Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM

41 posts, read 168,673 times

Advertisements

Southwestern OK goes for 1000-1500 per acre, dependent upon the wildlife. A house in the 150 -300,000 range would go for millions in CA. 1 million in OK would buy a house with lots of acreage, water and livestock. If you worked it, the livestock would pay the mortgage.

Our winters only last three months and we only have a couple of nasty ice storms, otherwise, it was close to 70 last week and I was running around in a t-shirt. I scraped ice today, in a sweat-shirt and it warmed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 12:01 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
I think Wyoming has some of the cheapest land. Of course, you have to have drinking water delivered, and the towns aren't all that close to the land, but nothing is perfect.

First thing I did when I started looking was check the locations of nuclear power plants. Would be a really nasty surprise to find out the hard way your perfect place is downwind from a radioactive OOPS. Then check for chemical oopses, you wouldn't want yourself living too close to a Love Canal, either. Go from there. And if it's a rural place with it's own well, make sure it's tested and potable, and make sure the plumbing and septic systems have been checked recently. It's not a happy surprise to find yourself with a septic tank way overdue for pumping, or pipes eaten away by minerals, or that the 'septic system' is a settling lagoon. Those really suck.

Just a few things to think about.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 PM

125 posts, read 435,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I would go for TN, KY, WV, OH, maybe something like Cumberland, MD .....
Cumberland is one of the coldest places in MD. It would be just about as cold as PA; colder than some parts of it

Old 02-17-2008, 03:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
Cumberland is one of the coldest places in MD. It would be just about as cold as PA; colder than some parts of it
Yuppers- same with parts of WV near the panhandle- spectacular scenery in mtns, but higher elevations have significant snow accumulation.

Check out USDA growing zones for a real indication of the weather. Southern part of WV is zone 5- much milder winters. Warmest part of WV is near Huntington, the outskirts of huntington have larger secluded properties that are still close enough to civilization to keep you in latte every now and again.
Once you know the areas that work for you, check out landandfarm.com for prices.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,415 times
I am from Tennessee and we seem to be having a lot of people grabbing land here from along the coastal lines. Our winters are not too cold for very long, about 3 months, not much snow at least in Western Tennessee, Spring and Summer almost run together, with the warmest months being July and August and have know to reach into October. Do any of you own land in Tennessee?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
First thing I did when I started looking was check the locations of nuclear power plants. Would be a really nasty surprise to find out the hard way your perfect place is downwind from a radioactive OOPS.
As someone who is moving near a nuclear power plant for hubby's job, I have to say there is no toxic cloud from those plants. They release no radioactivity to the atmosphere. The last nuclear accident in the US occurred 29 years ago and no radioactivity was released. In fact, radiation readings near TMI were higher in the aftermath of Chernobyl than the TMI incident. There are many nice small towns near plants. Sorry about the rant. I just really believe in nuclear power.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 AM

208 posts, read 872,339 times
Talking Where?!!

KevK,where in Kansas are you talking about?I lived there for years and never heard of free land?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 AM

208 posts, read 872,339 times
Talking website

Cost of Living 3rd Quarter 2007 This is from the Missouri Department of Economic Development-they update it quarterly,it is GREAT.The current 10 state for best cost of living overall are TN,SD,TX,OK,MO,KS,MS,NE,AR,ID.They have it broken down per category in each of the 50 states-one of the criteria being cost of housing.I hope I did this right,I am computer illiterate

Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
KevK,where in Kansas are you talking about?I lived there for years and never heard of free land?
Probably more in Western Kansas. There are some Nebraska towns doing the same things, Kennesaw, Central City, Fullterton and Elwood to name a few.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Probably more in Western Kansas. There are some Nebraska towns doing the same things, Kennesaw, Central City, Fullterton and Elwood to name a few.
Argonia, Kansas is one place I know of where free land is being offered. 45 minutes southwest of Wichita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living