Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If you factor in COL and wages, Maine is one of the poorest states, if not the poorest state. Stuff costs more because Maine is at the end of a lot of supply chains. You pretty much need a very good car for winters. Most things are a distance from anything else, especially if you buy cheaper land/housing. Friends of mine bought 60 acres nowhere near utilities for $10K, built a cabin by hand, and had a four-mile logging road for the winters (which they had to ski down a hill to get to their parked cars). It was an hour drive to anything, in between Waterville and Augusta. She worked in one city or the other, he maintained the many off-grid systems. He said they spent most of their spending on transportation.
I would live in Maine versus the expenses of housing in Mass. if I wanted to, but would live in a town, like Bath. But overall, it's not a particularly cheap state.
I spent a few days in Camden a while back. ( Actually it was very remembered ,it was on 9/11 ) . Quite a summer resort town ( the kind I like). very nice quaint small city by the sea. I would guess it is one of the most expensive places you could live , property wise. However, my personal evaluation ,when I got on the back streets was there were quite a few average or less laid back places, that looked affordable. Just a quick look, but one worth looking into for my " plan" that has worked in Fla. NC. Mi., I lived among the wealthy, had all the same services they did, when I wanted them,....and when it came time to sell and move on to the next opportunity in another state, I made a nice profit on the house I built, without giving up any services or long travel time to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
... Land prices have been steadily climbing in ME.
Good point, it is hard to find forested land in Me today for under $300/acre. It is hard to do. You almost forced today into paying $350 or more.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Good point, it is hard to find forested land in Me today for under $300/acre. It is hard to do. You almost forced today into paying $350 or more.
I know you are making fun of cost per acre, but , whats getting rare here in Upper Michigan, and I suppose Maine as well is small enough parcels that the total cost can be affordable. There are many people out there that are land poor. Hundreds of acres that they pay taxes on but year after year produce nothing in revenue. many Townships will not allow some of the large parcels to be broken up, reasons run from road safety to environmental concerns. We have thousands of acres up here in the UP that have been put into land trusts for just that reason....no income, just taxes.. This does narrow the availability of someone going out there and carving out a prime view 10 acres or so. being a little close to an resort, or summer place area makes it even worse.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I know you are making fun of cost per acre,...
Yes.

We paid $300/acre in 2005.

And today the cost of land is still $300/acre.

The 'steadiness' of the climbing prices was my point.

Quote:
... but , whats getting rare here in Upper Michigan, and I suppose Maine as well is small enough parcels that the total cost can be affordable. There are many people out there that are land poor. Hundreds of acres that they pay taxes on but year after year produce nothing in revenue. many Townships will not allow some of the large parcels to be broken up, reasons run from road safety to environmental concerns. We have thousands of acres up here in the UP that have been put into land trusts for just that reason....no income, just taxes.. This does narrow the availability of someone going out there and carving out a prime view 10 acres or so. being a little close to an resort, or summer place area makes it even worse.
I can see that.

90% of Maine is forest. However due to the management methods much of this forest can only be harvested once every 80-years. Which puts a long stretch between revenue streams.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Yes.

We paid $300/acre in 2005.

And today the cost of land is still $300/acre.

The 'steadiness' of the climbing prices was my point.

I can see that.

90% of Maine is forest. However due to the management methods much of this forest can only be harvested once every 80-years. Which puts a long stretch between revenue streams.
Now tell the rest of the story behind your $300 an acre land you built on. Low, wet and you have posted a photo of you going in your front door paddling your kayak. $300 an acre land in Maine is SCARCE. I lived there for 20 years, how long have you been there now? Even rural Aroostook and Washington Counties have seen increases in land value and prices. Sorry to disappoint you, but some of us know the "rest of your story" and you never paint a true picture of Maine OR it's COL for 95% of the people that live there or will move there. How much is the land across the road from you selling for now? You mentioned in past posts it went for $600 an acre several years ago... why? Because it is higher ground and more desirable.

Very, very little of the forest there is harvested every 80 years. Most is harvested every 25-30 years for pulpwood. I agree that the forest management methods are light years behind where they should be, but 80 years is a BIG stretch.

I know when you first joined this forum the cost per acre you quoted that you paid was much higher, it has gone down steadily with passing posts. Makes me wonder what else you fudge on here.
Quote:
Mine down here cost me $950/acre with 1/4 mile of riverfrontage on the Penobscot river. Across the road the woodlots go for $350/acre [there are not water frontage though].
Quote:
I am on 42 acres of riverfrontage, that I paid $900/acre for.

Last edited by Bydand; 04-27-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
... How much is the land across the road from you selling for now? You mentioned in past posts it went for $600 an acre several years ago... why? Because it is higher ground and more desirable.
Your confused.

One property I have is river frontage are we got it for $900.

The second was $350, it is slightly higher.

A third property we were offered was $300. It is still $300.

Quote:
... Very, very little of the forest there is harvested every 80 years. Most is harvested every 25-30 years for pulpwood. I agree that the forest management methods are light years behind where they should be, but 80 years is a BIG stretch.
I am a woodlot owner. I attend workshops on the topic, and I have a certified forester advising me.

Quote:
... I know when you first joined this forum the cost per acre you quoted that you paid was much higher, it has gone down steadily with passing posts. Makes me wonder what else you fudge on here.
Mostly topics from within your mind.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Your past posts and present posts are not from my mind.

You just posted you paid $300 an acre in 2005, when in 2007 you posted your initial land purchase was either $900 or $950 an acre depending on how truthful you were back then. Afterward you bought another parcel for $350. How are YOUR past posts from my mind? I doubt even you know the real truth anymore, you spin the facts on here so much it must be confusing to keep it all straight.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM

We were offered three adjoining parcels of land. One at roughly $900, one at roughly 350, and one at roughly 300. I bought one of them, my inlaws bought one. I manage both, I commonly say 'we'. [I assume nobody wants to hear about my inlaws.]

I apologize if I have caused confusion in this matter.

The property that I have said was "900" was actually like 912 and change [plus the $200 legal fee for the deed].

The 300 property would also require some legal fee for it's deed, title search and insurance. That fee may have risen by now I do not know. It would not be exactly 300/acre. 300 to the seller plus the legal fee.

I have bought properties before where the realtor fees came out to being as much as $6,000 on top of the purchase price. I am glad now to have gotten out of that world of doing things. The added fees can totally change the per-acre price when the fees are so huge like that.

I attempt to round numbers for conversation sake. This seems to offend you. Perhaps in the future, I can dig out math and only speak of the exact numbers if you prefer. It was not my intent to offend you.

I did find that king guy you were talking about once with his radio station. I had to mount a radio antenna outside our house to pull in the signal. Our radio being inside our house was not able to get enough of the signal before. I seem to think that you got offended once before because my radio could not find his station. So I apologize for that too. I had not heard of him, nor his radio station. Now by moving our radio antenna outside, I got the signal and have now gotten a few other radio stations. Thank you

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM

744 posts, read 811,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If you factor in COL and wages, Maine is one of the poorest states, if not the poorest state. Stuff costs more because Maine is at the end of a lot of supply chains. You pretty much need a very good car for winters. Most things are a distance from anything else, especially if you buy cheaper land/housing. Friends of mine bought 60 acres nowhere near utilities for $10K, built a cabin by hand, and had a four-mile logging road for the winters (which they had to ski down a hill to get to their parked cars). It was an hour drive to anything, in between Waterville and Augusta. She worked in one city or the other, he maintained the many off-grid systems. He said they spent most of their spending on transportation.
I would live in Maine versus the expenses of housing in Mass. if I wanted to, but would live in a town, like Bath. But overall, it's not a particularly cheap state.
There are some pretty affordable places which are nice in MA, though not as far as land really when compared with ME. I have to say the way your friends live sounds very dangerous, what happens if one of them has a medical emergency? They wouldn't be able to get help, or are there helicopters that come get people?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 AM

744 posts, read 811,852 times
Quote:
Your confused.

One property I have is river frontage are we got it for $900.

The second was $350, it is slightly higher.

A third property we were offered was $300. It is still $300.

I am a woodlot owner. I attend workshops on the topic, and I have a certified forester advising me.

How many acres do you have all together big stud?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living