Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

Heck. Haven't these people heard of invisible fencing. Best stuff on the planet. Our dog knew exactly where the boundaries were, but could roam around the yard with no problem. Much better than a chain, but still ensuring the safety of the dog and passersby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Invisible fencing, if you can afford it, is an excellent solution. However, it would not solve the OP's problem, which is fear of dogs that are barking at her from their own yards.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Invisible fencing, if you can afford it, is an excellent solution. However, it would not solve the OP's problem, which is fear of dogs that are barking at her from their own yards.
I need to correct you on this. I do not have a fear of dogs who are barking from their own yards.

I HAVE BEEN CHARGED and cornered by a dog that was barking from its own yard and then RAN OUT INTO THE STREET. So, how am I supposed to know which dogs who are viciously barking at me are going to stay in their yards, and which one's are going to come charging at me? The one's who come charging at me scare the hell out of me. The ones who stay in their yards don't scare me. But again, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW???

Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I need to correct you on this. I do not have a fear of dogs who are barking from their own yards.

I HAVE BEEN CHARGED and cornered by a dog that was barking from its own yard and then RAN OUT INTO THE STREET. So, how am I supposed to know which dogs who are viciously barking at me are going to stay in their yards, and which one's are going to come charging at me? The one's who come charging at me scare the hell out of me. The ones who stay in their yards don't scare me. But again, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW???
That IS a fear of dogs. And I know that is awful.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, the dog can be tethered to a run line for 3 hours a day. (I only found out that California passed this law by googling yesterday.) And, yes, I'm very well aware of why such laws are passed (usually in California first and then infecting the rest of us, sad to say, in many cases).

The thing is not whether you, personally, feeling about dogs the way you do, think that it's at all "mean" - the thing is that you are advocating something that in the state you come from has been outlawed because other people think it is.

That's one reason that I suggested you research the laws that may already be existing in your community to see if the dogs are in compliance with them, and talk to people FIRST to see if your desires are in accord with their own. It's one thing to convince a city council, quite another to live in harmony with your neighbors after you've rammed something down their throats because you want it, without first getting them on board.

And that's whether or not they say anything to your face about it. If they are on board, by all means, go for it. Just do your homework first. But, please, give your real reasons, not some "reason" that you are using only because someone on a message board gave it to you to use manipulatively. Sheesh!
CLEARLY you are a dog lover....and you seem to be one of those staunch dog lovers who feel that dog's have more right's than people, and that Fido can do no wrong. It's people like you who let their dogs out in the front yard to "lounge" and then your precious little dog, when it sees an innocent woman pass by on the street, goes ballistic and comes charging toward her. Sometimes the dog stops at the edge of the property and just barks viciously, and sometimes the dog charges into the street and corners the woman. Either way, the woman has been frightened out of her wits.

And no, the woman isn't wearing perfume or clothing that has antagonized the dog, and no, the woman isn't black (most ridiculous thing I've read on this thread so far), and no, the woman doesn't happen to be carrying tootsie rolls or doggie treats, which is the second-most ridiculous thing I've read on this thread.

So then, you, the dog owner, hear the ruckus and come out and call your dog. Your dog (reluctantly) goes to you, and then you pet him/her and coo him/her and give the woman a dirty look.

This has been my experience, and no matter how much you defend dog owners and their dogs, it is INCONSIDERATE. If your dog is going to go ballistic at passers by, then make damned sure the passerby can see that your dog is safely (and humanely) chained. There may not be any laws or ordinances forcing this, but why should there be? Shouldn't it just be basic common courtesy???

I'm done with this thread. I've said my peace.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Okay, the impression I got from your initial postings (plural) was that it was the dogs that were in unfenced yards that barked that frightened you, and that ONE dog out of all of these had charged you. So, now, I understand that what's happened is that one dog has behaved absolutely inappropriately and frightened you and so now all dogs are suspect whether they remain in their yards or not, because without you seeing a fence or a chain, you imagine that every dog that barks is going to do what that one dog did. Is that a correct understanding of the situation?

As Driller1 says, that is a fear of dogs. With an invisible fence, you would not know, without looking closely at the dog's collar, whether or not it was fenced, so an invisible fence, while an excellent idea for the dog (who doesn't have to be tied, legally or illegally, for you not to be afraid), or the owner, (who doesn't have to keep their dog inside all the time, tie it, or build a fence so that you won't be afraid), it doesn't really work to allay your fear that each dog that you see barking from their yard might run out at you, because one did.

Just saw your post. FWIW, I wasn't saying that you shouldn't proceed with trying to get a leash law (for all the good that will do you - see this post for why), but that you should do it in a way that respects your community, not in the way that ozarksboy recommended. Why? Because you're much more likely to be successful in so many ways if you do it that way. I find it interesting, though, what you managed to get out of that.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Because ultimately the only person's behavior you can change is your own. Right or wrong, it is the simple truth. Everyone could agree with you that the owners are terrible people but what do you gain? You're still in the same position you are now, stuck on a treadmill when you'd rather be outdoors.

If you can take steps to alleviate your anxiety and get back to your walking, why wouldn't you want to do that? The advice you've been given about learning to project "alpha" is the best advice you could be given - it doesn't come naturally to everyone, but it can be learned. I know, I am a cat person who was scared of dogs until my husband taught me how to interact with them. Now most dogs I meet respond better to me than to their owners because I don't let them think they are the boss of me. They know when you fear them, and they naturally want to reinforce that to maintain the more powerful position.

Perhaps you could go to a dog park where you could interact with lots of different dogs and their owners, or go walking with someone who is comfortable with dogs that can teach you how to respond properly. Someone who can observe both the dog's reactions and your's and give you some tips to modify your mindset and behavior right then when it's happening.

Your chances of getting all your neighbors to comply with your demands hovers near zero. Your chance of learning to interact with dogs in a non-fearful way is much higher if you decide that's what you want to do, and the sooner you learn, the quicker you can get back out in the sunshine.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````

Tilli has a GREAT idea...go to a dog park & get familar with different breeds & their owners. Ask some of these owners what they suggest you should do.

I think everyone that has posted on this thread, pretty much has covered everything & anything you can think of.
Why don't you try what has been suggested & go from there.

Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
CLEARLY you are a dog lover....and you seem to be one of those staunch dog lovers who feel that dog's have more right's than people, and that Fido can do no wrong. It's people like you who let their dogs out in the front yard to "lounge" and then your precious little dog, when it sees an innocent woman pass by on the street, goes ballistic and comes charging toward her. Sometimes the dog stops at the edge of the property and just barks viciously, and sometimes the dog charges into the street and corners the woman. Either way, the woman has been frightened out of her wits.

And no, the woman isn't wearing perfume or clothing that has antagonized the dog, and no, the woman isn't black (most ridiculous thing I've read on this thread so far), and no, the woman doesn't happen to be carrying tootsie rolls or doggie treats, which is the second-most ridiculous thing I've read on this thread.

So then, you, the dog owner, hear the ruckus and come out and call your dog. Your dog (reluctantly) goes to you, and then you pet him/her and coo him/her and give the woman a dirty look.

This has been my experience, and no matter how much you defend dog owners and their dogs, it is INCONSIDERATE. If your dog is going to go ballistic at passers by, then make damned sure the passerby can see that your dog is safely (and humanely) chained. There may not be any laws or ordinances forcing this, but why should there be? Shouldn't it just be basic common courtesy???

I'm done with this thread. I've said my peace.
Well I hope you feel satisfied that you were able to *vent* here. I personally would not let someone keep me from enjoying fresh air and excercise...no way, no how!!!! Nothing will change if you don't take action. I have encountered many dog owners whose dogs are trained to stay in the yard, now if they come out of the yard there lies the problem. You really should talk to that individual person, animal control or police. If they are already giving you a dirty look why are you worried about reporting them?

Last edited by gold*dust1; 02-18-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I may be incorrect, but get the impression you have a particular route you walk. Should you not know by now the dogs along that route and which one(s) stay in the yared and which one(s) dont?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Default use stink stick

just walk with a stick with dog doo doo on the end of it... if the dogs chase you.. u should rub the stinky end of the stick on those bad dogs when the owners of the dogs get home and smell their stinky dogs.. they will keep there dogs inside ...i would keep my dog inside rather than cleaning doo doo off of them every day.... it's a stinky solution to the problem oohhh and it realy do's not mater what stink you use rotten eggs work well stink is stink... dogs love stinky stuff people don't!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living