Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times

Advertisements

For anybody who saw this special last friday night, what did you think of it? I felt really bad for Shawn Grim, the football player. I just could not understand how people there have money for cigs, alcohol, mountain dew and drugs, but they have no money for food. It was a sad show and makes that area look really bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
There's another thread on this going right now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ppalachia.html

Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
also a thread going on the Kentucky forum

Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
For anybody who saw this special last friday night, what did you think of it? I felt really bad for Shawn Grim, the football player. I just could not understand how people there have money for cigs, alcohol, mountain dew and drugs, but they have no money for food. It was a sad show and makes that area look really bad
I thought the show was riveting! (I appreciate a good documentary)
I wondered why someone from the community or the producers wouldn't have jumped in to sponser Shawn??? I hear there is going to be an update show and I am so hoping to hear this young man gets a break!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
My parents watched it and said that the area hadn't changed at all since my Dad taught school for a time in nearby West Virginia in the early 1970s.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM

647 posts, read 2,082,768 times
That documentary perpetuates the stereotype that us Kentuckians are a bunch of toothless, dumb hill-billies. They could have picked out any number of states that have similar issues of poverty.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
My husband and his family are originally from one of the Appalachian towns in the documentary. The same one that Shawn Grim is from.

My husbands parents pulled themselves up by their bootstraps, moved away from the area and made a wonderful life for themselves and their kids. No drugs or drinking and good educations for their children, etc...
They are a testament to the old saying that "where there is a will, there is a way."

The documentary is terribly sad to watch because of the little kids. As for their parents, I have little tolerance for those individuals who think selling drugs will give them a better life. Instead of taking their drug money to buy more drugs, why not use it to buy groceries. Weak willed, lazy people, IMO.
Wanting a better life requires the gumption to make it happen. I'm not very tolerant of folks who sit on their duff and complain about their lives yet do nothing to help themselves.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
ABC Nightly News reported that the head of Pepsi will try to educate people not to over use their beverages.

She also said Pepsi was buying and donating a mobile dental lab to be used in that area.

There is one in use now where the dentist paid $150,000 of his own money for.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
That documentary perpetuates the stereotype that us Kentuckians are a bunch of toothless, dumb hill-billies. They could have picked out any number of states that have similar issues of poverty.

I agree with you.

That documentary did nothing but reinforce stereotypes of Appalachia.

They could have chosen Elkhart County,Indiana ground zero to the "Great Recession" 15.4% unemployed in Elkhart County

Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The appalachia and te delts are the two poorest regions in the country. Sawyer didn't come up woith this Ex-president clinton and bush 1 have been goig around treying to do something about these regions being negelcted. neglected because in the politics od poverty it has thew maasss majority of poverty in teh nation but get very little help. The urban cites the the vast majority. I guesss if these peole rioted they would egt the attention that urban cities got after the roits from fear. Its bascially about the uinfirnesss of the system reaslly. It shows trhat they unlike thier urban counterpsrts are getting the shortend of the stick and are people of pride and self reliance.Its the politucs fo the vote .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living