Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedup View Post
hi i live in island co. wa. we share a well with the people next door they havent paid the power bill in 2.5 years what can i do to make them pay there share
Island County WA... How much is their share of the well power bill at $0.04/KWH? $10 / yr ?

1) You need to have a RECORDEDwell agreement that lays out all the conditions. (and legal remedies)
2) have a separate meter on the well (if you MUST or are OCD)(~$60 for a meter)
3) Take care of your relationships
4) take care of your well
5) Have separate shut offs for each user.

I'm glad I have decent neighbors.

I still have 4 properties on shared wells.

No horror stories (yet). 34 yrs and counting

Any day now the sky will fall.

I'm watching!

and REALLY worried... (From 11,000 miles away)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I did not know there was such a thing. I assume there are some weird regional regulations that preclude a separate well for each property? We had a well (our own) for many years and ample water. I guess if there is no shortage, this arrangement could work, but if there is, how can you monitor the water use of others?
I wouldn't want this kind of set up, unless I had no choice.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wow, horror stories...

I have had 6 places with shared wells, only one time was a problem and I put a QUICK fix to THAT,

Electric bill was not paid by 'owner', so I ran my own power to the well. ~$200 vs $20,000.

I have very specific well agreements that are filed against the deed of the property.

I don't doubt there are lots of horror stories, but there doesn't have to be...

I currently have a few props on shared well. I haven't seen a decrease in valuation, or ever ran low on water, and when there is a $6,000 expense for new pipe and pump every 30 yrs, we split it.
Your water pumps last for 30 YEARS!!!!!

While severing multiple homes.....please share the brand and model number.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Island County WA... How much is their share of the well power bill at $0.04/KWH? $10 / yr ?

1) You need to have a RECORDEDwell agreement that lays out all the conditions. (and legal remedies)

I'm watching!

How to you "care for your well"????

Now you have good neighbors......all it will take is for one to move.....and a "not so good" neighbor to move in.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Personally, I would never share anything.....just sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:

I'm watching!

I see you changed your post.....you removed the part about your water pump lasting 30 years.

Why???

You have a brand and model that lasts three times the national average.

Why wouldn't you share the information???

And why won't you post how to "care for" a well.......I have drilled over 500....and I do not know.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,692 times
My husband and his 2 sisters has inherited all most 40 acres. We are having the land survey. But one sister wants control of the well water which is a big mistake. The well has 5 trailer houses on it. Can we put the well on community where one person isn't control of the well?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
You should probably put your question in its own thread. More people will see it.

Also, water laws are extremely variable across the states so you should also mention the state where this property is located.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
I would never buy a home with a shared well, and have passed on a few really nice (otherwise) homes that had them. I once rented a tiny house that had a shared well with the landlord's house plus 2 others. In addition, the well was underneath MY house. Everytime the landlord's grandkids visited for the weekend, I was treated to hours of listening to the well pump running from multiple showers and laundry loads. In addition, the landlord divided the bill 4 ways, even though he and the other tenants all had multi-person families, and I was the only single person tenant.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Many years ago, we rented with option to buy a place with a shared well. We were advised that neither VA nor FHA would approve a loan on a place with a shared well.
Perhaps that has changed, I don't know. We have our own well, and I would not have it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living