Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Check out Texas, especially around the Tyler or Dallas areas. Very reasonable as far as housing. Property taxes are a bit higher, but you can get an amazing home around $150k. You can actually go down in price and still get something very nice. Good Luck!
Dallas area sucks big time for its humongous traffic and HIGH property taxes, also higher beer prices, higher on most anything, compared to Oklahoma. Summer arrives sooner and hangs around longer. You can get a more amazing house for $150k in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
Granted MOST people HATE the cold...BUT, I remain firm on Northern ND being VERY cheap compared to most states.

6 cars within 5 miles of eachother on the Interstate is considered a traffic jam up here! LOL... doesn't get much more hassel-free than that does it? AND, 4 out of those 5 cars are Canadians driving to Grand Forks to go shopping!
Is your part of North Dakota being affected by the energy boom like crazy? I've heard McDonald's is paying $15 an hour for help and still can't find enough workers. Sometimes they have to close, because it's so hard to find workers.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Moderate warm climate- Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana. Less moderate climate- they will give you free land in some parts of Kansas if you agree to live there a certain amount of time.
I have driven through western Kansas. It was more dull than Oklahoma. I wouldn't advise people moving there, unless they would relish the isolation and the occasional blizzards.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetkiller View Post
Southwestern OK goes for 1000-1500 per acre, dependent upon the wildlife. A house in the 150 -300,000 range would go for millions in CA. 1 million in OK would buy a house with lots of acreage, water and livestock. If you worked it, the livestock would pay the mortgage.

Our winters only last three months and we only have a couple of nasty ice storms, otherwise, it was close to 70 last week and I was running around in a t-shirt. I scraped ice today, in a sweat-shirt and it warmed up.
I wouldn't advise southwestern Oklahoma. The area has some nice rocky hills for scenery but towns, such as Altus are on the decline. Also summer arrives there too soon in the season. Is it true that it got up to 105 degrees there just the other day? Temperatures just don't get that crazy bad so early in northern and eastern Oklahoma.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,907,904 times
Actually, the state with the cheapest land, and that is what the op is looking for, would be in Alaska.Big State few people, makes Wyoming look small. The downfall is it cost a lot to live there., in food, and other necessary items. Wages are high, just like ND. but if you are retired that means little I would think.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM

17 posts, read 39,546 times
My little town of Knoxville, Georgia is definitaly warn, very little traffic (except for the downtown), but land is relatively high, for some reason. Guess it depends on what street you put your driveway on. Like my house is on a small little road that comes off a highway, but our land still touches the highway, making it go waaaay up. So I guess you could pick a small little street and build you a hut out thar in tha woods with no driveway, an' yull fit raght in!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 PM

744 posts, read 810,162 times
Maine is cheap as hell

Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,782,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Maine is cheap as hell
Compared to MA, but not the Midwest. Lived in Maine for 20 years and it is MUCH cheaper overall living in the Midwest. Land prices have been steadily climbing in ME.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,907,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Maine is cheap as hell
Not costal Maine , however there are places in Maine where my theory of finding the low cost areas that are close to the mega buck players, have both . I for one would not want to live in the lowest cost, cheap, undesirable areas no matter where it is. There has been some great deals on houses in wealthy areas these past 3 years. Some might still be available , but the tide is changing fast. If you have money when others do not there is always an opportunity.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,290,630 times
If you factor in COL and wages, Maine is one of the poorest states, if not the poorest state. Stuff costs more because Maine is at the end of a lot of supply chains. You pretty much need a very good car for winters. Most things are a distance from anything else, especially if you buy cheaper land/housing. Friends of mine bought 60 acres nowhere near utilities for $10K, built a cabin by hand, and had a four-mile logging road for the winters (which they had to ski down a hill to get to their parked cars). It was an hour drive to anything, in between Waterville and Augusta. She worked in one city or the other, he maintained the many off-grid systems. He said they spent most of their spending on transportation.
I would live in Maine versus the expenses of housing in Mass. if I wanted to, but would live in a town, like Bath. But overall, it's not a particularly cheap state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living