Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I certainly would never hire an arrogant "sue happy" person to drill my well !!!!!!!!!!!!
I will be here to back you warranty. Not sure of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
So, you're sort of a reverse Robin Hood?
You steal from individuals, and give to the government and to corporate America?

Too bad Bush isn't still president; he might've found a place in his administration for someone like you.
You know NOTHING about the case. Are you the new Miss Cleo???

Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
As to the original topic of this thread, I still see alot of gaps in the story. On the surface , it seems the injured lad was in a situation that I would not condone MY son being in. But, kids will be kids, and these days hyper violent solutions to everyday problems seem to be more and more prevalent. It does disturb me that small town America is falling into this pit. I live out here in the weeds so as to keep this type of thing at arms length and to impart a better way of thinking to my son. This sounds like the big city to me. From my way of thinking, boys are going to scrap with each other in the process of growing up, but this is a bit over the top from a good ,old fashioned scrap. One of my best and lifelong friends is a guy whom I had a schoolyard fight with. Started out hating each other and now we are as tight as any two brothers. Sheesh, whatever happened to THAT type of 'country livin'.?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As to the original topic of this thread, I still see alot of gaps in the story. On the surface , it seems the injured lad was in a situation that I would not condone MY son being in. But, kids will be kids, and these days hyper violent solutions to everyday problems seem to be more and more prevalent. It does disturb me that small town America is falling into this pit. I live out here in the weeds so as to keep this type of thing at arms length and to impart a better way of thinking to my son. This sounds like the big city to me. From my way of thinking, boys are going to scrap with each other in the process of growing up, but this is a bit over the top from a good ,old fashioned scrap. One of my best and lifelong friends is a guy whom I had a schoolyard fight with. Started out hating each other and now we are as tight as any two brothers. Sheesh, whatever happened to THAT type of 'country livin'.?
My son has a lifelong friend and their relationship started out that way, with them fighting (though not anything like the way described in the OP - for one thing, they were in 4th grade or thereabouts). They met at a private school in the middle of the city. So that kind of thing is not by any means limited to the country. There's something else at work there.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
As to the original topic of this thread, I still see alot of gaps in the story. On the surface , it seems the injured lad was in a situation that I would not condone MY son being in. But, kids will be kids, and these days hyper violent solutions to everyday problems seem to be more and more prevalent. It does disturb me that small town America is falling into this pit. I live out here in the weeds so as to keep this type of thing at arms length and to impart a better way of thinking to my son. This sounds like the big city to me.
You think a teen getting his jaw broken in a fight over a girl is a new thing?
Or only a new thing in rural areas?

Either way, I believe you're deluding yourself.
A hundred years ago, the young men probably would've had a duel, and only one of them would've walked away.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Get the whole story,or as much of one as you can... assess contributory blame and if your son isn't totally totally innocent (sucker punch or gang up, for instance) make him help/pay the bills and learn a lesson.

If he is truely a victim, press charges and obtain a legal fault and go for a civil judgement for expenses, if not court ordered.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt4s View Post
We live in a small town and this past week my son was at a party and things got heated over a girl. The town punk hit my son and then climbed on him and hit him until he was out cold. My sons arms were pinned so he could not fight back or defend himself. He has had to have his jaw wired shut because of a compound fracture to his jaw. The local police are doing little because my son can't remember much. What can I do to make him pay? My son is 17 and the boy that hit him is 18
Unless your son has a witness to his getting beat up then this might be a tough thing to prove. I would take the "punk" to court and see what happens and at least get the medical bills paid. I don't know if this punk at age 18 is of legal age to have to pay on his own or if his parents would have to pay...not an attorney so I would consult an attorney just to see if it would be worthwhile to sue. Might end up costing you more money than it is worth to prosecute the punk. There is always one bully around somewhere that gets away with too much, huh??

Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I agree with your theory that violent resolution seems to be the norm now when teens and youth in general try to solve problems and it is getting more prevalent with girls now as well. You can't say, however, that this is more likely to happen in the city as I know for sure and for certain that these "beating" things have taken place in rural america for years. I use to live in Northern Maine in a small town population 300. I was the town manager up there for years and got called to an episode outside one of the residents homes. Two men had an older man between them and all three were drunk and brawling. The two men were taking the older man and shoving him back and forth between them. The old guy would fall down and they would pick him up and start tossing him around again. Yet another incident....a town resident who had been dabbling in selling pot, disappeared for 3 weeks and was found all beat up, drugged and disoriented in a woods camp..half dead. Country folks are normally more careful not to get caught which is why a lot of these beatings probably don't get the "press" that they do in the city.

Violence is violence no matter where you live. You can't run far enough nor live deep enough in the "weeds" to keep it out of your life. All you can do is teach your children that to be violent is not the way to solve any problem and to put physical harm on another human being is against everything that is right and moral. If we don't teach our children from the time they are little that violence does exist and that unless they learn to walk away from it and respect what could happen to them, then they too will become part of the evil that violence is. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that you will be safe living way out in the woods or in the "WEEDS". Unless you are prepared to go live at the North Pole and totally segregate yourself from life in general, then you will run into some form of violence at some point in your life...and I don't mean that it will be direct violence either..,you could see it or be a witness to it and that in itself can bring on that old fight or flight feeling.

I know the Country is a great place to raise kids...I lived there. I know the Country is a great place to retire...I would love to be able to afford to do that. I know the percentage of bad stuff in the Country is way lower than where I live but this is my Home and it is the city and I do deal with what goes on here; from a distance. In the 60 plus years of my life I would say 50 of it has been city life and I wouldn't change that...but I do respect what can and cannot happen here and really wish that others would try to understand that not all city life is bad.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
LOL You are very wrong. He is a she. She invested the money. Bought equipment, provided jobs. I buy supplies, $10,000/$25,000 a month. How much have YOU done for the economy?? My new rig was $460,000. That is the tip of the iceberg.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,312 times
As far as the regular topic. Like most are saying a lot of holes to fill. Who knows who actually started the fight in the first place? Seems if the injuries are this severe and the local law enforcement is not doing something, that just possibly the kid who lost is the one who threw the first punch.

And why are we as a nation so set on sueing someone else all the time? In this case, the injured kid probably had a lot to do with the outcome, sure the other boy could of let off and should of, but both parties are to blame, so accept that, pay your own bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living