Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,582,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
$50 a chicken, from a family of seven? That's blood from a turnip...

My chickens are for eggs and meat - inside MY freezer, not her dog. I have no use for chicken killin dogs nor the people who allow them to run free, any more than I have any use for folks who think that their dogs have the right off of their property to bother other people. That isn't a dog lover, it's a passive-aggressive looking for empowerment. "Hee hee - don't mind ME, I'm gonna do whatever I please and you'll just have to put up with it!"

Um - no.
If you have chicken killin dog coming on your land destroying what you paid your hard earned money for, Shoot Them. EZ as that. You know the owner doesn't care about them when they run loose. Also different kinds of poisons work good too. As long as the poisons are on your land and dogs get into it when on your land trying too kill your chickens, Will that's just too bad. Just make sure the chickens don't get too it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Or, say, your or someone else's kids. But what does that matter, if it kills a dog?

I don't hold with dog-killing chickens and have re-homed a couple that couldn't stop it, to good homes that weren't anywhere near chickens. Made great kid pets. But poisoning an animal, causing that kind of suffering? That really does say a whole lot more about the person than the dog.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or, say, your or someone else's kids. But what does that matter, if it kills a dog?

I don't hold with dog-killing chickens and have re-homed a couple that couldn't stop it, to good homes that weren't anywhere near chickens. Made great kid pets. But poisoning an animal, causing that kind of suffering? That really does say a whole lot more about the person than the dog.
Yes, it sure does. In Michigan it could get you 2-7 years as a guest of the MDOC. Ask Micheal Vick about animal abuse ruining your life.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, it sure does. In Michigan it could get you 2-7 years as a guest of the MDOC. Ask Micheal Vick about animal abuse ruining your life.
I am not sure, But I would have too think the Micheal Vick animal abuse case and self defense when on public land and protecting our property is 100% two deferent things. Dog fighting is clearly abuse even if it does help to eradicate pit bulls.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Poisoning dogs (or any other animal) is clearly abuse, as well. Criminal abuse, just about anywhere, as it happens. Usually, when animal poisonings happen, not only do the police seek to find the perpetrator, but they're considered by society in general, rightfully, to be sick.

You don't have to like dogs. Lots of people don't. But there's a far stretch between that and poisoning them or beating them with baseball bats. The latter crosses a line that society has drawn as to what is acceptable and what is not, not in small part because the kind of person who does those kinds of things to animals is only one short step away from doing them to people who annoy them or happen to be in their way.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I am not sure, But I would have too think the Micheal Vick animal abuse case and self defense when on public land and protecting our property is 100% two deferent things. Dog fighting is clearly abuse even if it does help to eradicate pit bulls.
You support dog fighting?? Do you fight your chickens??

Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Poisoning dogs (or any other animal) is clearly abuse, as well. Criminal abuse, just about anywhere, as it happens. Usually, when animal poisonings happen, not only do the police seek to find the perpetrator, but they're considered by society in general, rightfully, to be sick.

You don't have to like dogs. Lots of people don't. But there's a far stretch between that and poisoning them or beating them with baseball bats. The latter crosses a line that society has drawn as to what is acceptable and what is not, not in small part because the kind of person who does those kinds of things to animals is only one short step away from doing them to people who annoy them or happen to be in their way.
You are clearly a bonafide dog lover, and nobody can really fault you for that. Plenty of people love dogs.

When I started this thread, I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't go for a peaceful walk around a residential city block without having dogs come racing out of their yards onto the sidewalk or into the street and viciously barking at me....and on a couple of occasions, even circling me in a threatening manner.

My point was (and is) that owners of dogs who will not stay in their yards when people walk by on the sidewalk or in the street, need to keep their dogs tied up, fenced, or otherwise restrained. People have a right to walk along a sidewalk or along the side of the road, without having the crap scared out of them by dogs who think they have to protect their turf. It's very hard for a person to REALLY know if the dog is just posturing, or if it will actually attack.

I personally don't ever want to be put in the position of having to bash a dog with a baseball bat or spray it with pepper spray. Therefore, I just don't walk outdoors anymore.

But I still stand by my original complaint that there is no justification for owners to allow their dogs to terrorize innocent passers by.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.
First t is not the dogs fault, its the people who have them that are the issue.
Secondly I am totally appalled at your statement "I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest". Your comment is sicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Wow this thread is still around? It's as simple as this: get your dog trained. If you live in a city, nobody wants to hear it barking every 5 minutes. And as hard as it is to accept, some breeds only play nice around the owner.

Last edited by nomore07; 04-26-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You support dog fighting?? Do you fight your chickens??
When and where did I say that I support dog fighting ?
I don't ! The only time I will do something too a dog, We have gone over this many times. Or chicken fighting. May be the chickens fight some before I whack their heads off just before I skin them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living