Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
KevK,where in Kansas are you talking about?I lived there for years and never heard of free land?
The report I saw mentioned Ellsworth Kansas. Here is the NBC report:

Free land in the heartland draws newcomers - Life - MSNBC.com

I recall that, as a child growing up in Kansas that it was a beautiful state. Gentle rolling hills and you could drive for miles and miles without seeing anything but farms and silos. It was a desired place to live and have a family. It was a place where people were born and came back to retire and die. It used to be that 90% of all Kansans died within 100 miles of where they were born. Small towns in Kansas thrived on a good farm economy. It was also a friendly and tolerant state. There was never any racial strife there and even homosexuality was more accepted there than most other places outside the coast. I remember as a kid when we would drive north of Salina through the Soloman River Valley and it was a great place to be. I don't know what happened to Kansas. It seems that there is little there for the young people to stay home for anymore. They grow up and go off to college or the service and never come back home because there is no future for them there. Even if they come back to the state, they end up in Wichita or the Kansas City area. They don't come back to places like Concordia, Dodge City, Beloit, Galena, Syracuse or Goodland anymore. These places need repopulation of young people which is why they started this program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 AM

266 posts, read 911,327 times
Oklahoma is very cheap, and the people are so nice! We found that just about everything--food, property taxes, housing, restaurants--was cheap. Worth checking out. Weather-wise, I think the worst thing is it is very often windy, if you can learn to live with that.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Probably more in Western Kansas. There are some Nebraska towns doing the same things, Kennesaw, Central City, Fullterton and Elwood to name a few.
I had forgotten about that... Here's a little more info from a State economic development website.
  • Callaway Considering offering lots. Village phone 308-836-2262
  • Central City Considering offering lots. Contact Chris Anderson, city administrator, 308-946-3806
  • Curtis (Program 1) Ed Cole, Curtis Telephone Co., 308-367-4151, ecole@curtis-ne.com (build single family house) (Program 2) Jerry Wilcox, city manager, 308-367-4122 (build house overlooking Arrowhead Meadows Golf Course)
  • Elwood Residential lots for new home construction. Contact Todd Wilson, village attorney or Jim Varvel, Security Bank, 308-785-3366.
  • Kenesaw Residential lots for new home construction. Approximately 12 have been claimed as of June 2005. Contact Mark Keiser, President Adams County Bank, 109 North Smith Avenue Kenesaw, NE 68956, 402-752-3235, or Lila Gamble, city clerk, 402-752-3222.
  • Loup City Residential lots in a new subdivision as of June 2005. Contact Annette Galloway, city clerk, 308-745-0222.
  • Oxford Considering offering lots. Contact village office 308 824-3511.
  • Reynolds Contact Jerry Ginn (402) 324-3174

Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Check out Texas, especially around the Tyler or Dallas areas. Very reasonable as far as housing. Property taxes are a bit higher, but you can get an amazing home around $150k. You can actually go down in price and still get something very nice. Good Luck!
I would not recommend Tyler. I'm from MD and my family got transferred there when I was a senior so I know what it would be like to move from the mid-Atlantic to there. The land is sandy with a lot of scrub pine. It's not the best for farming (sheep maybe). Lots of fire ants, lots of scorpions, both hot and humid. It sucked so badly I joined the Navy to get out. Not to mention the fact that I got tired of being called "yankee" and being told that I was going to hell because I was Catholic. Also, just so you know, Smith County (where Tyler is) is a dry county. You can get liquor in restaurants but you can't take anything home or buy packaged goods.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Default West Texas

Land in western Texas is warm and you can get it for less than $300 ot $400 an acre. If you head 3 hours NE of El Paso, you'll be able to find land and a house for real deal but you'll have to use Sat internet to trade all your stocks. Jeff Brazos (Amazon) bought thousands of acres in west Texas to develop his private space exploration project because the weather is predictable and land is cheap.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
looking for two acres good people, cheap price, final stand

Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez View Post
warm climate within reason. had enough of winter since i was born in pa. and lived there until 2 yrs ago. now in ca. great weather here but traffic sucks and prices are sick. willing to move anywhere in the country since i trade stocks from home.
I'm a stock options trader myself but getting out by end of the year to work a peice of land. I'm with u, I'm so done with winter and being inside so much half of the year. I'm looking at eastern nc. Between the ocean and peidmont. There are a few mid sized cities there, but plenty of open land inbetween. I also chose this area because of its bike routes and pine forests like I had in south jersey.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I am looking to retire to a small city in New Mexico. The COL is supposed to be 40% less than here and house prices reflect that. The proximity to a world class university and a decent size hospital just sweetens the deal.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
heh, so many people can't take the cold. i love it.
just don't make me take the heat. anything over 80 i get uncomfortable,
over 85 and i just get plain ornery, constantly sweating, having to wear shorts
all the time, blowing $ on AC.
I wonder how the OP made out. I trade stocks too.
Lots of good suggestions. Remember, unless you plan to actually farm
or do something with the land, what surrounds you is just as important
as what you own. And there's no reason to own land without power unless
it's for mineral claims, or you want to build a green home. Always confirm zoning
with the local authorities.

Last edited by Snowball7; 01-30-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM

55 posts, read 180,200 times
Have you checked out wyoming? They have very little taxes, which makes it appealing for both businesses and homeowners. You will save a fortune if you move there and, if you have kids, their school systems are very well funded (oil).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living