mart didn't start out selling all the things they sell today. Sam Walton saw that rural people had incredibly limited selection, and many still do today. And they paid exorbitant prices for what was available. Walton addressed those issues, and was successful as a result. And as he saw more opportunities to give people more selection at lower prices, he acted on those opportunities and grew more successful.

I don't do all my shopping at Wal-Mart, and I don't agree with all of Wal-Mart's policies. But I won't damn a company for paying wages similar to what other companies in it's classification pay. I won't damn a company for keeping prices down and for being profitable to their stockholders. Wal-Mart may not be a gem of a retailer, but it's aware of its shortcomings and working on those problems. It's made improvements in its benefits program, it has strived to become a greener, more environmentally responsible company. It has brought more women on board in management and executive positions. It still has its share of problems, but when I've needed something at 3 am, and Wal-Mart's open and carries what I need, I've appreciated it. When my budget is tight, I've appreciated being able to shop at one store, get what I need at low prices, and not waste time and money driving all over. When I wanted Nutella for a Christmas goody recipe, I've appreciated that Wal-Mart carries it, because the grocery in my hometown doesn't, just like they don't carry any good vanilla, or Wondra flour, or almond oil.

Wal-Mart is a business, it's not good or bad, evil or saintly. I can only assess Wal-Mart on the basis of whether it's been good or bad for me. And overall, it's made my life better. It may not do that for someone who lives in New York or Chicago or Los Angeles. Having a choice of stores isn't a problem for people who live in urban centers. The availability of Gruyere cheese isn't an issue. For millions of people who live in rural areas, actually having a selection and having that selection be reasonably priced is something to be appreciated.
Very very well said!

Walmart is a business like any other store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living