Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times

Advertisements

I bought a Kubota BX23 a couple of years ago and sometimes I find that I'm pushing it a little too hard or asking more than it was designed for.

I'm interested to hear your experiences with small, say under 25 hp estate tractors... both good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,101,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I bought a Kubota BX23 a couple of years ago and sometimes I find that I'm pushing it a little too hard or asking more than it was designed for.

I'm interested to hear your experiences with small, say under 25 hp estate tractors... both good and bad.
I own a John Deere tractor with a twin cylinder under 25 hp engine It will haul, cut, push and drag without even breathing hard.

Ya gotta buy the old green and yellow if you want quality and you want it to last.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM

49 posts, read 172,662 times
I got something to say about the green and yellow...

I own a 4502 and only have 132 hours on it, I raised my brush hog up and could not set it back down. I called JD and they walked me through troubleshooting the problem and it ended up being a rock control valve. It's a non servicable part and JD will not replace it or even talk to me about helping out on the $1000 part. When this part went out I was 2 months past the 2 year warranty. So i'm not happy with JD.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM

620 posts, read 2,047,169 times
The JD stuff can last a lifetime if you maintain it properly, but I agree that the cost of replacement parts is often quite steep. That gets old. I can see why someone would look at another brand costwise, but if you plan on having it for a while, I say go with the JD.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
The JD stuff can last a lifetime if you maintain it properly, but I agree that the cost of replacement parts is often quite steep. That gets old. I can see why someone would look at another brand costwise, but if you plan on having it for a while, I say go with the JD.
Agreed! I live in an area almost totally inhabited by farmers and everyone owns JD equipment. These folks use this equipment to maintain their livlihood so they must know something that the average consumer doesn't. You will still see a few Farmall tractors out there but I have yet to see a Japanese or other import.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM

33 posts, read 173,243 times
I'm in WNC and own a New Holland TC 30 and all that I would do differently is have gotten a hydrostat.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:16 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Default John Deere Dealers too busy?

My first thought was also John Deere. Unfortunately, my county no longer has John Deere, New Holland or Kubota Dealers.

I visited two JD dealers in the next county. One was much too busy to talk and told me to leave my name and number with the receptionist and I would get a call next month after Harvest Time.

The other was also very busy and said that I would need to know exactly what model I wanted and they would order it as they do not carry "Home Owner" tractors in stock.

The New Holland Dealer had a lot of tractors, but, I just didn't find what I was looking for... by the way, that dealer of 60 years is now gone also. I too was leaning towards Hydrostatic and he had lots of gear units.

Kubota had inventory on hand, was a little busy with Harvest Time... told me to take a look around and the owner would be out to answer any questions I might have... I ended going back to Kubota and told him the model I had decided on and what my budget would allow... and that is why I now have Kubota...

Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My first thought was also John Deere. Unfortunately, my county no longer has John Deere, New Holland or Kubota Dealers.

I visited two JD dealers in the next county. One was much too busy to talk and told me to leave my name and number with the receptionist and I would get a call next month after Harvest Time.

The other was also very busy and said that I would need to know exactly what model I wanted and they would order it as they do not carry "Home Owner" tractors in stock.

The New Holland Dealer had a lot of tractors, but, I just didn't find what I was looking for... by the way, that dealer of 60 years is now gone also. I too was leaning towards Hydrostatic and he had lots of gear units.

Kubota had inventory on hand, was a little busy with Harvest Time... told me to take a look around and the owner would be out to answer any questions I might have... I ended going back to Kubota and told him the model I had decided on and what my budget would allow... and that is why I now have Kubota...
The JD dealers were too busy????? Wow, can anyone's business be that good so as to make them that independent? Too bad you had such a tough time as JD does have some good hydrostatic transmissions...but from what I have seen locally the Kubota dealers are picking up...as is Husqvarna.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
Boy, I sure hauled a lot of Kubota loads to their Columbus, OH warehouse...

Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
I like JD, but for this area most of the farmers are going either New Holland, or anything other than JD when they have get another tractor. The JD dealer for the entire area is somewhat hard to deal with. (polite way of saying he is a jackass and service is shoddy at best.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living