Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times

Advertisements

My experience proble a life time movie don't even know the name...this happend in late 80's....

A couple of kidnapper/killer kidnapped a couple with a baby on the Oregon Coast - aducted them up to Morton Mt Rainier took Skate Creek before the husband could escape.

My neighbor heard someone out in yard in middle of night too the gun went out looking caught the husband.... He was really upset and scared. My neighbor told him on gun point "if your story is true then come in and call 911!" Which the husband did. Two or more people died I know of in shoot out from abductors in Morton before this.

They came back as a family trying to cope with what happened to them years later - all the family escaped...after the husband did get ahold of 911 at my friends house. They did a walk through the evening and stayed in touch for a few more years to try and heal. They made a movie of this.

When the movie was made haha it was totally funny. My friends had a 4,000 sq ft house.. the wood shed when questioned if it had a permit was a two story shop/garage over 2,000 sq ft - ya it did start of a chalet 600sq ft but was nice. He was a contractor that drove 90 miles at least a day one way.

and ya we are on the end of the road and yes it is a small time Place,at time 106 mailboxes 45 miles apart - he was in early thirties, good looking, in shap, but the movie made my neighbor a old man coming out of the door of his mobil home rusted out and falling down with a shot gun to question the husband!!!

Does Hollywood get it right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Doc Hollywood clearly dispels your theory,OP (I love that movie) and as previously stated, so does To Kill a Mockingbird & OldYeller, Dances With woLVEs, Beetlejuice, Forrest Gump...the list is endless.

40,000 pop. is not even a city. More like a medium sized rural town. !.
It depends on the state definition. A micropolitan area of 40,000 might be rural, but I would say usually it isn't really rural.

Further if we mean a micropolitan area with the main town being 40,000 than that's almost certainly not a "medium-sized rural town." It might not be a city, but it is a large town. Hilo, Hawaii's microplitan area is larger than some metropolitan areas.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's a bit irritating, and I'm not even from a small town. Kind of highlights how small-minded even liberal Hollywood can be.

True. But the racism (usually fairly blatant and certainly tolerated) in alot of smaller towns doesn't help the image. I see that as being the primary reason why smaller towns are often portrayed as being full of ignorant people. Racism is ignorance and it makes all of us in smaller towns look bad.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
hollywood has been putting out nothing but absolute ---- for the past 40 years. I dont know why you would care less what they thought about anything!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
a place full of crazy hicks who's favorite hobbies are murder, rape, bizarre religious cults, and cannibalism.
Sounds great to me!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Well they should look at themselves first, for crime rates, murder, occults and cannabalism before mocking smaller towns where many can still leave doors unlocked and a simple handshake works better than a written contract.
The more negative that people try to convince me about smaller towns because in a couple of years Im relocating to one, (commuting to work in a nearby town, or tornado issues, or what if something happens and your nearest neighbour is 2 acres away), the more it makes me want to go. Hollywood makes enough money off of the aliens and computerized (instead of animated) characters now, but whatever draws the money I guess. Gotta keep that glamour and bling-bling thing going on somehow....
But on the flip side, they do put out some good ones too, where they portray the smaller towns in somewhat more realistic settings (at least for the most part), its the plot that involves those towns that interest me. Field of Dreams, Hope Floats, Sweet Home Alabama, Milk Money, Fly Away Home, to name a few and did very well.
Not saying crime doesnt happen, my point is that Hollywood magnifies it in those areas.
And racism is a big issue, everywhere, but again, its magnified in some smaller towns (in the movies).

Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,208 times
Funny every time anyone from outside our area moves here they want to change things.Finally they give up and leave.

But we have thousands come here every year just to float the river run around through the woods then after Labor Day they are gone until next May.

hillman

Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
We can think of a Hollywood film with stages, backdrops and characters. So movies in rural areas have just that--that 'scary' environments and toothless hicks as stereotyped, cliched characters. Funny thing, in alot of those movies where the 'civilized' city person comes into a rural area, they are the ones floundering and lost, not the locals.

Along with the scary slasher movies are the ones (which some mentioned above) that have stories of journeys, healing, and a sense of home and friendship. I was thinking of "Forrest Gump", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Sleeping with the Enemy," "The Notebook," "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, "O Brother Where Art Thou" (a modern version of the Odyssey).

Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
We can think of a Hollywood film with stages, backdrops and characters. So movies in rural areas have just that--that 'scary' environments and toothless hicks as stereotyped, cliched characters. Funny thing, in alot of those movies where the 'civilized' city person comes into a rural area, they are the ones floundering and lost, not the locals.

Along with the scary slasher movies are the ones (which some mentioned above) that have stories of journeys, healing, and a sense of home and friendship. I was thinking of "Forrest Gump", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Sleeping with the Enemy," "The Notebook," "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, "O Brother Where Art Thou" (a modern version of the Odyssey).

I have 'Sleeping With The Enemy' and its a good movie!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The movie--Brokeback Mountain---had a lot of liberals stating that the movie was an accurate portrayal of rural/farm life as most single guys on a ranch/farm are gay and have gay lovers.

Naturally, I responded that they were idiots for drawing that conclusion.
WHAT? The movie portrayed rural areas as bastions of homophobic morons. That was the whole point of the movie. Which liberal stated that and where is the link and what did they say?

I have never heard any liberal state that most single rural/farm guys are gay. LOL. Where did you get THAT from?

What movie did you see?

In general, I have never seen Hollywood portray small towns negatively. They might overdo the idyllic white-picket fence aspect, but negative portrayals? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living