Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:23 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

The only thing Hollywood cares about is box office sales. Well they care about indoctrinating kids to the left too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 AM

49 posts, read 113,936 times
So when are the small town people going to pool resources together to do a motion picture about ignorant Hollywood people?

The closes I have seen is SOB, a Blake Edwards production that seemed to have some real sour grapes in that comedy after his last Pink Panther flop when Peter Sellers died. It's one of the funniest movies I know, and certainly one which Hollywood deserves.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 PM

114 posts, read 268,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Actually all of the movies I mentioned involve big city folks going into a small town or rural area and getting themselves in trouble with 1 or more of the locals for "trespassing" into their neck of the woods, and there for the crazy local or locals decide that these big city folks or person needs to die.
Aw hell, we just meant to SCARE 'em a little...........

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
most unfair. hollywood has a definite agenda.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
On the whole, Hollywood is as pompous and arrogant as it is narrow-minded and idiotic, and nauseates me to no end. (Bill Maher and Whoopi Goldberg would probably get my vote as its king and queen)

And no, I'm not from a small town.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM

135 posts, read 387,167 times
If anybody takes that literally as how rural living is, they have some serious problems that needs to be looked at.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Movies like "Psycho", "Wrong Turn", "Deliverance", "Cabin Fever", "I Spit On Your Grave", "Vacancy", "2001 Maniacs" "The Wicker Man" "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "The Devil's Rejects", etc portray rural and small town America as a place full of crazy hicks who's favorite hobbies are murder, rape, bizarre religious cults, and cannibalism.
Hollywood has no more negative movies about small towns than big cities.
Plenty of horrifying things have been shown in large cities.
I think you're searching for something that really isn't there. Sorry, but it's all in your head.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
To OP,
If I had to guess, because Hollywood is left leaning, pro AIPAC, etc. and small town USA is perceived as conservative christian, simple as that.

But it's not just small town portrayals. It's ubiquitous.

Consider the final scenes of "A Few Good Men". All the white males are portrayed as screwed up somehow. Nathan Jessup is a psychotic power monger, Tom Cruise's character has a Peter Pan complex, the Prosecuting Attorney is portrayed as a weasely, arrogant deal maker, the young white recruit on trial is portrayed as a childish worshipper of the black recruit. The only "respectable, conscientious" white male in the whole story shot himself, like all whites should, right?

On the other hand the Willy Gonzalez was a minority, the judge was black, Jenny was a woman, though white, the only "respectable, hardworking" lawyer was jewish, the dominant recruit on trial, the "smart one" was black.

Complete anti-white male propaganda throughout the entire film, and yet not set in rural anywhere.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-native71 View Post
If anybody takes that literally as how rural living is, they have some serious problems that needs to be looked at.
Many do.

After Brokeback Mountain came out, many liberal posters in a newspaper were stating most single males on farms were gay and had gay lovers.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 AM

486 posts, read 1,034,922 times
I don't understand the big beef people have with how rural areas are portrayed. Heck, big cities are portrayed as completely crime-infested cesspools, with criminals lurking around every corner and bullets whizzing all over the place. In the small town where I grew up, my grandparents would hardly ever go to Kansas City (which they usually termed 'the city', said in a disdainful manner) out of fear that they'd be shot. Hardly a statistical probability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living